1. k2
    k2 April 1, 2009 at 8:28 am | | Reply

Well…, there was the time when I was a waitress in college at a Seafood joint @ on the bay. The staff ate dinner at 4:30pm and the restaurant opened at 5pm.

There was one bathroom in the place and it was dark &”rustic” with a single light bulb hanging from the ceiling. I ate my chowder & went in the bathroom to give myself a quick injection after the meal. Don’t remember why I injected after the meal though.
    I held the needle up to the light, and starting flicking the syringe for air bubbles. I remember thinking, “Wow, I look like a drug addict in a shooting den.”
    My thoughts were quickly confirmed when the door swung open and a woman looked at me in complete HORROR!
    My 19 year old self quickly said,” I’m a diabetic, I shoot insulin, not drugs!!” She just ran out the door.
    I left the bathroom & didn’t have a chance to dwell on what had just happened because my boss told me my first table was seated.
    Guess who was sitting at the table with her family???
    YES, I had some explaining to do!
    In the end, we all laughed about it & THEY LEFT A HUGE TIP!
    k2

2. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson April 1, 2009 at 9:20 am | | Reply

I’ve loved what I’ve seen of Haidee’s book so far, and will be picking one up for myself in the near future!

For my funny… do lows count? Once when I was a small boy, dealing with a low, my mom handed me a stack of oreos in one hand and a napkin with a glass of milk in the other. She said “now DON’T eat the napkin!” Can you guess what I did next? Yep, stuck the napkin in my mouth and started chewing! Ha!

3. Todd Shirley
    Todd Shirley April 1, 2009 at 9:30 am | | Reply

When I was first dating my wife 10 years ago, I explained that as a diabetic I might sometimes have low blood sugar and asked if she could just keep some juice or soda in her fridge to treat it. She said no problem!

However, over the next couple weeks I noticed that there was hardly ever anything in her fridge but beer and random leftovers. It was like a dorm fridge! I never complained because I always have some kind of sugar to treat lows and plus I was courting her and didn’t want to make a big deal about it.

One day I’m looking for something to drink and I find a can of diet coke in the crisper drawer. I ask her if it is her roommate’s or if I can drink it.

“No! That’s the can of soda I keep for emergencies in case you have low blood sugar!”

We still joke about it today!

-Todd Shirley

4. Jill
    Jill April 1, 2009 at 9:53 am | | Reply

Kacey got me good this morning!

She’s always been a night-time “drooler” and usually it’s on her pillow. Well this morning I went to wake her up, told her to get dressed and about 10min later she called me back in her room. She was holding her insulin pump in her hand and she says with a shocked face “Mommy! My pump leaked insulin all over my sheets!” Frantically I ran in to see this small puddle on her sheets. I started inspecting her pump (as if we havent had enough issues with that lately) and I couldn’t see where anything was leaking. I looked up to find her giggling and she says “April Fools! It’s just spit!” She had drooled on her sheets instead of her pillow! Ewwwwwww! LOL!

5. Cheryl
    Cheryl April 1, 2009 at 10:22 am | | Reply

Haidee is such a rare talent, the book is just the start!

She will also be offering our bamboo socks for diabetics with book sales :)

6. ljw
    ljw April 1, 2009 at 10:34 am | | Reply

I was given narcotics for my bronchitis, and unkown to the doctors I was “allergic” to narcotics. I was sitting in 9th grade homeroom, and everyone noticed something was up. I was staring into space and asking everyone if they saw the white dots,too. Then my teacher came over and told me to squeeze his hand. Now, my normal reaction would be “Ew! No way am I touching you!” He knew something was wrong when I actually squeezed it! So they called my mom to come pick me up and the whole time I was acting like I was drunk. I was so out of it! Finally we got to the doctor and I was better. From then on I didn’t even touch the medicine! haha. Needless to say, I was a little embarassed to go back to school the next day. That was about 7 years ago, and my classmates still ask me if I’m seeing white spots!

7. ljw
    ljw April 1, 2009 at 10:48 am | | Reply

^i forgot to mention, the reaction was due to the medications i was taking at the time for diabetes.^

8. Megan
    Megan April 1, 2009 at 12:39 pm | | Reply

At diagnosis, I was 19 and in my sophomore year of college. I had every symptom in the book, including (and most relevant to this story) the drastic weight loss over a very short period of time. I was home for the weekend when my DKA became acute, and I wound up spending 4 days in the hospital to treat it and also to learn how to live with this strange new-to-me disease. While in the hospital, I had so many IVs and so much blood drawn that the veins in my arms grew too bruised to use, and at one point they had to call in the special phlebotimist to insert an IV into my hand.

Upon leaving the hospital, my dad, who is a drug and alcohol recovery counselor, took one look at super-skinny, pale, bags-under-my-eyes, blown-out veins me, shook his head and said, “Oh, no. My junkie daughter.”

The joke about my ‘heroin problem’ lasted for six years, right up until I went on a pump.

9. Gina
    Gina April 1, 2009 at 12:56 pm | | Reply

I just got Haidee’s book today and it is one word: H Y S T E R I C A L anyone with type 1 that has a good sense of humor will love it i swear no jokes there lol.

Gina

10. Doug
    Doug April 1, 2009 at 3:27 pm | | Reply

“Mosquitoes love you …” always thought that there was a reason that I got more bites than my friends, and even made a joke about them tapping me like a maple tree for sap.

“Your pharmacy is like an extended family ….” pathetically, yes.

I think that I am going to have to get this, for those days when all that goes into Type 1 care gets to you.

Thanks.

11. kdroberts
    kdroberts April 1, 2009 at 3:48 pm | | Reply

I like a good joke and since it’s April fools day I figured I’d think up something to post on a message board. I was thinking at work and got a little side tracked so it was lunch time by the time I had it figured out. I thought it was great. I posted on a diabetes board that I had bee reading some website about drug trials and early research and had come across a company that was researching a new diabetes treatment that was made from an enzyme they found in sugar cane root that would make cells more sensitive to insulin. I thought it was great, just enough vague science to seem plausible and quirky enough that it might just be true – a treatment for diabetes made from the very thing that we have problems with. Unfortunately the first reply stopped my sniggering. It was a post referencing an article about different sugars and how some had the potential to inhibit an enzyme related to type 2 diabetes!

“Depending on their origin and grade of refining, many sweeteners contained significant amounts of antioxidants, which have the potential to control diabetes-linked high blood pressure and heart disease,” says Shetty, who adds that these were in vitro laboratory studies performed outside of living organisms. “Several types of sweeteners also showed an interesting potential to inhibit the action of a key enzyme related to Type 2 diabetes, which is also the target of drugs used to treat this condition.”

12. Lauren
    Lauren April 1, 2009 at 4:31 pm | | Reply

Wow. I would be FURIOUS if anyone referred to me as a junkie or mistook me for one. If a family member said something like that to me, it’s be the last conversation we had for a long time.

I love Haidee’s comics though.

13. pamela
    pamela April 1, 2009 at 7:52 pm | | Reply

I go with the white spots. Thanks for all the laughs!

14. pamela
    pamela April 1, 2009 at 10:30 pm | | Reply

OK, I thought of one: back when I first got my pump (1997), I was also taking bellydancing lessons (that’s right: bellydancing!). I had been having upper body problems (weakened arms, repetitive strain), and thought bellydancing would help me strengthen my lower body (plus I live in a city where it’s an accepted form of dance/exercise).

Anway, there was a woman staring at me in class one time. And she kept smiling and smiling, too. I was thinking, maybe she knows someone with a pump… maybe she has Type 1… maybe she sympathizes with my illness and how weird it is to have my tummy exposed with my infusion site showing…. Finally she comes up to me after class and says, “I just wanted to say how cool you look, bellydancing with your pager on your hip!” — she didn’t even SEE the tubing or the white ovular patch of my infusion site – (I just smiled and didn’t say a word!) Ha! Take that, diabetes! :)

15. Victor Shudin
    Victor Shudin April 4, 2009 at 2:54 am | | Reply

You find a cause of your diabetes in this site.
    Best wishes!
    Victor

16. Suzy Smith
    Suzy Smith April 11, 2009 at 7:46 pm | | Reply

“We don?t have the freedom to think that this disease is nothing more than an appendage, just something acquired through years of bad diet and unhealthy living; a punishment like the Scarlet Letter that you can sew onto the outside of your clothes.”

“We are not, you see, as easily manipulate as the Type 2s, who are generally willing to accept any flim-flam spewing from an Educator?s mouth.”

Direct quotes from the blog of Haidee Merritt http://blog.haideemerritt.com/?p=80

Somehow I don’t see me buying a book that insults type 2 diabetics. That’s a damn shame that she sees those of us with type 2 as easily manipulated, or as the cause for our diabetes.

17. Forum Filter: Living with Diabetes « Medliorate

[...] Diabetes April Fool’s: Send Us Your Funnies and Win! [Diabetes Mine] [...]

18. Artwork That Resonates | Scott's Diabetes