1. ij
    ij October 22, 2008 at 1:40 pm | | Reply

Just curious – perhaps you could find out? I know that the Ping is only available in the US at the moment, however does it have the ability built in yet to switch readings from mg/dl to mmol/l?!?

Patiently awaiting its availability in Canada…..

2. vanessa
    vanessa October 22, 2008 at 2:10 pm | | Reply

this post was really helpful and timely for me. the warranty on my minimed paradigm expires in a week, and i’d been debating whether to use this next insurance battle to upgrade to the 522, or switch to the animas ping. i picked up information on the ping at the TCOYD conference a couple weeks ago (nice to have met you, amy!), and got in contact with animas to move forward. all the features that jeanette mentioned were things that also stood out to me. if any others of you out there are using the ping, please chime in :)

3. Kelly K
    Kelly K October 22, 2008 at 6:36 pm | | Reply

Thanks for the info Amy and Jeannette!
    I’m in the market now that my pump is almost 4.5 years old and hearing from someone who actually uses the Ping really helps. I love that as patients we have so many options, but it does make pump shopping a bit confusing – this really helped to keep the One Touch Ping System on my short list ;)
    k2

4. Michael
    Michael October 28, 2008 at 6:42 pm | | Reply

Hello,

I am currently a Ping user. I couldn’t be more happier with the product. I can sit here and ramble on about how wonderful it is. Since you don’t have to access the pump, I found that being able to “hide” it on you is one of the best features. I agree with Jeanette in saying the Ping is “beautiful”.

5. Bob
    Bob November 2, 2008 at 12:47 pm | | Reply

Pumpers, (or those to be)

I had my One Touch Ping installed, was trained on and programmed in Denver, CO at the Barbara Davis Diabetes Research Center. This is my first pump. I had a motorcycle accident which I walked away from due to a Insulin Shock problem (low blood sugar). Now I have had diabetes for 16 some years, had the autoimmune antibody test done (positive), and got the pump under the DME clause on my insurance policy. I am very lucky to be alive today after the accident. In my mind I was just getting more brittle. I was told by one health care provider that I was injecting too much insulin (Novolog), read elsewhere that the Lantus can be unpredictable, but the bottom line was I know I needed help. Another ER nurse told me to start pumping. I have been pumping for the the past month and the morning lows are gone! The lows are gone. And my A1C will just have to improve. I use the software and download from the pump and meter. Now I am not dumb – I have a BS in Meteorology and am a Network Administrator. Sometimes we just need a “push”. I can not say enough about it. Sure the recall on the meter is there. But being proactive and caring is what I read into this. Animas is being proactive. I am always paired with the pump so it does not affect me. Still, they are recalling. What don’t I like about it? Its expensive. You sleep with it on. Thats about it. I don’t have to shoot, the food database in the meter is great, Insulin on Board – it knows what is still in you and working from that last bolus. It holds 200 units of insulin, the lithium battery lasts 6-8 weeks in the pump. Infusion sets – use just about whatever you want with a Luer Connection. I am new to all of this but it has turned my life around. You can even program 3 other Basal rates for things like exercise, skiing all day, or even riding a motorcycle to keep those sugars a touch high – just to be safe.

Do the homework, call Animas or any other pump manufacturer and decide for yourself. A number of different pump manufacturers were there the day I was approved for the pump by an Endocronologist, giving their sales pitches. I knew this was the pump for me. And I like it, no I love it. -Bob

6. Bob
    Bob November 2, 2008 at 1:09 pm | | Reply

To ij asking about the units:

According to the manual, the units are set at the factory and can not be changed…..therefore mg/dL is the unit of measure and cannot be changed. To convert according to the manual:

mg/dL – mg/dL is the unit used to measure BG
    levels. It is the abbreviation for milligrams of
    glucose per deciliter of blood. To convert mg/dL to
    mmol/L, divide by 18 or multiply by 0.055.
    mmol/L – mmol/L is an alternative unit used to
    measure BG levels. It is the abbreviation for
    millimoles/liter. To convert mmol/L to mg/dL,
    multiply by 18 or divide by 0.055.

7. Mag
    Mag December 2, 2008 at 9:14 pm | | Reply

I have never used a pump but was referred to use one by a management nurse at the diabetic center of which is part of my health plan. I must admit right up front that my glucose readings are ways out of line – last week I was up to 313 and usually I am around 250+ . It is a very sad situation in that sense. I am short but only weigh 102 – 104. My big problem is the way I eat but of course it doesn’t matter if I don’t eat because the high numbers are always there and if I don’t eat I weight will drop. I currently am taking oral medication (two different types) and I have been on lantus and another insulin and was not able to adjust. I was experiencing very low sugars and having a difficult time injecting my self in a place that didn’t hurt. It just did not work for me but now I am starting to realize that I need to get serious and do something different. A friend of mine has just started using the pump and so far she seems to be excited and happy about it.

I have just a few questions:
    1. What are the dimensions of the ping.
    2. What is the cost and can it be covered through your medical provider?

8. Bob
    Bob January 4, 2009 at 11:04 am | | Reply

The ping is smaller in size than a deck of cards (much) but probably just as thick. The DME or Durable Medical Equipment clause is usually what covers it as far as insurance. The ongoing cost of infusion sets, insulin, cartridges, and batteries with test strips are what you need to account for over the long term. Some of these are covered under different portions of your insurance as well.

9. Julie
    Julie June 3, 2009 at 3:26 pm | | Reply

Amy, I am very interested in the Animas Ping, but was wondering how much blood is required for the meter…. .3ml or 1.0ml? Thanks, Julie

10. ChrisK
    ChrisK July 27, 2009 at 1:03 pm | | Reply

hi…

just got my Ping in the mail today. One thing that jump out at me….

the carrying case for the meter is obscenely large! Seriously, I think the case I had for my One Touch II may have been smaller. I wonder if I can get an ultra-smart case to fit the PIng.

11. Jeff
    Jeff July 29, 2009 at 11:58 am | | Reply

The Ping should fit into the ultrasmart case… they’re essentially the same size.

You’re right though, they need someone with some design talent to make a smaller case — the one that comes with the Ping has so much wasted space.

12. Chad
    Chad July 31, 2011 at 10:32 pm | | Reply

I currently use the MINIMED 722 I honestly love it but I’m interested in the ping do to I flat that river alot and I need a water proof pump my only question is do they make a ping that has a 300ml reservoir that will determine me staying with MINIMED or leaving them for animas

13. Mike
    Mike September 29, 2011 at 3:09 pm | | Reply

This is to Chad’s posting dated July 2011 – the Animas OneTouch Ping only has the 200U cartridge. That was a concern for me as we anticipated I would use 70U a day and I would not quite make 3 full days on one cartridge. But, my usage ended up being about 50-55U per day once I got on the pump and the features of the OneTouch Ping FAR outweigh the smaller cartridge. The most amazing feature is the glucose meter controls all options for administering insulin (it even shows you how many units are left in the cartridge). It truly is the best most up to date technology you can get with these pumps (outside the OmniPod which I did not research and my insurance does not cover).

14. Maria
    Maria October 9, 2011 at 1:29 pm | | Reply

Im very new to all this. Just diagnosed with Type1 Diabetes 2 months ago and Dr says good candidate for the pump. So Im shopping. Going to go with he One Touch Ping I think. Just curious about a couple things. I have adhesions from prior surgeries in my tummy….will it be hard to put the pump on? and I sleep on my tummy. And, Im finally regulated and at good blood sugar but will I have to tweek my insulin if I go to the pump??? Im trying to do all my research so any information would be GREAT!! Thanks in advance. : )

15. jane
    jane February 24, 2012 at 6:27 am | | Reply

One Touch Ping Wireless Diabetes Insulin Pump System for sale at very affordable prices
    contact betterworld80@yahoo.com

16. Connected Insulin Pumps: Accu-Chek Combo vs. Animas Ping : DiabetesMine: the all things diabetes blog

[...] started wondering how this new pump-with-glucose-meter-connectivity stacks up to already-available Animas OneTouch Ping? Has Roche one-upped the [...]