1. Kelly K
    Kelly K September 23, 2008 at 6:43 am | | Reply

Amy –
    Wonderful and detailed Post,and thanks for the “Shout out!”
    HFCS has made me angry since my CDE told me about it a few years ago. Now, thanks to Omnivore’s Dilemma,” the wonderful doc film “King Corn,” & pissed off bloggers across the globe, more and more people are hearing the call to arms. People are starting to question HFCS and refusing to buy products that contain it.
    “Natural” my ass! How natural is it for one acre of Yellow Dent # 2 (the type of corn that HFCS is made from) to yield over 10,000 bushels, which equal 57,000 cans of soda. Plus, it’s be fertilized with ammonia. Yeah, REAL natural! As consumers we have power, and now is the time for us to harness our power as a whole, and say ” No” to this crap!
    THANKS AGAIN!!!
    k2

2. Mitch
    Mitch September 23, 2008 at 8:51 am | | Reply

When I first saw this commercial I was slightly confused. Then the more I thought about it, the more I thought someone was trying to pull a con. Being diabetic like you, I’ve tried to watch out for HFCS ever since I saw the one Oprah show with Dr’s Oz and Roison talking about it and detailing just what it can do to your body. As you said, though, it’s in so many things that it’s hard to totally avoid. Still, seeing this commercial pop up out of the blue bothered me; kind of like if Marlboro was allowed to put the Marlboro Man back on TV.

3. Lili
    Lili September 23, 2008 at 11:50 am | | Reply

I wondered how dumb they think we are, too.

4. Scott
    Scott September 23, 2008 at 2:57 pm | | Reply

I think the question of just how dumb we are is more a matter of experience in the advertising business. With enough long-term messages like this, history has proven that people do actually start to believe it. But I can honestly say that spending $20 million to $30 million over 18-months is not sufficient to change opinions; brands are not built overnight, they require long-term investments over decades with consistent advertising. In the meantime, I’m glad people are discussing this, because for too long, this has been silently slipping into the average American’s diet, regardless of the health consequences. Perhaps the next step is to vote with our food dollars!!

5. tmana
    tmana September 23, 2008 at 3:09 pm | | Reply

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard nutrition giants such as Dr. Marion Nestle railing against HFCS as early as 2002… which means the issue was probably known much earlier, though most likely in publications considered to be of marginal value. I remember reading about the biological horrors of trans-fats (separate item, but also a dietary horror) as early as 1975 or so (before I even heard of Dr. Walter C. Willett or Dr. Nestle) — though I must admit, it was in either The National Enquirer or The Star! (I was a teenager.)

At this point in my life, I very rarely knowingly consume either HFCS or trans-fats (I don’t eat out much, and it’s pretty easy to read nutrition and ingredient labels). I believe this is part of the reason I’ve been able to keep my blood glucose and lipid levels in control with diet only, six years after diagnosis.

6. Steve
    Steve September 24, 2008 at 11:00 am | | Reply

One has to be careful about getting too excited about the difference between HFCS versus what we know as sugar (sucrose). Just substitute sugar in the ingredients in place of HFCS and it would still be as bad for diabetics as these foods containing similar amounts of HFCS. Remember “regular sugar” is 50% fructose and 50% glucose. If regular sugar was cheaper than HFCS, they would be adding it instead. The reason that regular sugar is more expensive is that the US sugar lobby has kept high tariffs on importing sugar. Diabetics and non-diabetics have to be equally concerned with needless addition of HFCS or regular sugar to processed foods.

7. MedLib Musings » As seen on TV
    MedLib Musings » As seen on TV September 25, 2008 at 9:34 pm |

[...] Well according to Diabetes Mine don’t believe it! [...]

8. Janet
    Janet September 26, 2008 at 11:59 am | | Reply

I have been searching the web in vain for a line graph showing the correlation between increased consumption of HFCS and the increase in Type 2 diabetes over the past few decades. Has anyone seen such a graph? It would help me make my case to friends and family to stop eating the stuff.

9. Marilyn Stucky
    Marilyn Stucky December 3, 2011 at 4:43 am | | Reply

Yes, I’ve wondered for a long time why I have gained so much weight. I am not a diabetic, but my husband is and I eat the so called sugar free foods along with my husband. He has gained too much weight too. All because of the HFCS.
    Get it off the market in everything. Thanks