Handiest Little Handbook Ever for the “Born Again Diabetic”

Whether you’re a Type 1 or a Type 2, whether you’ve had diabetes for two years or 20, if you’re someone who’s had that “aha” moment where you realize you’ve been “slipping” and it’s time to get back on track with your diabetes, this is the little book for you!

The Born Again Diabetic” is just off the presses from our long-time D-blogging buddy Wil Dubois, author of Life After Dx. Wil is also something of a local hero as far as I’m concerned, as he is a hard-working Diabetes Coordinator at a nonprofit medical center in New Mexico, where he “pours his heart and soul and brain into improving diabetes care for over 400 people with diabetes in his community.” But even that wasn’t enough for him.  He is passionate about the lack of support for so many patients on the day-to-day realities of this disease. Amen! So he poured his heart and soul and brain into this little volume.

Among the many diabetes titles out there, two things stand out about this book:

1) It’s the only book I know of aimed at this particular audience — not the newly diagnosed, but those of us who’ve been floating around with this disease for a while, and need a kick in the pants, and/or that extra plain-spoken bit of education that will open our eyes to “doing diabetes better,” as it were.

2) The no-holds-barred style. Reading this book is like having a heart-to-heart talk with a fellow patient who has definitely been there and done that. Expect the cold, hard truth, and even a little profanity here and there, in a good way. You will never doubt that Wil is laying it all on the line.

For example:

On glucose meters, Wil says: “The meters sport a dazzling array of features that you’ll never use. What is the very best meter on the market? The one you can get strips for.

On neuropathy, he muses bitterly: “Right. That whole you can-lose-feeling-in-your-feet-step-on-a-nail-not-know-it-develop-an-infection-then-an-abcess-then-gangrene-then-we-cut-your-foot-off thing. Basic rule for D-folks that we all ignore: never go barefoot. My real life solution? Just check your damn feet every night.

On testing, he presents The Ten Commandments of Glucose Meters:

1) Thou shalt set the time and date of thy meter to the time zone and era in which thou livest.

2) Thou shalt calibrate thy meter.

3) Thou shalt test often.

4) Thou shalt test at various times of the day and night.

5) Thou shalt not be a wimp and thou shalt test on thy fingertips at all times.

6) Thou shalt think about thy numbers.

7) Thou shalt not take any number personally.

8 ) Thou shalt not allow thyself to go too high or too low.

9) Thou shalt replace thy meter every three years.

10) Thou shalt carry thy meter with thee always.

If I haven’t illustrated it clearly enough yet, my take is that this book is as entertaining as it is extremely useful.  Unlike other D-titles, it’s not something to share with your friends and loved ones. It is for YOU, the person with diabetes, to have a helpful and helluvan honest D-Friend in your pocket when you need one.  What more could you ask for?

[Red Blood Cells Books, Feb. 2009, $19.95 on Amazon;
Editor's Note: See also, Scott J's review of the book. Not surprisingly, he loves Wil, too!]

1. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson February 16, 2009 at 7:14 am | | Reply

Absolutey! It is such an awesome book.

2. George
    George February 16, 2009 at 12:24 pm | | Reply

I can’t wait for my copy to arrive!

3. leigh1
    leigh1 February 16, 2009 at 12:28 pm | | Reply

Hi Amy,
    Sounded so intriguing that I went to Amazon and Barnes and Nobel to look for it! The book is not available at Amazon, and Barnes drew a ? I’m so disappointed!

4. Chad
    Chad February 16, 2009 at 12:48 pm | | Reply

Great Info It was very helpful to me The Ten Commandments of Glucose Meters was pretty cool.

5. Stuart Schaffert
    Stuart Schaffert February 16, 2009 at 1:32 pm | | Reply

I just finished reading my copy over the valentines day weekend. It is one of the best diabetes books I’ve ever laid my hands on. This book should be in every diabetes patient’s and diabetes health professional’s library.

Stuart

6. Wil
    Wil February 16, 2009 at 7:13 pm | | Reply

Amy–Was sorry to hear that Leigh had trouble getting a copy. Amazon’s inventory is temp. out, but more books on the way to them. She should be able to order and they’ll ship to her when they arrive. Barns and Nobel aren’t carrying at this point. She can also order at the publisher’s web site at http://www.redbloodcellbooks.com

W

7. Lauren
    Lauren February 16, 2009 at 10:52 pm | | Reply

Is Wil diabetic himself?

8. AmyT
    AmyT February 17, 2009 at 9:23 am | | Reply

Lauren – oh yes! As noted, Wil blogs about his diabetes at Life After Dx.

9. M
    M February 17, 2009 at 9:43 am | | Reply

(1) As a non-diabetic, I’m not quite clear on what Wil means when he says “What is the very best meter on the market? The one you can get strips for.” Does “get strips for” mean (A) “strips that your health insurance will pay for”, or (B) “strips that are easy to find in drugstores, supermarkets, etc. so that you don’t run out of strips and so you test when you’re supposed to”?

(2) Also, can you explain “Thou shalt think about thy numbers.” Does that mean “just don’t test for the sake of testing, but instead actually react to the numbers by changing your short- and long-term behaviors”?

10. leigh1
    leigh1 February 17, 2009 at 6:29 pm | | Reply

Thank you so much, Wil, for your reply. I went back to Amazon and pre-ordered the book there (darn it!), otherwise I would order from the web site that you wrote about. I’m SO looking forward to reading your book! Best regards,

11. Lauren
    Lauren February 17, 2009 at 8:25 pm | | Reply

The very best meter on the market is the one that uses the smallest blood sample and does the least damage to your precious hands. I need functioning fingers in 10, 20, 60 years. Does my Anthem Blue Cross cover Freestyle? Hell no. But you can’t put a price on retaining fingertip sensitivity. I test 15-20x a day these days.