1. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson September 9, 2008 at 7:48 am | | Reply

Wow – thanks for bringing Andrew and his blog to my attention!

Andrew seems to be so in tune with the phsychological aspects of living with diabetes. I also feel it has been largely ignored by far too many (expect those of us struggling with it!).

I’m going to head on over to his blog and read more!

2. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson September 9, 2008 at 8:38 am | | Reply

Hey Andrew – hoping you swing by to read this. I would love to comment on your blog, but the only option to do so is by using a wordpress account. Are you willing/able to open it up to more authentication methods than just wordpress? Thanks!

3. riva
    riva September 9, 2008 at 10:08 am | | Reply

I agree with you Andrew in almost all things. My own blog on my website, diabetesstories, also focuses on “thriving with diabetes” rather than “surviving with diabetes.”

My only exception to what you say is I don’t believe it’s willpower that motivates us, when you say, “Our strength of will allows us to keep promises when they’re inconvenient,” but rather finding and connecting to our purpose and to what is meaningful for us. From that comes a very strong and centered energy that takes us further, more easily, without even needing the strength one needs for willpower.

BTW, I do read DiabetesInControl, and truly appreciate all I learn.

4. CALpumper
    CALpumper September 9, 2008 at 11:33 am | | Reply

Thanks for sharing this with us Amy.

Very interesting to hear yet another story of a PWD and how they got where they are today.

The singles site looks awesome. Nov 14th? I already have to wait on pins and needles for the 4th, how am I gonna last until the 14th? The sooner the better!!!!! Like Andrew I have struggled in relationships. Too many boys like girls to be a certain way, do things a certain way. Add that I am T1 for over 23 yrs and VERY independent, oh boy do they run! ANY help would be GREAT!!!

It is much more difficult to stay on track when you are single. Friends and family can only do so much to help……and internal motivation and I, well, we don’t exactly get along.

And like Scott wrote, anything else besides a wordpress account to comment on your blog??

5. David
    David September 9, 2008 at 1:27 pm | | Reply

That would be so great to have a Diabetic Single Site! I would love to find someone who is in the same boat

6. Lauren
    Lauren September 9, 2008 at 5:40 pm | | Reply

Wow, I’m inspired by the grandma who lived to 93, 50 of those years with type 1!

I was also diagnosed at 26, after noticing blurred vision. I wonder how many diabetics have that as their first and most obvious sign that something’s wrong.

As for finding dates and even potential friends in the same boat, that is an interesting idea! I think every type 1 has wished for someone around to “get it.”

7. Beth
    Beth September 9, 2008 at 6:44 pm | | Reply

My own much-beloved grandmother was diagnosed at 44 with Type 1, given 15 years to live, and proceeded to live another complication-free 35 years. She grew up with the idea of the “no-carb starvation diet” as the only possible course of treatment, and so her idea of wild indulgence was to have a bite of someone else’s ice cream on major holidays.

I agree with Andrew’s assessment that the social/psychological impact is neglected — when my son was dx at 9, all I could find were chirpy books about how “shots aren’t too bad, and you can be anything you want to be!” Nice, but not entirely honest about the realities of life for people with diabetes.

Good luck with the singles site!

8. Andrew Young
    Andrew Young September 9, 2008 at 9:51 pm | | Reply

Scott, Great comments. Thanks so much for pointing out the issue with the WordPress registration. I am such a rookie-blogger I didn’t even realize the issue.

It’s fixed now. I would love to hear from you and anyone else.

Thank you!

9. Andrew Young
    Andrew Young September 9, 2008 at 10:03 pm | | Reply

Hi Riva,

Great point about tracking to our purpose to follow through on committments. I totally agree. It’s not as simpel as just gutting it out.

This article http://mindovermellitus.com/2008/09/03/transforming-your-worst-habit/ echos your insight and suggests that there are a number of factors we can put in our favor to help come through on what we aim to do.

Thanks for pointing that out.

10. Andrea Bradley
    Andrea Bradley September 10, 2008 at 7:33 am | | Reply

Great post! I’ve signed up to be kept informed of the upcoming launch for the dating site. Good Luck!

Andrea

11. Walter Adamson
    Walter Adamson September 18, 2008 at 6:24 pm | | Reply

Andrew, while often there’s a gap between what we know we need to do to handle diabetes, and what we actually do to take care of it, its often the other way around, there’s will but no skill.

This is especially in the newly diagnosed, of course. Once through the fear and denial there is often desire to know what to do which will be most effective. That’s where people like you are making a big difference and everyone including my own blog helps others by relating their own experiences, in my case coming back from T2 to near normal – but not without a period of denial and fear in the early years after diagnosis. After facing up it took me 5 years of effort.

The reward was in August when my doctor told me that he had never seen a case of trend reversal for 5 consecutive years “whatever you are doing keep on doing it”. The odd thing was that he then did not go on to ask me what I am doing !!

Walter Adamson
    Melbourne, Australia

12. Trusted.MD Network
    Trusted.MD Network September 19, 2008 at 12:18 pm |

The Plan For Next Week….

It seems pretty popular these days to have guest bloggers post while a blogger is on vacation. Amy did it, and I know another blogger who is doing it while she is on vacation.
    However, I am a lazy, lazy fool who can’t get her act together. So I’m n…

13. Craig Brandau
    Craig Brandau January 2, 2009 at 7:58 pm | | Reply

Andrew is a frick’n god!

14. Carol
    Carol February 19, 2009 at 10:43 pm | | Reply

I am a type 1 diabetic-

I’ve recently given up dating. It’s too difficult to make the decision when and if to let someone know I’m a diabetic. We are a unique bunch, who more times than not get a bad rap when we all deserve a badge of courage! To have a conscientious diabetic partner in my life would be the best. To find someone who understands and strives for the same requirements would be fantastic. Diet, exercise, schedules, supplies, insurances, doctors in itself is a full time job for one person. After this post I’m hoping to find that site! Thank You!