1. Jess George
    Jess George September 30, 2008 at 10:16 am | | Reply

Interesting column… I thought you made some good points. However, you should have read the Guardian column a little closer. 1938 was not the end of World War II; it was the beginning. What Neville Chamberlain did with the Munich Agreement is “infamous” because it was part of the policy of appeasement towards Hitler and Nazi Germany. Anyway, I enjoyed your column but being a history nerd I just wanted to clarify a few points!

2. tmana
    tmana September 30, 2008 at 11:27 am | | Reply

L’Shanah Tovah!
    And along with the apples and honey are the challah dipped in honey, and the carrot coins simmered in honey, and the honey cake, and all the other sweet treats…
    If you have not done so, check out both Jewish Friends With Diabetes and also the Jewish Diabetes Association. The JDA also offers for sale Nechama Cohen’s Enlitened Kosher Cooking; Nechama is T1 (most likely LADA) and had to practically reinvent kosher cooking to make it a bit healthier for living with diabetes. (Check the review and comments over on DiabeticConnect.)

3. Jess George
    Jess George September 30, 2008 at 12:21 pm | | Reply

Oh, so close! But you’re still misreading the original article. Chamberlain had just signed the Munich Agreement, giving Germany a large area of land in an attempt to appease them and avoid war. So he didn’t really stand up to anything, and the speech they are referring to is remembered ironically. The article is not saying that this event was a positive one (“infamous” is a negative word); it is urging people to stop repeating destructive cycles and to make real change (also a good lesson for people with diabetes!)

4. leigh1
    leigh1 September 30, 2008 at 3:52 pm | | Reply

Hello Amy, I just want to say, I am inspired by today’s column and feel a sense of renewal from having read it. Happy New Year!

5. Roger Curtis
    Roger Curtis September 30, 2008 at 7:46 pm | | Reply

L’Shana Tova.

Wishing a sweet and healthy year of goodness to you, your family and readers.

Roger Curtis
    Los Angeles
    Type 1 44 years and going strong!

6. Ashley
    Ashley September 30, 2008 at 8:26 pm | | Reply

L’shana tova!

Awesome analogy between Judaism and diabetes…I like anything that ties any part of my life to diabetes even if it’s a small part. And I’m so with you, I have no idea how to count the carbs in…pretty much any of the Jewfood. Heck I’m not even 100% sure what’s in some of it. The holidays I participate in usually hurt. :) But your post does inspire me, because of the connection. Thank you.

Ashley

7. baddecisionmaker
    baddecisionmaker September 30, 2008 at 9:17 pm | | Reply

I like using Rosh Hashannah and the days between now and Yom Kippur to reflect and renew on my diabetes stuff and I too think there are some good parallels. And I’m not usually super religious/ into the idea of sins, but I find it useful to think about sins including those I commit against my own body, and being able to repent/grieve, than forgive myself and let it go, with a renewed hope/drive to work on stuff. I certainly need it this year.

Shana Tova.

8. Bennet
    Bennet October 1, 2008 at 5:47 am | | Reply

Happy World Brithday Amy.

LY/MI

9. Melissa Katz
    Melissa Katz October 3, 2008 at 7:41 am | | Reply

Amy,

Happy New Year! I loved this post. I have never heard the “happy birthday to the world” theme before 5769 and I’m hearing it all the time now. Did Israel send a central briefing to all the Rabbis?

Question: do you post a column about fasting on Yom Kippur and diabetes?

Melissa

10. wellroundedtype2
    wellroundedtype2 October 5, 2008 at 11:11 pm | | Reply

L’Shana Tova, Amy.
    Thank you for all that you do. May you have a healthy, happy year.
    I blogged a little bit about Rosh Hashanah, too this year, for the first time. I definitely think about my diabetes when I’m surveying my own “progress” over the past year.