1. Molly
    Molly March 23, 2009 at 6:51 am | | Reply

I have had jury duty twice in the last 10 years. Both times I was assigned to trials that lasted one week. The judge made it clear that food was NOT allowed in the courtroom. I had to privately tell him/her that I have type 1 diabetes and would need to have snacks available. Neither judge was keen on me testing during deliberation. It was stressful and often tricky.
    Good luck. Maybe you won’t be assigned to a trail…

2. Anne
    Anne March 23, 2009 at 7:51 am | | Reply

I have served on jury duty twice and told the judges both times that if I were to serve, I may need to eat at times (if my blood sugar got low) and test my blood sugar during the trial. That was fine with them–I told them during the jury selection process. I figured, if I could work full time, serving on a jury was not that much different given those allowances. Usually there are enough breaks during the trial to get food you need. In San Francisco, you are on your own for finding it, though.

3. AngelaC
    AngelaC March 23, 2009 at 7:53 am | | Reply

I was called for jury duty about 10 or 12 years ago for civil court. The majority of the group spent up to three days being quizzed by the lawyers and then let go once all the cases had a jury. I was one of the “lucky” (??) ones: I was selected to sit on the jury for two different cases and ended up having to be at the courthouse for a week. I had no problems bringing my own food to the court, nor did I have a problem with any other dm related activities that I can recall. The biggest problem I can recall happened on the day the second case was given to us for deliberation. We were handed the case well before lunch time and I had left my lunch bag in the fridge, which was outside of the jury room. Once we had started to deliberate, we were not allowed to leave the room under any circumstances. It still was not a problem for me; I simply explained my situation to the bailiff and he retrieved the bag for me. If I remember right, I was the only one who had a decent lunch that day :-) . Of course, your experience my vary.

I heard about one juror who twittered his decision on the case on which he was serving. I found that to be amazing, since when I served jury duty, we weren’t even allowed to bring pen and paper, never mind electronic devices!

4. Leslie
    Leslie March 23, 2009 at 8:09 am | | Reply

I’m with you on the disability card. I won’t use it either although I’d let them know my needs from the start. I also have an insulin pump. There may come a day when I will have to use the disability card because I have complications from the big D, but until then, I’m stubborn about not using it.

Like you, I also get skittish about events where my meal routine will be interrupted. For a long time I tried to go without a routine but no matter what they try to tell you about insulin pumps allowing you more freedom, um, that’s a bit of a myth, at least I’ve discovered it is for me. I mean, there is more feedom but I do much better regulating and timing my meals and snacks.

I have the opportunity to attend a horsemanship clinic (I’m into horses and own two!) that will require me to be away for about 3 days. I have no idea how the meals will be or what. I would have to plan for the event.The friend I’ll be going with doesn’t have diabetes but she’s understanding and a registered nurse to boot. I haven’t decided if I’m going yet only because I know I’ll have to be extra careful about my snacks because we’ll be in the clinic for 8 hours doing physcial excercises with the horses. Anyway, I understand where you’re coming from with the jury duty concerns. If you get picked, would be interested in how you handled the situation.

5. Khürt Williams
    Khürt Williams March 23, 2009 at 9:15 am | | Reply

In NJ my wife was allowed out of jury duty as she was the primary care taker for my daughter who was 3 at the time. Not sure what I would do if called. I get very anxious when my meal routine is disrupted.

6. Kathy
    Kathy March 23, 2009 at 1:47 pm | | Reply

I was just called to my local county court in Illinois and this was one of my biggest worries. I was fine all morning, but when they called up my pool to be questioned by the lawyers, I was dropping (64 mg/dl) from too much lunchtime insulin. I told the baliff right away that I had t1, and that I HAD to eat something during the questioning. She and the judge were pretty cool about it. I ended up being dismissed early for other reasons, but it was extremely nerve-wracking to think about having to eat and more importantly, test and do my shots under those circumstances. I would almost argue that it would force me to make poorer decisions because I would feel pressured by my body to deal with the D and not the case. But otherwise I don’t mind getting out of work for a week or two :)

7. June S.
    June S. March 23, 2009 at 3:22 pm | | Reply

I spent one day at the court, being called to one case and then another, and being dismissed from each. I was so nervous about the whole thing that when I left the courthouse my BG was over 300. I spoke with my endo. about it, and she wrote up a prescription form stating that I have Type I diabetes and must not serve on a jury.

8. Kathleen Weaver
    Kathleen Weaver March 23, 2009 at 4:21 pm | | Reply

Oh, joy! We get to have jury duty together (different states though).

9. nonegiven
    nonegiven March 23, 2009 at 8:35 pm | | Reply

You just need to call ahead and make clear your needed accomodations and mention them again when you’re being questioned.

10. Journeywoman
    Journeywoman March 24, 2009 at 1:44 pm | | Reply

My husband (the diabetic in our family) served on a jury. It was fine. He was allowed to drink water during the trial. Once he had a low and he wrote out a little note to the bailif and they called a recess.