1. Jules
    Jules March 13, 2009 at 7:47 am | | Reply

You don’t need an I-Phone to use the applications. The I-Pod touch is just like the I-Phone except you don’t use cell phone technology. Instead, you use wifi. The applications that are added daily in the App Store are amazing and there are thousands of medical related apps. The touch can communicate wirelessly with your computer so any kind of data can easily be used in an app. Check out the app store yourself and seach it’s 7000 applications. Many of the apps are free and the others a pretty cheap.

2. Lee Ann Thill
    Lee Ann Thill March 13, 2009 at 12:31 pm | | Reply

I hope that Blackberry-related idea isn’t just for kids. I’m dying for something like EZManager for Blackberry. Once upon a time, I had a Palm, and loved EZManager – I had a few minor complaints, but overall, it worked well and I was happy with it. I’ve got nothing for my Blackberry though. Unless something comes out, I anticipate choosing my next phone based on the availability of a user-friendly D-management app. I’m a creative person, but this is so far from my realm of creativity. I have to rely on others to make this one happen. *hint hint* to computer geeks far and wide…

3. Maryanne McDevitt
    Maryanne McDevitt March 13, 2009 at 4:51 pm | | Reply

Hello there all you diabetics out there. I am a recently diagnosed d.2 65 year old. I considered myself fit and with-it and did not fit any of the criteria of newly diagnosed diabetics except for my age…. those over 60 have a much higher risk of the disease. I was totally freaked out by the idea of taking medication for the rest of my life. I looked into programs focusing on diet. For the past two years I have been able to maintain a great HA1C percentage (between 5.1 and 5.6) with diet and exercise. Why do we not hear more about this way to fight diabetes? Does anyone analyze the labels on most food products? Does anyone care that the food industry is stuffing people with unhealthy corn syrup solids, transfats, and other unhealthy foods for diabetics… in fact they might be creating new diabetics for the pharmaceutical industry…. Why don’t I hear anything about a movement to do what I am doing. Most people think I am crazy for keeping to my diet, but I am healthier than most of my friends who are my age, and I don’t have to pay outrageous medical prescription costs for diabetic medications. Anyone out there>>>>> I’d love to hear from any diabetics (#2 only – I do understand that diaabetes one people have totally different issues, – but those of us who can fight this with will power, diet and exercise….? Why not try? Maryanne Mc Devitt

4. Medicine and Technology
    Medicine and Technology March 13, 2009 at 8:19 pm | | Reply

I get the sense that most of the submissions will include a large technology component to the design of the solution. I’m eager to see what people come up with since advances in technology have dramatically altered the management of diabetes.

5. Sunil
    Sunil March 15, 2009 at 11:41 pm | | Reply

Innovation is truly the need of the hour. One innovative thought is to ‘rename’ diabetes to ‘the diabetes syndrome’. This will create the buzz on all the head-to-toe signs, symptoms, and special susceptibilities of diabetics. You could see more thoughts on this at http://www.pharmaceuticalshealthcare.blogspot.com

6. Khürt Williams
    Khürt Williams March 17, 2009 at 10:58 am | | Reply

Amy,
    Apple and LifeScan just announced some sort of support for diabetes devices and apps that will integrate with the iPhone. What are your thoughts on that?

7. Better Man
    Better Man March 17, 2009 at 11:00 am | | Reply

I’ve taken care of my mother who was diagnosed type 2 approximately 10 years ago.

Although it’s not exactly “news” that we all should be eating & drinking to maintain our body’s pH at around the 7.4pH (slightly alkaline) level, I’ve only recently learned that ordinary tap water and bottled drinking water can actually contribute to a less healthy (acidic) state.

Drinking alkaline ionized water is the easiest way to help balance our body’s pH. It’s also a powerful detoxifier, anti-oxidant & facilitates thirst quenching (down to the cellular level) more efficiently than conventional water.

This video explains this subject quite well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43VT_hYK4yc

There’s a lot of useful information on alkaline water ionizers at this site:

8. KK
    KK March 18, 2009 at 12:29 pm | | Reply

Sometimes we forget about the everyday physical pains of diabetes when we become more technology focused. Injecting yourself daily is not only a hassle but can be very painful. Even worse, many people stop taking their injections or eat less in order to be able to skip an insulin shot. The i-port is a new invention designed to take the shots for you. You adhere it to your body once, and it takes your shots for you without any pain for the next 3 days. Not only that, but it was created by a woman with diabetes as a solution to the daily hassles she was dealing with. I definitely think this product should be mentioned in association with this contest. Check it out if you’re interested: http://www.i-port.com/about.php