1. Inspired by Diabetes: Quarterback Jay Cutler Gives as Good as He Gets | Pro Health News

[...] the rest here: Inspired by Diabetes: Quarterback Jay Cutler Gives as Good as He Gets  Mail this post Tagged as: Cancer, cell, Diabetes, diabetes contest, diabetes-mentor, [...]

2. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson February 25, 2009 at 9:07 am | | Reply

Great interview Jay – thanks for bringing it to us Amy!

3. Bruce
    Bruce February 25, 2009 at 10:17 am | | Reply

I only have one question…Is Illy Lilly paying him for his time? I know it sounds awful, but I’m tired of how horribly expensive buying insulin is, I’m tired of everyone putting their hand in my pocket and pulling out mounds of cash, I’m tired of big companies and foundations going “We’re gonna change the world” and then sit there and do nothing but put try to put their hand in my pocket. I’m not on the forefront of this disease, I’m in the trenches dealing with rising medical costs, inaccsible health insurance plans and insurance companies that say my insulin is like a 30 day pill supply (hmmm do they know that somedays I have to give more for the same amount and other days I might eat something out of the oridnary, but when asked to get my insulin 2 days early I’m denied.).

I’m tired of all of this, the constant stress the constant price. I see people with “star” power getting involved and I want to know…did their involvment get them money?

4. xim1970
    xim1970 February 25, 2009 at 6:38 pm | | Reply

I agree with Bruce. It’s nice to give us something to hope for, but frankly, I would like to see the costs come down on some of the stuff; for me, it would be test strips, as I am on public assistance for healthcare (and yes, I work…about 55-60 hours per week and still qualify!) They (I will not name the company) provide me with 270 strips for 90 days. I’m grateful for that, but would it kill them to give me another 50 strips for those times that my sugars are a bit odd (cold, stress, just feeling off)? I mean, 250 strips is testing 3 times per day…I can usually make it through a day on 4…not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth. Whatever happened to “preventive care”? Did it really cost that much over that $10,000 hospital bill, that could have been prevented by better, closely watched care? Just asking…

5. CALpumper
    CALpumper February 25, 2009 at 7:29 pm | | Reply

I think what Jay Cutler is doing is great.

But I Agree with Every fiber of my being with Bruce and xim1970.

Test strips, insulin and infusion sets (needles, pens etc) are NOT PILLS!
    There is a “set standard” in which T1s follow BUT LIFE HAPPENS.
    Some days we do More blood tests, Need more insulin, a site “mucks up” and we have to change it before 3 days…..

With the above tools T1s CAN manage their disease very well, IF we don’t have to worry so constantly about where the next vial of strips is coming from, how much it will cost, same for the sickeningly expensive insulin (of which T1s NEED to sustain life, we did nothing to get this auto-immune disease, nothing)….

Holy venting!
    Either way and again, Kudos to Jay Cutler.
    But a BIG Reminder to Everyone out there…..kids diagnosed with T1 GROW UP!!! And it doesn’t get any easier!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Lauren
    Lauren February 25, 2009 at 10:01 pm | | Reply

I couldn’t agree more with the above comments — yes, type 1s come in all ages, so anything that highlights the difference between types 1 and 2 is important for all of us. I am sick to death of being “blamed” for my disease and feeling on the defensive. I appreciate athletes coming out with their type 1, because it shows that even the fittest among us require insulin — INSULIN IS NOT OPTIONAL (as many, many, many people believe).

Again I have to say the insurance companies are largely to blame for the horrendous state of diabetes management in this country. I pay for my strips, insulin, and most supplies out of pocket (although I have TWO insurances; Blue Cross of CA and my school’s insurance plan). Why? Because my Blue Cross plan claims that insulins are not “generic” and therefore not a part of my pharmacy benefit. I tried to explain the necessity of insulin to one of the reps there, shortly after my dx. And I was told, “if you are sick enough to need injections, you can get them administered in your doctor’s office, they will be covered as part of the global office visit service.” HELLO!!!!! They don’t get it. I get about 15 mailers a month from BC about “taking care of your diabetes” but they won’t cover the most basic, essential supplies. This is disgusting. I truly wish that more celebrities and high-profile people with diabetes would highlight these issues.

7. Diabetes Info
    Diabetes Info March 11, 2009 at 8:54 pm | | Reply

Jay Cutler as a spokesman for diabetes is great. I am glad that there are athletes and stars such as him that people that have diabetes can relate to and see that they have the same problems and diseases as we do.

8. JESSICA PIGG
    JESSICA PIGG September 24, 2009 at 12:53 am | | Reply

My son is the biggest Jay Cutler fan probably in the world! The light in his face when he could finally relate to someone who in his eyes was, “just like him” was such a gift! Jay is truly a blessing. I agree with the earlier posts that the prescriptions are ridiculously overpriced and insurance companies really do not get it! When my son’s father started a new job and we were without benefits, the insurance company actually told me to take him to the E.R. for shots. 4 x a day with no insurance? Seriously? It is really aggrivating that there are so many people who think type 1 is due to diet and not being active enough. Hopefully, Jay and others can shed some light on this disease and put the misconceptions to rest! I commend him for his efforts. I am sure his schedule is very busy, and the fact that his heart is big enough to care shows his character.