1. Elizabeth Joy
    Elizabeth Joy March 16, 2009 at 9:27 am | | Reply

Hmmm…The pen in the video (within the survey) actually looks much harder than a typical glucagon kit. I like the thought that they’re trying to make things better but…I dunno. I don’t think this is the solution.

2. tmana
    tmana March 16, 2009 at 10:19 am | | Reply

Glucagon and severe low emergencies are one of my “hot buttons” concerning first-response services. Between the time it takes the local rescue squad to arrive on scene, figure out one is having a severe low (and the patient is not responsive enough to administer glucose tablets/gel/liquid), call for the paramedic (basic EMTs are not licensed to use the patient’s glucometer to check blood glucose levels, nor to administer glucagon), wait for the paramedic to get there and assess the situation…

Shortly after DiabeticConnect went live, one of the active members posted about a situation in which a neighbor of his died due to these delays.

Anything that will allow an EMT-A to revive an unresponsive diabetic quickly, without having to call for the next-level responder… is a Very Important Development in my book.

3. im1dc
    im1dc March 16, 2009 at 11:31 am | | Reply

This was unexpected and may apply equally to diabetics though it was regarding epinephrine kits, i.e., beware and be aware.

AAAAI: Most Physicians Fail EpiPen Test
    2 hours ago

WASHINGTON — Among physicians who had prescribed epinephrine injectors, most had not told their patients how to use them, and nearly all were unable to operate one successfully, a small survey showed.

4. Lauren
    Lauren March 16, 2009 at 8:53 pm | | Reply

I’ll take the humungous needle without complaint if it saves my life — I think this injection has to be IM rather than subcutaneous (insulin is subQ).

The absolute last thing I want is for my glucagon kit to look like anything other than a serious medical device. I don’t want a pink Hello Kitty carrying case or any other design changes.

I have had to use the emergency kit twice. I was completely terrified both times — I administered the shots myself, in one case when my vision was starting to fade and I didn’t have much time before things went dark. I now keep 2 kits on hand at all times, in my purse or next to my bed.

I want my kit to scream “Use in Emergency.” Most health care providers and house-mates of diabetics know what the current standard bright red-orange kit looks like. I’d hate to waste precious seconds having people hunt for an unfamiliar case.

5. Lee Ann Thill
    Lee Ann Thill March 16, 2009 at 10:15 pm | | Reply

I’m with EJ in that I don’t think the pen looks any simpler than a good old fashioned glucagon kit. Glucagon kits are really straight-forward so any “improvements” probably aren’t going to be anything of significance. I’ve never had to give glucagon to anyone, but I’ve been on the receiving end several times. No one giving it to me complained that it was hard to do. Why fix what ain’t broke?

6. Scott
    Scott March 17, 2009 at 6:31 pm | | Reply

The real issue is that this is one for the caregivers, most of whom are probably very worried about the person, such as parents Frankly, I don’t think many people care about the size of the needle (that’s the same attitude behind Exubera’s abysmal failure in the marketplace), but the difficulty in reconstituting the product. The reconstitution process of the current kits is very difficult, and I’m not sure this product resolves that fundamental issue.

7. Vanessa
    Vanessa March 18, 2009 at 6:48 pm | | Reply

I’m the mom of a child with diabetes, but I also work in the school health office and I really think a better/easier way of a glucagon injection would be fabulous. I am comfortable giving a shot, but I know many of the people at the school are not as comfortable and would greatly welcome something easier (like the epi-pen). Especially because many schools do not have nurses and just have a trained office worker who would be responsible for the injection.