1. David Edelman
    David Edelman October 30, 2008 at 6:42 am | | Reply

Amy, thanks for getting in touch and posting that exchange. There’s a lot of good information there. I think the quirk factor can work in this case. When the London Eye and hundreds of distinctive monuments are lit up in blue, then the logo in blue is a quirky and fun way to be part of a global initiative. Let’s keep pushing for this in the year to come. Again, thank you and thank you!

2. Scott
    Scott October 30, 2008 at 6:55 am | | Reply

I think even if we get something for 2009 World Diabetes Day, it will still be an accomplishment, so while I hope Google reconsiders (Louis Pasteur more important for a doodle than WDD … WTF?) its position, I still think this is worthy of consideration and the petition is solid evidence that Google should move for 2009!

3. tmana
    tmana October 30, 2008 at 7:20 am | | Reply

Re: Pasteur over WDD — Pasteur was one of the innovators in medicine, and the father of vaccination. Outgrowth of his work has resulted in the global eradication of smallpox and a serious drop in the number of people affected by polio worldwide. Even those who choose not to vaccinate are affected by Pasteur’s work, since they are exposed to fewer potential sources of contagion.

On the flip side, while many people are afflicted with diabetes, it is not universal, and it tends not to affect the lives or lifestyles of many older patients with Type 2 diabetes (“I just take a pill for it and use Splenda in my coffee instead of sugar”). The adverse news reports concerning Avandia and Byetta do not help in making diabetes awareness an “upbeat” cause for those without glucose metabolism disorders.

If one were to try to convince Google to honor diabetes, one might consider that “quirkiness” factor and choose instead the anniversary of the first successful use of animal-based insulin (it gives the artists an excuse to draw cute little pigs and cows instead of just one blue circle). We may need to “think outside the box” of traditional advocacy…

4. David Edelman
    David Edelman October 30, 2008 at 8:06 am | | Reply

tmana, the pigs comment is spot-on. My wife and I have been discussing what would qualify as quirky all morning.

5. CALpumper
    CALpumper October 30, 2008 at 8:27 am | | Reply

I am sad to hear this but I understand Google’s position.

But this is not just about America, Canada and Europe…..this disease IS universal in that it IS International:

India is the diabetes capital of the world with estimated 41 million Indians having diabetes.Every fifth diabetic in the world is an Indian.It is believed that about one third of the Diabetic in India do not know they have Diabetes. (http://malayalidoc.blogspot.com/2008/10/call-for-google-doodle-for-world.html).

I understand that there are many “causes” out there, many diseases in which many are affected. But diabetes is an International disease affecting Millions.

Quirkiness is good, the pig is good. Next year is good.
    Collectively I think we can do some good, no doubt.
    Many were looking forward to having a doodle this year.

Thanks again Amy, tmana for your informative comments as always (so many people learn so much from you) from Manny and David for pushing this great venture out into the DOC.

6. Chris
    Chris October 30, 2008 at 9:48 am | | Reply

I have noticed that Yahoo! alters their header for certain events. Maybe Yahoo would be interested.

7. Hannah
    Hannah October 30, 2008 at 3:40 pm | | Reply

What if the Doodle was accompanied by dancing bottles of insulin and glucometers? How’s that for quirky?

Hmm. Do you suppose we could combine diabetes with invention, such as the anniversary of the discovery of insulin? :)

8. Hannah
    Hannah October 30, 2008 at 3:41 pm | | Reply

Meh, tmana beat me to that one. Oh well! Kudos!!

9. pre diabetes symptoms
    pre diabetes symptoms October 30, 2008 at 9:36 pm | | Reply

We all have to do every thing for helping people with doabetes, google also have to do something.

10. Natalie
    Natalie October 31, 2008 at 6:47 pm | | Reply

Perhaps, we could all begin doing Google searches for diabetes related topics, so it becomes a highly searched word that’s on the short list in time for 2009′s WDD.

11. Manny Hernandez
    Manny Hernandez October 31, 2008 at 8:06 pm | | Reply

I won’t take no for an answer… not yet, at least. Just posted this:

12. Lauren
    Lauren November 3, 2008 at 9:14 pm | | Reply

Dancing glucometers and insulin bottles, I can get behind. But I am an animal lover, and I think it’s morbid to have little pigs to remind us of those who supplied the first animal insulins. I am so glad there are rDNA insulins now.

13. Robb
    Robb November 5, 2008 at 5:45 pm | | Reply

.. I was going to suggest that folks grab hold of the Google logo and have fun creating a “doodle” for WDD 2009. But then I realized that if you did, Google would sue the pants, skirt, and knickers off you.
    .. So, do NOT open up your Adobe Photoshop or your Paint.net and make your own WDD doodle using the Google logo. Do not mess with the Google logo using Windows Paint or G.I.M.P. Don’t even think about taking Corel PaintShop to the Google logo and trying to make a fun and quirky doodle.
    .. You have been warned! Now, please excuse me. My Paint.net is blinking down on my task bar and I must tend to it…

14. martin
    martin November 14, 2008 at 10:09 am | | Reply

all I can say is “shame on you google”
    an opportunity to possibly save so many lives by creating awareness and they choose not to! Quirkiness- who cares about that, diabetes is awareness and the effects of diabetes far out weigh any quirkiness factor that would be needed!
    Pathetic, that’s all I can say!

15. Brian
    Brian November 18, 2008 at 12:12 pm | | Reply

It is too bad that such a large company such as Google has all these excuses for not supporting a cause like diabetes. I myself never thought much about it until my ten month old son was diagnosed in oct of 2007. I was surprised to find out how little support there is for this disease compared to other ones such as breast cancer and heart disease. i think that more needs to be done to let the world know what diabetes can do to a person, and that insulin, pills and glucometers are only a treatment and not a cure. Shame on Google for not stepping up to the plate on this one. Its pretty sad day when you have to pick a cause to support based on how much money is generated from searches or advertisement. To all those who help support diabetes research, I thank you.

16. Jay Larsen
    Jay Larsen November 23, 2008 at 9:44 am | | Reply

Morning-

Can’t you guys do something to help out these folks?

Thanks,
    Jay Larsen

17. Diabetes Google Doodle
    Diabetes Google Doodle November 7, 2013 at 5:54 am |

[...] googling, I also found that I wasn’t alone; an army of people wanted to see a diabetes-related doodle back in 2008. And then again in 2012. (Thanks, Amy, from DiabetesMine for spelling out the [...]