1. riva
    riva December 5, 2008 at 6:25 am |

As I tell my fellow “D’s,” we humans are easily to fool. My usual activity is an hour’s walk and when I don’t feel like doing it because it’s a bone-chilling 10 degrees Fahrenheit I tell myself, “O.K., only go ten minutes,” forgetting both that ten minutes out means ten minutes back for a total of twenty, and that once I get going my ego won’t let me stop!

If it’s cold, layer up; by time you’ve gone three streets, you’ll be taking off your scarf, another three, unbuttoning your top buttons. Cold, in my book, is easy to manage, excess heat and humidity, well, there’s little you can pare down to to be both comfortable and not get arrested.

riva

2. riva
    riva December 5, 2008 at 6:36 am |

As I tell my fellow “D’s,” we humans are easy to fool. My usual activity is an hour’s walk and when I don’t feel like doing it because it’s a bone-chilling 10 degrees Fahrenheit or I need the next three hours to decide what to wear to my sixth social function because everyone’s already seen me in the outfit I’ve worn to the previous five, I tell myself–”O.K., just walk ten minutes” –forgetting both that ten minutes out means ten minutes back for a total of twenty, and that once I get going my ego won’t let me stop! Somehow arriving a little late to a party won’t get noticed, and, people will be all the more curious about your “seemingly” hectic social life!

As for gear: layer up; by time you’ve gone three streets, you’ll be taking off your scarf, another three, unbuttoning your top buttons. Cold is easy to manage, and time is really a matter of prioritizing what’s important to you.

riva

3. Mady
    Mady December 5, 2008 at 7:31 am |

When it’s cold outside, I find it helpful to involve my three year old daughter in indoor exercise. We chase each other in crab walks and other animal walks, jump like frogs, and play red light green light with silly exaggerated movements. I also do planks, and she tries to do them too, or bridges, which she likes to crawl through. Another big hit is airplane- I make sure that she goes up and down several times. It doesn’t sound like much, but after 40 minutes, I find that I definitely feel it.

4. Angela
    Angela December 5, 2008 at 2:52 pm |

I told my WiiFit that I’d lose two pounds in two weeks. If I don’t, the balance-board character will scold me, and my Mii will gain more weight. The poor girl is already embarrassingly round, and I don’t want to make her cry again.

I exercise in the company gym on my breaks and lunch at work, then try to put in just a little extra time at home on the elliptical or the Wii. This adds up to about 70 minutes each day, give or take a few. I’ve found that scheduling all my exercise indoors prevents me from making rainy- or snowy-day excuses that interrupt my schedule and start me in a downward spiral.

5. MoHo
    MoHo December 5, 2008 at 7:07 pm |

The key for me has three essential parts: 1) a workout partner that keeps you motivated and provides the self imposed guilt if you don’t go to the gym 2) a workout split/routine that never makes you too sore or exhausted to go most days of the week and 3) support from my wife/family that provides me with the time to devote an hour or so to exercise while she holds down the fort. So far this is the ONLY method I have found to stick to a program through the winter. Finding a like minded friend to exercise with has made the biggest difference, joy and misery loves company and winter exercise can be a workable combination of the two.

6. mary episcopo
    mary episcopo December 5, 2008 at 10:58 pm |

I found that finding a pool excercize facility.. is good in winter, and a exercize program on tv would be benefial. The hardest part for me is arthritis in my spine. But i got instructions for excercizing to strengthen the muscles. and try to work through as much as possible. Or find a friend to excercize with you.:)

7. mary episcopo
    mary episcopo December 5, 2008 at 11:11 pm |

exercize doesn’t necessarily mean going to a gym. vigorous apt cleaning, or chair excercizes. for 30 mins a day i think back to when i was in gym classes when we were doing exercises. make it fun. richard simmons, billy blanks, put on your favorite music, and dance. i enjoy dancing, and sometimes billy blanks its a bit faster, mostly cardial . but it works, you lose weight and keep blood sugars down.

8. jessey
    jessey December 7, 2008 at 9:47 am |

I am a type 2 Diabetic and have been for several years. I recently as of 3 mths ago joined weight watchers to lose weight and discuss various tips on easy to cook foods. I have also been walking for the past summer almost every morning which has helped as far as losing some weight. Now that it is colder, especially in the mornings I have not walked and as a result not losing as steadily as before…so I figure out ways to get my exercise in my home. cleaning and the usual. My intent is to lose enough weight so that I can get off of some of this medicine. Levimire? and Novolog. I realize this is going to take some time since I hate to give up the amounts of food that I have been use to eating. I believe it’s all in getting use to eating less and of course giving up some of the goodies. I too enjoy dancing however my balance is not what it use to be. I would hate to end up on the floor and become a TV commercial, you know the one I mean,” Help I’v fallen and I can’t get up”. .so I step in place.

9. dan 2
    dan 2 December 7, 2008 at 10:33 am |

Hi Amy
    Exercise in the winter season brings certain challenges. The season has arrived. Today and yesterday it was 20 degrees. A friend to share choices can add to an activity that results in a daily “exercise activities”. Our best time to walk is first thing in the morning. It is a brisk 15-20 minute walk with a chance to view the beauty that can be observed in the unfolding of a new new day. Yesterday’s numbers were history and let’s move forward on today. My special diabetic friend greets me every morning and sleeping in is not an option. Prior to her diagnosis she has arosed me from morning lows. Our day is broken up into certain walk times. First thing in the morning, just before dinner and the conclusion of the day are the basic routine. Our best numbers are found in the morning. She has better A1c’s and I have my work cut-out to keep up with her. We average 30 – 45 minutes a day and some days can get as high as 120 minutes. My reward is the companionship and wet kisses. Her name is Maggie May and she is a miniature schnauzer and has been a type 1 diabetic for 15 months. Exercise that is a shared opportunity for a relationship has helped with our numbers. You see Maggie May loves the snow and this is her time of the year. So…..let is snow and we walk!

10. Kesley
    Kesley December 7, 2008 at 2:04 pm |

I try to work out at least 30 minutes every other day. Either running on a treadmill or taking a nice long walk if it is nice outside. The way that I stay active during the winter months is go to a local gym that is inside to stay warm. The holiday madness isn’t that bad because my dad is also a diabetic so we don’t have a lot of sweets and carbs around the house. Most of the other family is use to not having cakes and cookies around the house so that is a nice support for me and my dad.

11. Anne
    Anne December 7, 2008 at 4:44 pm |

Here are some suggestions:
    1) Make a commitment that you can be successful at. Since this is usually a very busy time of year, it may not be feasible to exercise as much as you might at other times. So make a goal that is realistic and don’t think that it’s not worth it to exercise for a shorter period of time. Keeping the habit going is as important as improving your fitness for that next 5k. When I have a tough time fitting in exercise, I commit to just 10 minutes a day. Usually, getting started is the hardest part and I end up exercising much longer. But mentally, 10 minutes is sometimes all you might be able to commit to.
    2) Speaking of 5k’s, another way to keep things going is to sign up for a race or event early in the year. Maybe you could try a snow-shoeing or cross-country ski event, or a holiday 5k. It might give you that extra motivation to keep some exercise going. Sign up for a half marathon if you need a bigger challenge to keep you going.
    3) Exercise with friends. Knowing that your friend is waiting for you at 6 AM is a good motivation for getting up rather than pressing the snooze button for an hour. It can be a lot of fun, too.
    4) Take an exercise class. Sign up for a spinning, swimming or other class at your gym, or take a local boot camp class if you have that available. Making a financial commitment can help motivate; just don’t make your gym your largest charity donation.
    5) Try different things. Enjoy snow sports, if those are available, or other winter sports. Go sledding, skiing, or if you live in California, just continue to go on bike rides!!

Okay, those are a few tips. Most of all, have fun! Exercise doesn’t have to be a drudge, even if it isn’t 100% fun all the time :)
    -Anne Findlay

12. Anne
    Anne December 7, 2008 at 5:13 pm |

Okay here are a couple more suggestions:
    1) Dress appropriately and have the gear to stay warm. To purchase the warm clothes necessary to exercise in winter may be a bit of an investment, but it is one that will pay off year after year. To be able to bike in California in the winter, I purchased very warm leg warmers, shoe covers, a cap, long-fingered gloves, etc. (I served my time in snowy states so don’t think I haven’t been there either… :) That way, I am not miserable outside and can still enjoy those winter rides.
    2) Don’t go outside before you start exercising! Check the temp online, and dress for the weather, but don’t go out or you might be discouraged by the cold. Once you exercise regularly in the cold, you will learn what to wear at certain temp’s. If I just go right out and start exercising, I am less bothered by the cold. This worked well for me when I was a student in Boston. It always felt colder to me when I was leaving for class than when I had left for my early-morning run.
    3) Be careful on ice & snow.
    4) (On the topic of exercise classes..) Winter is a great time to take a technique class, such as swim lessons or beginning yoga etc. If it is too dark and/or cold outside for your tastes, you can use your indoor exercise time well.
    5) During the holidays, include exercise with your family. I think we had about 7 people from my family going around the block on a walk. It gives the neighbors some entertainment, too.

Okay that’s probably enough from me! Cheers!

13. Ashley
    Ashley December 7, 2008 at 6:43 pm |

Well, honestly I use my Wii as one form of fitness during the snowy season. No matter what you’re playing on the Wii, it can be turned into a work out. Working your muscles is great and the Wii can help with cardio workouts. Also, I do the normal…sit ups, push ups, leg lifts…etc.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.