1. linkfeedr » Blog Archive » Cellphone-Based Diabetes Tech: Get Ready for a Lot of This - RSS Indexer (beta)

[...] 0.0/5 (0 votes cast) This article was found on DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog. Click here to visit the full article on the original website.A few days ago I got an email alert from a company called MedApps that claims it’s unveiling the [...]

2. Brad Solly
    Brad Solly April 14, 2009 at 8:28 am | | Reply

My son loves the fact that his glucose monitor beeper is broken. The first thing he would do with this MedApp device is disable the voice announcement of his reading. If you are blind it is a nice feature but I can just see my son turning pure red when that little box announces during a quite time in school.

The people/engineers that design these devices need to talk to real people that use this stuff. I think it is called market research ;)

3. Sara My
    Sara My April 14, 2009 at 8:31 am | | Reply

What I also wonder about with this ability to upload all this information so doctor’s can access it is WHY? Seriously, no doctor has ever looked at my blood sugars and then helped me figure out what to do to make them steadier. More the norm has been to be judged & blamed for consistently high morning blood sugars, which I battled with no matter what adjustments I made to my insulin and eating routines (problem solved when I finally got on the pump o- a tool I had to fight for). What actually will a doctor do with these numbers if they aren’t supported by other documentation such as what was eaten and when, exercise, stress, illness – all the variables. Blood Sugar is affected by everything, so unless we’re also giving doctor the whole picture and all the variables along with the bs numbers, how can they use the information? I know the uploaded information gives trends and that might be helpful for a new diabetic – but over the last decade I haven’t given my numbers for review because it’s pointless for anyone but me. Oh yeah, my AIC is in the low 5′s and my doctor is a TI diabetic himself so we have a very nice understanding. I think all this capturing of information and giving it to the docs is just an illusion. If you don’t have the education to respond to the here and now (something I had to learn completely on my own), you’re headed for big trouble – but hey, these companies are looking to make money anyway they can. Or maybe it’s just for the newbies (and there is a steep learning curve there), but I think we need clarity about why we’re tracking all this information before we spend doctor’s valuable time reviewing it and valuable dollars to use the technology.

4. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson April 14, 2009 at 8:43 am | | Reply

I agree that there are challenges in uploading all this stuff to doctors. I would love to see something that uploads everything from anywhere to my own private data management system. Something for ME rather than the docs.

5. Bennet
    Bennet April 14, 2009 at 9:21 am | | Reply

Right on Scott.

‘My wife and I are our daughter’s primary care team.” – Mark, T1 dad

Smartest thing I ever heard about T1 parenting and it was in the context of a machine that sent BG numbers to a doctor.

So all you manufacturers out there, make tools that support independence. Tying us tighter to a doctor electronically isn’t the goal. It is the opposite of the goal.

Independence is the goal.

6. Jacey
    Jacey April 14, 2009 at 10:17 am | | Reply

Since Newt is involved I don’t put any credence in it. I will only follow what Obama says about Diabetes and treatment. I hope he can take over all of the treatment for diabetes and make it free for all diabetics. This is why I voted for him…I have hope for change. YES WE CAN!

7. dicus
    dicus April 14, 2009 at 11:23 am | | Reply

What ticks me off is that all the technology already exists and yet companies want you buy a new devise to carry around. Everyone with an iPhone or comparable smartphone has all the computing power and connectivity required to properly track and manage information. However, because everything is locked in proprietary protocols, nothing will communicate with anything else.

A Bluetooth module on a glucose meter could wirelessly upload result to a phone, which in turn could store that data or upload it to a central database viewable by anyone the person chooses. All of this technology exists and is being used in other applications, but no company has stepped forward to implement a complete system, or open up their devices to allow such access.

8. SteveS
    SteveS April 14, 2009 at 2:13 pm | | Reply

I can’t find any sign that the Entra Health meter is actually available for sale. Also, they make no mention of iPhone compatibility, something it would be unwise to ignore. I expect that J&J/Lifescan’s upcoming iPhone-compatible meter will grab a big part of the market from these newer companies.

9. Reed
    Reed April 14, 2009 at 2:52 pm | | Reply

There’s too many gadgets being proposed these days. I don’t know about everybody else, but I need another device and another information portal like I need another infusion set in my stomach.

I’d like one device (yep phone, bg meter or cgm, pump controller) that would summarize the data and provide recommendations. This would help those of us that want to be independent and also the med pros that have less and less time with us.

10. DB
    DB April 15, 2009 at 5:53 am | | Reply

Jacey

Assuming Obama took “over all of the treatment for diabetes and make it free for all diabetics. ”
    You should expect extreme rationing. Limits on test strips, both brand and quantity, limits on pumps, limits on Insulin both brand and quantity. Limits on access to specialists, delays to see those same Drs. And finally if its possible MORE taxes and more debt to pay for the lower levels of care.

Thats what socialized medicine will bring.

11. Jacey
    Jacey April 15, 2009 at 12:20 pm | | Reply

DB: maybe you are right…but a friend of mine works for Obama and she said that he will help cure diabetes. He knows all about diabetes and wants to cure it and I believe he was elected to do so.

12. xim1970
    xim1970 April 19, 2009 at 2:54 pm | | Reply

I’ve been told by my doctor that he will not view my BG results uploaded from my meter because it might “violate patient confidentiality law”. I’m uploading it, I’ve given my permission to view it, what’s the prob?

13. Dawn
    Dawn May 20, 2009 at 10:08 pm | | Reply

Jacey, research Canada’s socialized medicine, it is horrible. People are coming to Oklahoma from Canada to recieve medical treatment because they either can not get treatment or they will die before they will get a chance to get proper treatment. This guy that came here for treatment from Canada was told in Canada he would have to take medicine and maybe in 2 1/2 years he could get surgery for his medical problem. He came here and the doctors saw that his condition was life threatening and he would not be able to survive to wait for 2 1/2 years for medical assistance. He was seen imediately here, had surgery and was out after a couple days stay in the hospital. His problem was heart related.