1. Leslie
    Leslie January 10, 2009 at 9:22 am | | Reply

Great news! The Joslin folks are on my list of approval for working toward a cure for Type 1, not just talking about it! Thanks for sharing the info!

2. Joslin Receives $1 Million Grant for Type 1 Diabetes Research | Pro Health News

[...] original here: Joslin Receives $1 Million Grant for Type 1 Diabetes Research  Mail this post Tagged as: Cancer, cgm, diabetes cure, Exercise, Health, insulin pumps, [...]

3. AngelaC
    AngelaC January 10, 2009 at 2:15 pm | | Reply

I’m not sure if I saw it here in your weekly nuggets or if I saw it somewhere else, but Richard Schulze, founder of Best Buy, gave the University of Minnesota a whopping $40 million ($8 million/year for the next 5 years) strictly for type 1 **CURE** research. It’s the largest gift from an individual or family foundation the University has received and the second largest gift ever (the school received $65 million for cancer research). Reportedly, Schulze’s daughter has type 1, which is part of his reason for giving the money. Let’s all hope that between this grant and the Joslin Center’s recent grant, a cure will come sooner rather than later.

Link to UM’s announcement:

Link to article in the St. Paul Business Journal:

4. xim1970
    xim1970 January 10, 2009 at 3:49 pm | | Reply

Wow! This is all awesome news…and on my 39th birthday! In two weeks I’ll have had Type I for 28 years, and still going strong. Thanks for all the good news today folks!

5. pamela
    pamela January 11, 2009 at 12:43 am | | Reply

happy birthday, xim! (i’ll hit 28 years this coming July and I’m 43 – greetings to my former urine-testers!)

PS here’s a link to the Jan. 7th broadcast of Nat’l Public Media’s “the Story” abt the parents (doctor & engineer) of a type 1 child diagnosed at infancy. It’s a good story & the silver lining is that the engineer parent is working hard to perfect the so-called artificial pancreas (the CGM/pump closed loop), and sees great progress in his work!

enjoy.

6. Mitch
    Mitch January 11, 2009 at 3:37 pm | | Reply

Since this is my clinic, only here in the Syracuse area, I’m happy to read this. I think my doctor is right on top of all the latest information, and we often have conversations about things because I’m usually keeping up with all of it also. Great news indeed.

7. Cary
    Cary January 11, 2009 at 8:01 pm | | Reply

Dr. Wolpert was my doctor when I went to school in Boston — he literally wrote the book on pumping (which I still have). Although I’m not a fan of the current CGMs, the data we collected from a 4 day trial was incredibly useful.

I’m really glad this individual donor really took the time to assess what type of research these funds would be going towards — all of them worthy and have the right people working on them to make real, incremental progress.

8. Govindan
    Govindan January 12, 2009 at 6:21 am | | Reply

Wow!!! That really cool. Research always is in need of such grants.