1. Jenny R
    Jenny R October 16, 2008 at 8:07 am | | Reply

I use pen needles and have found it possible to reuse each one many times without their bending, causing pain, or contaminating my insulin.

I hope these click-on needles are NOT designed in such a way that they are not reusable. My cynical side suspects that is the real reason for the redesign–yet more profit off us folks with diabetes, not usefulness.

2. Leeanthro
    Leeanthro October 16, 2008 at 12:16 pm | | Reply

I have never even thought of reusing one of my daughter’s pen needles and probably won’t. Doesn’t seem safe/sanitary to me. But what do I know?

I also just heard about people not changing their lancet every time. Seems like it would not be clean after use.

Do people reuse their supplies over and over? Is this safe? Wouldn’t you be worried about needless infections?

(I really would like to know.)

3. riva
    riva October 16, 2008 at 1:32 pm | | Reply

Interesting this has become a discussion about reusing needles. First I have to say I have the click on pen needles and you can use them more than once just like any other pen needle or syringe or lancet. Some diabetes educators recommend changing your pen needle every day because not doing so can cause leaking of the insulin from the cartridge or air bubbles in the insulin cartridge, but if you don’t find any such problem you can reuse any pen needle including the click on ones.

ADA guidelines recommend not reusing needles for a variety of reasons including: it keeps the shot from hurting (reuse dulls the coating on the needle making the shot hurt more), needles are so thin today they can bend by reusing them, and yes, reuse can cause infection, although it”s not likely unless you have open wounds, poor personal hygiene or a low resistance to infection. It’s safest for organizations and manufacturers to tell you not to reuse a needle, but most of us who’ve used needles for ages, reuse them.

riva

4. riva
    riva October 16, 2008 at 2:16 pm | | Reply

I forgot to add that I was very pleasantly surprised by the absolute ease of the click on needle compared to twisting a regular pen needle on. I can imagine it’s extremely useful if you do have dexterity problems and it makes life a little brighter even if you don’t.

5. Herbalife and Diabetes
    Herbalife and Diabetes October 16, 2008 at 3:55 pm | | Reply

Click on needles just seems to be more work. I prefer the disposable. But, in all honesty, haven’t tried the click ons yet. The cure is coming!!!
    Thanks for the blog.
    Rich Kulakowski

6. June S.
    June S. October 16, 2008 at 7:05 pm | | Reply

RE: Dex4
    I sing professionally, and if I am going low while in the midst of a singing gig, the last thing I want to pop in my mouth is a chalky glucose tablet that must be chewed! I saw a product (manufacturer unknown) in the pharmacy the other day that you could SPRAY into your mouth, but the carb count was inaccurate on the container. It sounded like a good idea, though, if only the correct carb count (per X amount of sprays) had been included.

7. Lauren
    Lauren October 16, 2008 at 8:36 pm | | Reply

I shamelessly re-use my needles and I’m trying to get better about it. I change my lancet needle often to prevent excessively sore fingers, but I leave my pen needle on for days. Knock on wood, I’ve never had any sort of infection or infection site inflammation.

Strangely, I’ve found that the air bubble problem gets worse with needle changes (or maybe it’s because I need to prime the pen more?). Another reason I neglect my pen needle is because there is no convenient place for me to stash the used needle if I’m not at home where I can discard it.

Lastly, I feel guilty about the amount of medical waste I generate as a type 1 diabetic! My test strips alone could take up a landfill.

8. Andrew
    Andrew October 17, 2008 at 6:33 am | | Reply

My doctor jokingly calls me “Mr. Clean” because I use needles for a couple/few days. I rarely change my lancet. I’ve never had any problems of any sort. I do make sure my hands are washed and clean.

I, too, feel it is a profit measure by the manufacturers to suggest changing needles after every use. If the needle isn’t shared (of course), there should be no issue with re-use…other than losing sharpness.

9. Alice Gaffey
    Alice Gaffey October 17, 2008 at 5:31 pm | | Reply

hello,
    I am commenting on the Dex 4 glucose tabs. My daughter really likes them, and they seem to work even better than a juice box for her lows, because if I give her 2 tabs, she does not seem to rebound as high as when I give her a juice box, which she drinks the entire 4 oz. of.
    I think you asked for feedback on the Dex 4 products. A Parent, named Stacey, from the Children with Diabetes web site sent them to me, along with other supplies that my insurance does not cover for the pump, like uni solve, IV3000 and IV prep. Stacey was so generous to send me a box of each, along with the Dex 4 she got at the Children with Diabetes convention in Orlando.
    So I say thumbs up on the D3ex 4 tabs, she loves the taste too.

Alice Gaffey
    Mom to Molly age 6, pumping minimed paradigm 522

10. Mitch
    Mitch October 17, 2008 at 10:57 pm | | Reply

I use a pen needle, and don’t mind screwing the top on. Being Type 2, I only have to inject twice a day, so it’s just fine. I also change the needles each time I use them, that bending thing as you mentioned (plus,half the time it hurts, so I obviously still am not proficient at it), but I don’t change the lancets to check glucose any sooner than once a month.