1. tmana
    tmana March 19, 2009 at 10:39 am | | Reply

When I was first diagnosed, I got the then-current entry-level Accu-Chek model, the Accu-Chek Active, and registered on the site. There was a lot of information on “tight control”, which seemed to me at least in part a way to encourage the purchase of testing supplies (the description required at least 8 tests per day — more if one exercised, grazed instead of eating normal meals, felt “off”, etc.). (Keep in mind I’m a Type 2, and nobody I knew except my Other Half had ever been told anything about glucometers and blood glucose testing.) On the other hand, the description given suggested that one needed to maintain tight control in order to not almost-immediately end up with life-threatening complications of diabetes.

The description given of “tight control” required testing upon rising, before eating ANYTHING, 2 hours after eating ANYTHING, and before retiring. (If nothing else, strictly following this procedure keeps one from eating anything between meals and postprandial checks.) It also suggested modifying meals and medicine to keep within blood glucose guidelines (I forgot which set of guidelines they used at the time).

This sounds like a new take on “tight control”, with fewer supplies (as in, just about what the insurance companies will pay for), with some provider-side encouragement added in.

2. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson March 19, 2009 at 1:22 pm | | Reply

I really admire Dr. Polonsky and all that he is doing.

3. Rachel
    Rachel March 19, 2009 at 1:31 pm | | Reply

Kudos to Accu-Chek and Dr. Polonsky!!

4. Health Pain
    Health Pain March 19, 2009 at 4:47 pm | | Reply

Must have good food and good health as this can have a better performance and efficiency, this is good information to websites like dietas-efectivas.com where there are different ways to improve your health …

5. whimsy2
    whimsy2 March 20, 2009 at 8:39 am | | Reply

It’s about time!

6. cyncyn
    cyncyn March 20, 2009 at 10:17 am | | Reply

Excellent. I’m a caregiver and I explained the importance of testing before and after to my mother-in-law,not her dr. He says “If I can only get a fasting from you, than so be it.” Because she don’t want to stick herself. She don’t realize the importance of this, and her Dr. does’t explain it to her. Just because you need to.This is sad but true of many Drs.

7. Bijesh
    Bijesh March 22, 2009 at 7:57 am | | Reply

This is similar to what my diabetes educator asked me to do. She also gave me a chart for pair testing.

8. Khürt Williams
    Khürt Williams March 22, 2009 at 2:36 pm | | Reply

Being Type 1 testing, as Amy said, was do or die. I test – before I eat, 2 hours after I eat (3 meals x 2 ) plus before going to bed and before driving. Infrequent testing can be dangerous to me and to others.

9. Testing…Testing… @ My Favourite Number

[...] It wasn’t until this past March, when Amy Tenderich (of DiabetesMine) posted an piece called “Glucose Testing in Pairs,” that I realized I fell into that category of people who “…were never given a good [...]

10. hebo
    hebo January 30, 2011 at 3:09 am | | Reply

I have learned a while back, I can only test 1 time a day because I am a non insulin diabetic and have medicare . So my Doctor say’s to test one morning fasting one day, and test after my second meal, just before my last.