1. kokernutz
    kokernutz October 31, 2008 at 6:52 am | | Reply

I was diagnosed when I was 12 years old, 3 days before Halloween. Imagine?

As for the candy, I think I have it easy. I bolus for the carbs and my BG is pretty much where it should be an hour later.

2. redman50
    redman50 October 31, 2008 at 7:50 am | | Reply

There’s no need to deny yourself a little libation with your young daughter once in a while. Just remembet to do about a half hour or so of vigorous exercise after words to counteract the carb intake. One particularly good exercise for this time of year is raking leaves. I do it every day for about a half hour to 45 min every day. And since they fall almost as fast as I rake them ( I have a lot of trees around my property) I always have plenty to rake every day. Another good exercise is a good brisk half hour walk or bicycle ride. There are lots of exercises we can do. We just have to stop making excuses why we can’t find time to do them and “JUST DO IT!” Excuses don’t lower BG exercise does.
    I was diagnosed this past March and the first thing I did was go out and buy the book STOPPING DIABETES IN ITS TRACKS put out by READERS’ DIGEST. The second thing I did was read it and do what it says. I occasionally have treats that raise my BG. A few times it even spiked into the 170′s once even got pretty darn close to 200 ( upper 190′s) but that was when I was fighting a cold. But i kept up my exercising and watcahing my diet. Any body can do it. We just have to stop saying ” I can’t,” and start saying “I can”, and “DO IT”

3. Karin
    Karin October 31, 2008 at 9:42 am | | Reply

Well, redman50, I admire you’re spunk, but when a good day for me is when my BG IS 200, I have to say some must have it easier than others. I spike when I look at chocolate. It feels like I bolus for days after I eat that reese cup or swiss cake roll. I do exercise, but more often than not I have to make adjustments for the inevitable low that comes and just as often, I over correct and then it’s “Hello, 200! It’s been a while!” (not) I’m glad that the book is helpful to you and I just may pick up a copy for the insight, but this disease is the perfect YMMV disease.

4. Dav
    Dav October 31, 2008 at 9:46 am | | Reply

Just another one of the many sacrifices we type 1′s suffer vs non-diabetics. I could get a Starbuck’s mocha but now I just get coffee and add Splenda, booooring, but avoids the diabetic hassle. I love sugar but tough. Type 1′s know that bolusing and waiting an extra period of time(for me, 30 min) before eating hot chocolate/other dessert items is the way to get reasonable control of bg. Exercise is ideal for Type 2 but is a tricky way to handle desserts for type 1 because it accelerates the action of insulin and unless you have very detailed knowledge of your body’s dynamics, you will end up low or high or perhaps low early on and then high later on. Of course pre-bolusing or exercising afterwards isn’t optimal for spontaneous situations like having your daughter say hey, let’s get hot chocolate unless you feel like sitting around waiting for the pre-bolus or going for a walk after.

5. landileigh
    landileigh October 31, 2008 at 9:49 am | | Reply

amy,
    i just always double my I:C ratio for anything starbuck’s related. seems to work. the caffeine in their drinks must be extra bolusable! cherish those moments with your children, they’re what memories are made of. you won’t remember the high years from now, but you’ll remember her spending her own money to share a special afternoon together.
    landileigh

6. k2
    k2 October 31, 2008 at 10:19 am | | Reply

Amy T – your already chock full of Whoop-Ass! Any member of Dblogville will attest to that.
    As far s Starbuck’s – I normally go for the Green Ice Tea -straight up. the damage is minimal and green tea is loaded with anti oxidents.
    Halloween and the damn HFCS – W.T.F – that crap drives me nuts!
    I stick to dark chocolate (not as terrible as regular candy) and I try to treat my self to a great day. Halloween is also my Diabetes Anniversary, and after 31 years, I still love the ideal of dressing up and the excuse to indulge in chocolate. And I’m still here, so I got that going for me! :)
    YOU ROCK
    k2

7. k2
    k2 October 31, 2008 at 12:03 pm | | Reply

Yeah – I’m all about timing – and apparently, so were my parents!
    Kelly K! ;)

8. riva
    riva October 31, 2008 at 2:34 pm | | Reply

I wouldn’t have believed it but Apidra actually does work much faster than Humalog and Novolog. I have to shoot up after I eat. Since it works so fast it also never lets my blood sugar get as high, and, I know what I’ve eaten afterward as opposed to guessing what I’m going to consume while standing on that Starbucks line. For those on rapid-acting insulin injections, you might give Apidra a try.

9. Jeanette
    Jeanette November 2, 2008 at 12:46 pm | | Reply

I’ve just started to get Americanos (the shot of espresso with hot or cold water) and then add half n’ half and splenda, or a shot of SF flavoring. Its been so much easier to bolus for the coffee that way, vs a latte which is always nightmare. I totally relate.

10. Mady
    Mady November 2, 2008 at 3:20 pm | | Reply

For those who find that they have to bolus at a different ratio at starbucks, have you checked unsweetened caffine? I will go into the 200s just from black coffee. I could be off on my science, but I think that the caffeine raises your cortisol levels which causes your liver to dump glycogen. (As a side note: non carb highs are my absolute least favorite thing to bolus for! sick? guess a percentage. )

11. Stemulite
    Stemulite November 2, 2008 at 5:09 pm | | Reply

I completely agree with Jeanette. Diluted Americanos is the way to go. Drives me nuts when my coworkers all want to go grab an afternoon ‘pick me up’ cup of Joe. I love coffee, but have to drink watered down slop. Grrrr. Better than nothing, I guess.

BTW…great costume!

12. June S.
    June S. November 3, 2008 at 4:32 am | | Reply

Amy,
    When I go to Starbucks during the summer I order a short (yes, they make that if you ask!) decaf iced Americano. I put in half and half (because it doesn’t spike my BG the way soy milk does.) During the colder weather I have a hot Americano with half and half. Perhaps you are allergic to milk products. I can’t recall …

13. Susannah Fox
    Susannah Fox November 3, 2008 at 1:48 pm | | Reply

Thanks, Amy, for the camaraderie of the damned :)

Over on the food allergy list I subscribe to, everyone was trading tips & sympathy about which candy corn is nut-free and how Twizzlers contain gluten. Luckily my kids were more excited to dress up and hand out candy than to eat it. And although I didn’t even have to hand-stitch a costume, it was almost as good as this blogger’s Real Deal Halloween (http://www.greenphonebooth.com/2008/11/real-deal.html).

14. Lauren
    Lauren November 3, 2008 at 9:06 pm | | Reply

I get a large Starbucks soy latte with sugar free vanilla syrup a few times a week when I can justify it — as a reward for some serious studying, usually. I never bolus for it and it usually bounces me only 40 points. See? There is no way to standardize “carb counting” and the other nonsense about management. It’s all just trial and error, and factoring in the myriad daily variables that impact the BG equation. Did I have a five-mile walk this morning? Then I can eat those strawberries without bolusing insulin. Did I skip my exercise because I had a test? Then I’d bloody well better take some insulin with that fruit.

And, I know I’ve said this before, but Apidra was a disaster for me. My post-prandial control evaporated the first day I used it. I am not going to make that mistake again. I need the post-meal coverage. Plus, it’s very easy to over-correct with Apidra. I would see a sky-high post-prandial number and quickly bolus to get that horrific reading down, and would wind up low. Now, for a carb-rich meal, I bolus 50/50 Humalog and Humulin R. The combination gives me good post-meal coverage for slow carbs.

15. Lisa
    Lisa November 4, 2008 at 4:12 pm | | Reply

I was about to comment on the carb count of the decaf soy latte (that’s what I drink too), but noticed that Lauren got to it first. Starbucks is so not my friend. It’s such a pain in the bucket that anything other than black coffee requires a shot! If I’m at the office, it’s 8 ounces of decaf at a time with three mini-moos (no carbs!) and a sweet-n-low. No more than 24 ounces in a day. And Starbucks is NOT in my monthly calendar.

16. Lisa
    Lisa November 4, 2008 at 4:16 pm | | Reply

Whoops, she commented on her point bounce. A Grande Soy latte has 23g of carbs (17g are sugar), 4.5g of Fat and 170 calories. The Starbucks website has a nutrition counter: http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutrition_beverage_detail.asp for you to check out your drinks ahead of time.

17. howihealed.com
    howihealed.com November 4, 2008 at 8:02 pm | | Reply

Sugar is actually the devil. High Fructose Corn Syrup, Organic Cane Sugar, Honey, Sucrose..etc.. I think its all to be eaten minimally. Of course its frustrating when you’re limited to certain foods, but either we have to heal or just deal… Don’t you think?