1. kkonmymind
    kkonmymind September 11, 2008 at 9:15 am | | Reply

I love hearing the updates about all the efforts going on around these issues. Thanks for this interview with Gina. More inspiration!

2. Lauren
    Lauren September 11, 2008 at 4:18 pm | | Reply

It’s ridiculous that we have to fight for this. Insurance companies need to cease being for-profit, otherwise this nonsense will never stop.

I finished a medical genetics section this week, and I have to say that more than ever I think type 1s should adopt if they want to be parents. I actually think everyone should adopt, because the planet is crowded enough, but type 1 is not something to gamble with.

3. Phil
    Phil September 11, 2008 at 10:27 pm | | Reply

Hold on Lauren-I’m a type 1 and I have a 30 year old daughter who is perfectly normal-no autoimmune diseases of any kind. She was conceived 10 years after I was diagnosed.

I also believe that the type 1 gene is recessive, so both parents need the gene for diabetes to result.

I’m sure your comment makes Gina feel real good.

4. Diabetic Diet Sample
    Diabetic Diet Sample September 12, 2008 at 1:06 am | | Reply

I just can’t believe how insurance companies convince you of all those benefits that you can enjoy but once that you have to face your reality there is something wrong with your diabetic condition or around it.

5. Stacey
    Stacey September 12, 2008 at 4:55 am | | Reply

It’s insanity that we have to fight so hard to get the insurance companies to cover technology that will help bring down A1C numbers!!
    It blows my mind that the insurance companies would rather pay for our complications down the road instead of paying for the preventative measures.

I’m currently fighting for coverage…I’m working on my second appeal and on the 23rd I’ll be at their offices in center city Philadelphia explaining, defending, my decision to use CGM and demanding coverage.

6. Slherron Foster
    Slherron Foster February 20, 2009 at 2:11 pm | | Reply

I have had the C GM by DexCom and love it. I had to pay for it & full price for sen sors and the price wen t from $240. to $275. My insurance is of no help. I am unemployedd.

7. Slherron Foster
    Slherron Foster February 20, 2009 at 2:13 pm | | Reply

I have a Dex Com CGM and my insurance pays nothing

8. anne
    anne February 21, 2009 at 2:18 pm | | Reply

HI, I have been diabetic all my life, it is called a birth defect because I was a premi. They told my mom I would not live to be 40, well I am 56 but I do have a lot of trouble with autoimmune disease, it is call Automonic dysfunction which includes 18 different diseases under that name. People the good news is how far we have come since the 50′s when diabetes was a death sentence!! Don’t expect your physcian or insurance company do everything for you, you have to continuesly work at doing things for your self. Make sure you keep your physcian informed at every visit even if you are repeating yourself from visit to visit make them hear you. Don’t count on your insurance company to “volunteer” anything make your self informed of every little thing about your diabetes and what they have to do and keep at them….this is not easy but it’s your life!!!!!

I am getting an OmiPod next month with u500 insulin in it. That U500 as apposed to U100 is scary but I am willing to work with it to save my life. I have become insulin resistant which means my body is rejecting the insulin I put into it, but if it keeps me alive and up and going I will use the U500. Stay up and don’t have any pity parties for yourself because you are all you have to depend on with this disease and it is NOT a death sentence.

So, now go out there and live don’t lay down and die, it’s up to you.

Anne