1. Dave
    Dave January 6, 2009 at 7:17 am | | Reply

It will be nice to try both Coke and Pepsi’s version/use of Stevia. I have tried Stevia before and have not been impressed because of the overall taste, but since the big boys are starting to play the game I imagine that they are taking Stevia to a whole new level.

Dave

2. Paul
    Paul January 6, 2009 at 8:32 am | | Reply

I noticed that both truvia and PureVia enhance the stevia with sugar alcohols; therefore, they are not carbohydrate free nor without the possibility of digestive side effects. For 2 grams of sugar alcohol carbohydrate it will require insulin to cover at least one gram of carbohydrate. One will still need to limit the amount of this sweetener.

3. Suzanne
    Suzanne January 6, 2009 at 11:21 am | | Reply

This is what bugs me, too… Truvia is not natural… they’ve added sugar alcohols and “natural flavors” whatever that means. They claim the sugar alcohol is “natural”, but so’s high fructose corn syrup! I’ll stick with my pure stevia powder… from the actual plant and not messed-around-with. I steer way clear of sugar alcohols – yech!

I should have known to doubt the big cola companies on this one.
    Sorry to be so cynical.

4. Lauren
    Lauren January 7, 2009 at 6:34 pm | | Reply

I bought Stevia sweetener packets years ago at Trader Joe’s, before my dx, so I thought Stevia had been out there for awhile. My problem with the packets was the bitter aftertaste. I drink Diet Coke but I use regular sugar in coffee and everything else, and just bolus for it.

5. Lyme Disease Educator
    Lyme Disease Educator January 10, 2009 at 6:13 pm | | Reply

I’m a huge fan of Stevia and have been using it for over 2 years now in place of sugar. We have also written extensively about using Stevia on our Lyme disease information website. I’m really glad to see this new classification by the FDA.

6. alba
    alba January 11, 2009 at 1:58 am | | Reply

Stevia is a natural non caloric sweetener. In fact it’s a small green plant, which grows in Paraguay. Its leaves have a delicious and refreshing taste 10-15 times sweeter than table sugar

7. FDA Approves Two New Stevia-Based Sweeteners »   Find Me A Cure » Blog Archive

[...] FDA: No Objection to Stevia (At Last) [...]

8. Jane
    Jane January 15, 2009 at 3:59 pm | | Reply

Coke and Pepsi are not the first to be brilliant enough to make a Stevia sweetened soda. A Seattle based company named Zevia, http://www.zevia.com, beat them to it. Zevia started in 2007 marketing their diet soda’s as “carbonated stevia supplement.” There are four delicious flavors including cola, lemon-lime, orange and root beer, all sweetened with stevia. No matter what Coke and Pepsi do, they will never come up with a soda that is completely all natural.

9. taulandi
    taulandi March 1, 2009 at 7:07 am | | Reply

What is stevia in fact?

It is a natural non caloric sweetener. In fact it’s a small green plant, which grows in Paraguay. Its leaves have a delicious and refreshing taste 10-15 times sweeter than table sugar. Meanwhile the stevia extracts (steviosides) have 200-300 times the sweetness of table sugar.

Source: http://www.all-about-beating-diabetes.com/diabetes-and-stevia.html

10. Truvia Trivia : Womens Health
    Truvia Trivia : Womens Health March 22, 2009 at 3:55 pm |

[...] FDA: No Objection to Stevia (At Last)  diabetesmine.com) [...]

11. iamthatiam
    iamthatiam February 27, 2010 at 3:52 pm | | Reply

I have been using stevia for over 10 years. PURE STEVIA, no maltodextrose, glycose, sugars– by any other name, sugar is sugar, you can call it evaporated cane juice, organic sugar….. But when it comes to stevia in the pure form, it is the ONLY sweetener that does not affect diabetics glycemic index. And, that is just now coming out. I am EXREMELY disappointed in the so called stevia sweetners, truvia, and purevia— READ THE LABEL, maltodextrin! What is the point of using stevia if you are going to add sugar products to it…. it seems defeating to add sugar, to an already natural product that is 300 x sweeter than sugar! As a food addict, and having a diabetic spouse, I caution EVERYONE to please read the label, pure stevia is the best sweetner out there and it doesn’t cause cravings for me, a change in my blood sugar level. Be wary of the imposters that are coming out when it comes to stevia, IT IS INTENDED to be used INSTEAD OF sugar, or why bother with it all?

12. Rod
    Rod August 6, 2012 at 1:56 am | | Reply

With a family that has a history of diabetes Stevia has been the best alternative for us. Personally in my own opinion I would not trust the Coke and Pepsi brands. I’ve read that some of the additives they use in their version of Stevia come from genetically modified foods. Personally I don’t want to be a lab rat for these huge conglomerates. And yes the best brand Stevia that I’ve found (i have tried at least 3 of them) is the NuNaturals brand by far no bitter aftertaste.