1. Florian
    Florian October 3, 2008 at 3:19 pm | | Reply

This is what she had to say in the People Magazine article from your blog.

“My dad has been type-1 diabetic for 40 years,” she told the Congressional forum. “So my entire life all I’ve known is diabetes and how to manage and how to care for him.”

I’ve been a practicing Type 1 for 41 years next month and my children all say the same thing.

2. Lauren
    Lauren October 3, 2008 at 3:30 pm | | Reply

If I ever become a parent I don’t think I’ll discuss my type 1 diabetes with my kid(s). I wouldn’t want to burden them with it. I found out my grandmother was type 1 only after my younger brother’s diagnosis; my dad didn’t even know his mother was insulin-dependent. After a year of blabbing about having type 1, I’m regretting telling my boyfriend and immediate family.

3. Elijah M
    Elijah M October 4, 2008 at 2:42 pm | | Reply

Lauren,

Not letting the people around you know that you have type 1 diabetes is just plain dangerous (when you have an insulin reaction, for instance). If they feel burdened by the information, that’s probably a good reason to find better people to spend your time with.

Should your diabetes be the only thing you talk about? Obviously not. But it is vital information, and as a matter of safety, everyone who knows you should be aware of it.

4. sheila of philly
    sheila of philly October 4, 2008 at 3:22 pm | | Reply

HI IM A 31 YEAR OLD BLACK FROM PHILADELPHIA AND I BEEN I HAVE HAD DIABETES 4 LIKE A ALMOUST 2 YEARS KNOW AND ITS STILL NOT UNDER CONTROL I DONT HOW TO GET IT UNDER CONTROL CAN SOME ONE HELP

5. William Lee Jennings
    William Lee Jennings October 6, 2008 at 7:28 am | | Reply

Anyone that is diabetic must see a Doctor. Let your family know what the Doctor wants you to do & what your medications are. You can send for your medications & have them come in the mail to your home. Do not put off the Doctors visit. Diabetes not under controll will only get worse.

6. Molly A.
    Molly A. April 15, 2009 at 8:30 pm | | Reply

Sheila of Philly,

It is great that you have reached out for help! While, yes it is very important that you see a doctor, you need to specifically see an endocrinologist, a doctor that specializes in Diabetes. Many individuals with Diabetes just go to their main primary doctor to treat their Diabetes, but often times, a specialist is necessary to get the special attention that Diabetes requires. This will also be the first step in helping you get good control. Good luck!

Molly A., RN, CDE