1. Lauren
    Lauren February 27, 2009 at 1:47 pm | | Reply

I disagree. Pessimism is hoping for the best but planning for the worst. And that is the best strategy for life, the ultimate problem-solving strategy. Optimism was the chief foible of the Bush administration — refusing to confront problems and admit that things wouldn’t go as well as originally conceived, thinking that all the disasters that occurred would magically resolve themselves. Therefore they had no Plan B. What was the famously clueless Reagan if not an optimist?

Pessimists always have a Plan B, Plan C, etc. We’re better prepared and equipped to tackle life’s problems. Also, we don’t tend to sit around and cry about misfortune, or be surprised when terrible things happen. This makes us more resilient and better able to cope with the bad stuff in life. Sometimes there isn’t a silver lining and you just have to ride out the storm — as with type 1 diabetes.

Pessimism is not fatalism. Hope is important, but so is being in touch with reality. I cried tears of joy when Obama was elected on a message of hope. But he is not a cockeyed optimist. Nor should we be.

2. joan
    joan February 27, 2009 at 5:35 pm | | Reply

Lauren, I would label you as a realist, not a pessimist. I think Bill is talking about someone who expects and plans for worst feeling that this always happens to them, life sucks, etc. You sound more like someone who has a plan for whatever happens, positive or negative. Just my opinion.
    joan

3. Deron S.
    Deron S. February 28, 2009 at 2:06 pm | | Reply

I am interested in healthcare reform, and you can’t have a discussion about reform without addressing chronic conditions like diabetes. I’m ashamed to say it’s a condition I know very little about.

Can it be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle, or are some people predisposed to getting it?

4. Sara My
    Sara My March 1, 2009 at 3:44 pm | | Reply

Amy, I’m totally with you. Having lived with the T-1 for 45 years, I’ve have my days of outright pessimism and fear but my friends and family see me as an optimistic human being and I agree. The pessimists in my life think I’m a bit Pollyanna, but really – it boils down to a saying my Mother gave me a long time ago “don’t borrow trouble from the future” which means, deal with today and don’t fret over what might or might not happen tomorrow. How Zen of her. In another valuable lesson, she also once forced me to spit an expensive piece of chocolate into her hand – not because I was being a bad diabetic by eating that candy, but because my face was so dissapointed by getting one I didn’t like. Then she told me to pick another one saying – if you’re going to sin, at least make it worthwhile. Such good wisdom! And that attitude has helped me stay healthy, because I refuse to get stuck on the downers that occassionally present themselves and try to live in the moment with the choice of being happy. Real optimism comes by facing reality, dealing honestly and choosing hope over fear.

5. dan 2
    dan 2 March 1, 2009 at 9:00 pm | | Reply

Amy. Here is a plug to stay the course. All new news is old news happening to people that did not read history. It is always the darkest before dawn. Do you remember the glow of a full Moon, a starry night, a rainbow after a storm, and an aurora borealis display. They are all still there even during a dark and stormy night. It is easier to curse the darkness than light a candle. You have brought light to a dark scene. The light you shine bring facts and knowledge in place of ignorance. Living live is a 24/7, day-to-day and minute by minute. Over the years, 42 as a type 1 diabetic, it has been very difficult to shine a light and knowledge to people that do not care, fearful, scared, angry, in denial, depressed and or do not want to care. Your website is a direct reference point that I can share with diagnosed diabetics, staff, nurses, etc., with a message that there is HOPE and they are not alone.

Keep up the great work and thanks for being there!

D2

6. Patty
    Patty March 3, 2009 at 9:30 pm | | Reply

You can have all the hope in the world but if you don’t have access to or can afford quality health care, you’re screwed.