1. tmana
    tmana October 9, 2008 at 8:39 am | | Reply

For fiber, try adding beans and lentils (buy the dry beans and soak/cook them yourself). VERY high in fiber, relatively high in protein (for a vegetal source and/or starch), and as long as they’ve not been frozen after cooking, the carbs should not spike you.

Regarding single vitamins and minerals, check your dietary sources. Often you’ll do better to add the appropriate food into your diet than to take a supplement. And many of the vitamin pills say they are better tolerated when taken with meals.

2. Michelle S.
    Michelle S. October 9, 2008 at 10:44 am | | Reply

Hi Amy,

As someone who has had Type I diabetes for 28 years (since I was 7 years old), I love your blog. Thanks for all the good work you do.

About multivitamins, which I have taken my whole life, I find that taking them in the evening with dinner eliminates the nausea. You might give that a try.

Cheers!
    Michelle

3. Snowflake Seven
    Snowflake Seven October 9, 2008 at 11:12 am | | Reply

You’ve been a victimized by the pseudo-science of Nutritionism.

Highly recommend reading, In Defense of Eating by Michael Pollan

4. Romeo from the great white north
    Romeo from the great white north October 9, 2008 at 3:15 pm | | Reply

I take a suppliment called “PGX Daily” at least once a day, which has a side effect of helping stablize BG levels and it is primarily a fiber pill. I think that it was developed by the University of Toronto. It seems to work for me.
    I have been a type 1 for around 35 years and have a 6.3 A1C also, and have to maintain that control if I am to keep the Kidney function from failing.

5. karend1
    karend1 October 9, 2008 at 5:41 pm | | Reply

I was going to suggest the vitamins after dinner as well that is when I take them, if I remember :( I justed added Vit D as well as it was on ABC National News, how important it is. The aspirin I forget to take as well, but was suggested by my endo. It sounds to me like you have an excellent and caring MD.

Oooooo before we all forget, GREAT A1C, I know how much hard work goes into getting a great number like that!!!!

6. Holger Schmeken
    Holger Schmeken October 10, 2008 at 6:15 am | | Reply

Vitamin pills are activism to me. They give you the feeling to have done something good for your body and this feeling was very easy to achieve. I think people should be concerned more about the quality and balance of their daily food. One vitamin pill will not change that. Some scientists even argue that cells have effective defense and repair mechanisms when they are short of vitamins. These strategies will only be triggered when the vitamin levels go below the treshhold. Living with always sufficient vitamin levels is like to live your life without ever having any fever attack. But fever will trigger a high alert immune reaction that can kill even cancer cells. These cancer cells would have survived without the fever strategy. An argument pro vitamin pills could be that todays agricultural conditions do not allow the fruit to build up sufficient vitamin levels. I would agree but the right answer should be to eat more fruit (do not suppose that I am a role model for this).

So as a T1 I would say: you have a pump, you have a meter, pick one food and try to figure out how to handle it, how many carbs, distribution strategy to catch fructose later (multiwave or delayed), log the reactions. Try that for some days to learn how to handle the fruit. In my opinion it is worth the efford to get a grip on that.

See you on TuDiabetes.com

7. Beth
    Beth October 10, 2008 at 8:07 am | | Reply

Apparently if you are Vitamin D deficient, your body doesn’t produce enough of a peptide called cathelicidin, which helps protect your skin from infection, leading to eczema. (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081006130503.htm) I’m wondering if there is a correlation between all the skin rashes from adhesives in PWDs and the vitamin D deficiency inherent in T1 diabetes. It is certainly worth a home experiment — cheap and easy! We will be trying it at our house, and will keep you posted.

Regarding your multivitamin — most multivitamins contain a form of iron humans can’t easily digest and can upset your stomach. You may want to switch to a vitamin without iron. Humans really only digest heme iron well, found in red meat. Only a small percentage of non-heme iron (found in grains, vegetables, and most vitamins) is absorbed, so you have to eat a lot more of it to get the same benefit. So get a vitamin without iron and treat yourself to a steak instead! : )

8. Andrea Harris
    Andrea Harris October 10, 2008 at 3:27 pm | | Reply

Kashi Rolls are a great source of fiber and are “optimized for glycemic response.” They are way better than any other protein bar I’ve ever had, too!

9. James Hubbard, M.D., M.P.H.
    James Hubbard, M.D., M.P.H. October 10, 2008 at 4:30 pm | | Reply

Ah, Vitamin D. It’s all the rage. Actually I’ve up my dose also. It’s hard to get it all from the diet and you know you have to limit the sunshine. Still, about 15 minutes a day is all you need. Dermatologists, don’t scream.

10. Florian
    Florian October 12, 2008 at 10:57 am | | Reply

I have read many articles in the various diabetes publications about the 6 to 8 most essential vitamins, minerals, and supplements for PWD. I take most of them every day plus a few others. Amy, I am curious to know what will be on your list when you finally make one up so lets revist this again sometime. Thanks

11. mollyjade
    mollyjade October 16, 2008 at 11:10 am | | Reply

Seriously, congrats on the A1c. My last one was 6.3, and I know I called up everyone I know to brag about it–even if I had to explain what an A1c was first.