1. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson April 30, 2009 at 6:09 am | | Reply

Great interview. Thanks Amy, and thank you Dr. Faustman!

2. CALpumper
    CALpumper April 30, 2009 at 6:32 am | | Reply

Amen, amen, amen.

Thanks for sharing this Amy. Glad and jealous you got to meet her.
    She is doing such great work.

Thanks Dr. Faustman, keep up the research!

3. Scott
    Scott April 30, 2009 at 6:57 am | | Reply

I spoke with Denise Faustman about 7 years ago, and found your description of her personality right on! But I think its worth adding that she is first and foremost a researcher, and she believes in her approach, but wants the science to prove itself. But she’s also a bit overwhelmed by the fact that she’s become something of a hero without even trying. She told me she’d like a PR department, as well as a fundraising team, but she’s not the one to do either … she’s a researcher!

4. Sandra
    Sandra April 30, 2009 at 7:06 am | | Reply

“This is a cheap, generic drug that has been on the market for 10 years already”

Is this a typo?

5. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell April 30, 2009 at 7:07 am | | Reply

Amy, thanks for a GREAT interview.

Isn’t she the best? I’ve been there several times to give blood ‘samples’, actually about 4 vials each time.

I’ve told her that I suspect this is the only time that major research has been funded by bake sales, bike rides, and other grassroots means. (I plan to do one of these later in the year.)

6. Don
    Don April 30, 2009 at 7:31 am | | Reply

I greatly admire Dr. Faustman for pursuing her convictions. She actually is a hero as the vast majority of us are more concerned with preserving our survival and gaining the approval of society (which is understandable). She’s strong enough to pursue her ideas despite naysayers. That’s true grit and a wonderful example of American spirit. She’s realistic and enthusiastic and I like to think she is having fun!

This potential cure elegantly mirrors the simplicity of T1′ s cause–it boils down to rogue T-cells. The irony is rich that there’s not enough potential profit for big pharma. The methods the teams are developing to reliably measure Tcells may well benefit medical science and provide insights and applications beyond just T1 (and with appropriate patents, return some profit as well).

7. Brent
    Brent April 30, 2009 at 10:14 am | | Reply

Actually Sandra, BCG has been around since 1908!

8. Lorraine
    Lorraine April 30, 2009 at 11:10 am | | Reply

Thanks so much for sharing the interview Amy. I find Dr. Faustman’s work very exciting!

9. Deanne
    Deanne April 30, 2009 at 11:19 am | | Reply

So let’s start a fundraising team ! I do small fundraisers, but I want to do something BIG !

Thanks for posting the interview…..I hope I get to meet her someday too !

10. T1 in Boston
    T1 in Boston April 30, 2009 at 10:16 pm | | Reply

wait – you were in Boston and you didn’t email me? I would have given you an interview! (lol)

Perhaps I should head over to Dr. F’s lab and give some blood. I remember all the articles about her work in the magazines. Sigh – wouldn’t it be great if she could cut through the profit motive and reverse T1?! (I know, but a girl can dream can’t she?)

11. Penny
    Penny May 1, 2009 at 5:16 am | | Reply

Amy,

After Riley’s diagnosis I began scouring the internet for any information I could find. A few days after he came home from the hospital I found out about Dr. Faustman’s research. Somehow, it just made sense to me, unlike any other research I had read about. It seemed that research wasn’t really working and she was on to a new way of doing things.

I have held three walks since Riley’s diagnosis in October of 2005 and every single penny has gone to Dr. Faustman. And, every penny I raise will continue to go to her work. I know it may not pan out, but that’s the same with any research.

As a mother I try not to get my hopes up too much. But, by the same token, I have to have some hope in order to get through the day. I don’t think about a cure very often because the thought of there never being one is painful. But, when I do think of a cure I think of Dr. Faustman.

12. Cathy
    Cathy May 1, 2009 at 5:00 pm | | Reply

I’m a big supporter of Dr. Faustman….. I get so upset that JDRF and the ADA won’t support her research but will support a non-cure like an artificial pancreas. Of course the drug companies want to make their money and there is no money for them to make here.

May God Bless Dr. Faustman and all of her researchers in obtaining a CURE!!

13. Bridget
    Bridget August 14, 2009 at 2:09 pm | | Reply

Dr. Faustman has stated that BCG has been applied to combat tuberculosis for quite a while. It is also useful in destroying defective T-cells prevalent in other auto-immune disorders.
    In Europe, the vaccine is mandatory, although I don’t think I would want it carried to that extreme. But we are so thankful for Dr. Faustman’s work here in the US–especially with such daunting adversaries.

14. Dan
    Dan September 2, 2009 at 1:14 pm | | Reply

I have gone to http://www.cnn.com/feedback/ and requested Cnn to do an interview with Dr. Faustman on Larry King Live. She needs 25 Million to move to phase II. In my opinion she will not be able to get there without the national media, I may be wrong but I doubt it.

Her story will fit in perfectly with the health care reform of taking on the big pharma’s. please join me in requesting the national media to cover her story.

15. jimmy
    jimmy November 21, 2010 at 2:16 pm | | Reply

You know how much money is in the diabetic treatment market? Blood sugar testing, strips, syringes, pumps, doctors, nurses, patented drugs, insulin, test kits, blood work. This is easily a multi-billion dollar plus market. You know who supports JDRF? If you’ve ever been to a JDRF event, you are virtually deluged with advertisements from the companies trying to MAKE money from your diabetes. These people do not have any interest in an actual cure. In fact, it would be a disaster for the economy that these people live on. And by extension, JDRF also would be hurt by it. In fact they would be destroyed by it and they know it. Can you imagine if Dr Faustman’s work is never fully realized because of lack of funding? That’s where we’re headed unless all of us get the word out and keep the private donor funding going.

16. Hdiabetes
    Hdiabetes December 17, 2010 at 4:59 pm | | Reply

To all Dr faustman supporters , you could help speed up the funding of Dr. Faustman’s most promising research:

A) to reverse type 1 diabetes
    B) at cheap price (generic BCG)
    c) with the safest approach (long history of safety use)

How: You can join the lobby group newsletter totally free at http://www.hdiabetes.com
    It’s free to join. We will be stronger in group.

Spread the word about the lobby group.. We will be fund the research really with power of group. Thank you

17. saad almasoudi