1. tmana
    tmana March 28, 2009 at 12:35 pm | | Reply

I received the same letter, by normal mail. It was dated March 18. Near as I can tell, I believe these strips hit the retail markets about three months ago

At least this was a bit more timely than Lifescan’s recall of One Touch strips — dated mid-September, I got the first letter (for one meter) in November, and the second (for another meter) in January. Lifescan’s response was that we should have been watching their website for press releases surrounding the recall (said press release was apparently dated about 12 days after the letter was written, but well before the letters were mailed).

2. Jim D
    Jim D March 28, 2009 at 1:37 pm | | Reply

Yes, $#@% happens. I too have, over the years, received 2 or 3 of these recall notices (from Lifescan too) and have been lucky enough never to have had the bad batch numbers.

You would think that with the actual cost of these test strips to the manufacturer of about a couple of dollars per hundred, the QC would be a little bit better, but humans are everywhere so it happens.

Now, if you think that the margin for “name-brand” strips is high (I always have a “store-brand” meter around for when my insurance won’t cover enough strips for me to test properly, the strips are at least half the price), ask me about the vials of Lilly insulin (Humalog) I bought in australia for full-price last year (no discount), they were about $23 dollars (US) a bottle compared to the $80 a bottle I pay here for the absolute same thing.
    I guess somebody has yo pay for all the lawyers…..

3. gerd
    gerd April 1, 2009 at 2:39 am | | Reply

this information very important…..thanks, very appreciate

4. jr
    jr April 8, 2009 at 10:02 pm | | Reply

my mom is using freestyle lite test strips. its lot # is 0832716.. but when i used it and my dad’s one touch ultra test strip on my mom, the results were quite different. the freestyle result was 127 and the one touch ultra was 110. now im confused on which gave the more accurate result..

5. Elise
    Elise April 21, 2009 at 5:27 am | | Reply

I received a letter regarding the Freestyle test strips yesterday 4/20/09. I would think pharmacies would have been notified much quicker than the general public and would stop distributing bad batches. Or is it all about the money one is getting? Not willing to loose money due to the error of the pharmaceutical company.

6. April
    April May 20, 2009 at 12:21 pm | | Reply

Jr, according to my Dr. and Pharamcist, you can test your blood sugar in the same exact spot, one right after the other, and get a 20 pt difference. This is because the level of sugar can vary while the blood is pumping. Both results were probably accurate.

7. Brad
    Brad May 22, 2009 at 7:56 pm | | Reply

My wife uses a freestyle flash for past four years never had a problem but now getting a error4 on test strips with code13. lot number 0819034. So they need to extra double check cause theres more recall on more than seven lot numbers.