1. Sara My
    Sara My February 23, 2009 at 8:46 am | | Reply

This is exactly the kind of business we should be pumping (pun intended) money into instead of bailing out the proven looser big car companies and zombie banks. Health care that has potential to change lives AND new business – how radical would that be to support two good and virtuous things!!!!

Amy – thanks for bringing this really interesting story out to the masses.

2. Don
    Don February 23, 2009 at 10:25 am | | Reply

maybe someday such a protective biopolymer could also be used to protect a person’s native beta cells if T1 attack has begun but not yet destroyed all beta cells. personally I’d prefer a cure that turned off the offending T cells themselves but hey whatever works, I’ll get in line for it!

3. Lauren
    Lauren February 23, 2009 at 10:39 am | | Reply

Aside from the fact that I’m quite skeptical of this, I wouldn’t get in line with a “cure” that is cruel to animals. If it involves cruelty, I’ll keep my type 1, and my conscience, intact.

4. Dawn
    Dawn February 23, 2009 at 11:52 am | | Reply

I guess I’m godless. What is eating pork if not cruel. But I think I could live with my concious, regardless, if this treatment became a reality. Oh–to go walking for hours on end and never have to test, not to have to wake up in the middle of the night, not to worry about the horrible complications.

5. Lauren
    Lauren February 23, 2009 at 1:44 pm | | Reply

Yes, this avenue of therapy would be a bit hypocritical of me to pursue, being that I am a vegetarian Buddhist. Other than that, though, I am also godless.

6. MoHo
    MoHo February 23, 2009 at 3:47 pm | | Reply

These guys are doing it, too!

7. mcityrk
    mcityrk February 23, 2009 at 6:59 pm | | Reply

You always hope for the best, but a quick perusal of yahoo.finance shows this company to be incredibly undercapitalized. With a market cap of less than 2 million and recent cash infusions of less than 1.5 million you wonder just what type of Phase III clinical trial can possibly be run that could pass muster. This type of cash would have a hard time funding even a Phase I feasibility study let alone large scale clinical trials.

8. steve
    steve February 24, 2009 at 3:50 pm | | Reply

Responding to a blog las week I accidently posted the wrong address to Dr. Faustman. If your looking for a cure for type 1 diabetes then read about the research Dr. Faustman is conducting, and why islet cell trnsplant is probably doomed to fail. I was almost a candidate for an islet cell transplant, and oupted out. I work in health care and have been able to ask a lot of questions regarding the pros and cons of an islet cell transplant. I believe the cons out weigh the pros. Check the research that is being conducted by Dr. Faustman. Steve http://www.faustmanlab.org/support/support.html -

9. Lauren
    Lauren February 24, 2009 at 4:48 pm | | Reply

Right now the cons far outweigh the pros of islet transplantation, absolutely. Serious immunosuppression is far more lethal than type 1, in my opinion at least.

10. Troy
    Troy February 27, 2009 at 10:03 am | | Reply

can I give some of my islet cells to my daughter to cure her type 1?

11. Gary
    Gary September 12, 2009 at 6:36 am | | Reply

Ummm… Where did you read this news? If I am not mistaken these guys are done. Their website has not been updated since late of 2008 and I can’t find any updated news on them since the bankrupcy. Other then the fact that I have diabetes was a shareholder and lost my total investment I could care less at this point. Living cell technologies will be the company if any that will bring this therapy to fruition.

12. islet cell transplant
    islet cell transplant March 4, 2010 at 10:43 am |

[...] longer needed insulin injections, and an additional 28 percent had partial islet function, which … MicroIslet: This Little Piggy's Cells Might Cure Diabetes …Those who have received an organ transplant or an islet cell transplant are required to stay on a [...]