1. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell September 18, 2008 at 7:23 am | | Reply

Hi Kelly

I look forward to the day when CGM devices are smaller, easier to use, and covered by medical insurance. It will come, it just takes time and constant advocacy work.

All the device makers seem to focus primarily (exclusively?) on passing FDA requirements. Many of them seem to have forgotten that we’re also people and that there are many ways to improve our experience with devices that we need to live our lives. I’m hoping that this too will change.

Are you coming to the DRI meeting in New York next month? If so, I hope to see you there.

2. kelly close
    kelly close September 18, 2008 at 6:24 pm | | Reply

i WISH i were going to the DRI meeting in NY – i will be at a wedding in SF that weekend! there will be so many great things there i know and i’ll be psyched to read about it from you and Amy! i’m going to be sure to pass on your sentiments about focus – for sure improving experience further will be key to expanding this market. thanks again for your thoughts and good luck at the triathelon!

3. James
    James September 19, 2008 at 3:45 pm | | Reply

I think the comment “people who aren’t yet ready to deal with its body image issues” really ought to be turned around. It’s not me who’s not ready to deal with it, the equipment needs to advance so that it doesn’t cause unacceptable body image issues in the first place. Right now the kit is ugly, obtrusive and a constant reminder to yourself and others of your diabetes. Personally, I don’t deny my diabetes, but I keep it in the background of my life. I’m a type 1 with a 6.0 A1C and for me so far that has been possible. Sticking one of the current gadgets onto myself turns that on its head – I’d much rather stick with finger pricks and in between them have a body unfettered by high-maintenance diabetes paraphernalia.

4. Cherise
    Cherise September 20, 2008 at 8:37 pm | | Reply

I am excited to here the news and I hope insurance companies stop thinking about the “almighty dollar”. I am excited and waiting for omnipod to offer the CGM. thank you for the info

5. Thomas
    Thomas September 23, 2008 at 5:54 pm | | Reply

We’ve come a long way since the Greek diagnosis of diabetes by urinating in a bowl – and if it attracted bees, being told “you’re going to die soon.”

Boiling glass syringes to sterilize them gave way to disposable plastic syringes, and the needles keep getting smaller. If they were this small when I first tried to give myself a shot as an 11 year old, I might actually have got some of the insulin under the skin.. :) We have items like the medijector (I list syringes as my only allergy on doctor’s forms.. :) and now various forms of insulin pumps available.

We went from $12/bottle beef and pork insulin (which is what the docs blame the hard skin layers on the top of my legs on) to $30/bottle rDNA insulin (Novalin/humalin) to $70/bottle (humalog/novalog)..

And the testing equipment follows suit. Now if this continuous monitoring can be made smaller, less intrusive, more real time, more accurate, and much less expensive so more diabetics can afford it, life will be much better.

Here’s hoping the next few generations of continuous monitoring are developed and released a bit faster.. :)

6. Ben Gubar
    Ben Gubar September 30, 2008 at 11:32 am | | Reply

Hi Kelly,
    I bought a CGM out of pocket about 6 months ago. I thought that I would have the peace of mind that I could check my trend while out and about, and know what needed to be done. The reality was a different story. I had quite a number of false lows, inaccurate readings and nighttime alarms that were way off base. Now please don’t get me wrong, I understand that CGM is truly in it’s infancy, and many adjustments and improvements need to be made.

This past September 18th, my brother was killed while sitting at a light on his motorcycle. He was hit from behind by a drive doing approximately 60 miles per hour. This driver didn’t even hit his brakes. When taken out of his car, the man didn’t even know that he had killed someone. It turns out that the dirver was in diabetic shock! Perhaps if he had a CGM, he would have known to pull over and treat it. If so, my borther would be alive today. Maybe not. The lesson here is that there is a need for a second gen CGM to be developed that is more reliable to prevent such needless tragedies such as my brother’s death.

Wish you well,