1. CALpumper
    CALpumper September 25, 2008 at 9:11 pm | | Reply

Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I’m dancin’! But in my living room….

And yeah, whatever, at least he signed it, there was so much worry he wouldn’t.

Woo hoo again!

2. Gene
    Gene September 26, 2008 at 3:03 am | | Reply

Wonderful. The lawyers are dancing in the streets, the employers are saddled with more costly regulation and the diabetics in the country are shouldered with more public misperception about how badly disabled they are.

When the government extends its protective arms around people, the net effect is never benign.

3. Elijah M
    Elijah M September 26, 2008 at 7:54 am | | Reply

Gene: don’t turn this into a treatise on the evils of big government. The unregulated utopia you seem to crave is alive and well, if you’re willing to look in the right places. It’s called the THIRD WORLD.

4. adam
    adam September 26, 2008 at 4:38 pm | | Reply

Thank you for bringnig this to my attention, Amy. Not sure what the implication is for an adult working with type 1 DM.

5. Jim
    Jim September 26, 2008 at 9:36 pm | | Reply

I’d also add that preventing another terrorist attack on US Soil since 9/11 should be at least one other good move history may recall.

But not to get political…

Good question adam. Amy can you help us understand what this may mean for working adults with type 1 DM? For example, would we be able to claim “points” on federal job applications for now being classified as having a disability? Not that I’m a gov’t employee but am very curious as I did a fellowship with the feds and know that is how their application process works. Points for various criteria etc.

Thanks! And thank you for your work and the site. It has been great to find and enjoy and learn from as a type 1 for 30 years. I appreciate your efforts in all areas.

6. Gene
    Gene September 27, 2008 at 1:22 pm | | Reply

Elijah: I’m just a realist, not a utopian. Until you’ve seen courts and administrative agencies in action enforcing these regulations, you have no idea of the price we pay for our measure of protection.

Moreover, this law adds more baggage than it removes. The worst thing for all diabetics is the truly distorted perception of others that we are incapable of functioning at their level without a helping hand. Sorry, not me.

Anyway, I have come to recognize that the large majority of those who frequent this site share the author’s leftward slant, (viz., “This will still likely stand as one of the few good moves that history will recall in association with this particular Administration” — puhleeze) and see no risk to liberty in strong government.

7. Cherise
    Cherise September 27, 2008 at 8:12 pm | | Reply

It’s about time he did something that doesn’t benefit him!!!

8. Rose Annerino
    Rose Annerino September 28, 2008 at 1:26 pm | | Reply

I’m glad he finally did something for the American welfare, I remember having disability social security, but when I should of had Medicade I was denied because it was ruled that my conditions would improve with treatment. Big joke to them I mean “what treatment?” I couldn’t afford any kind of treatment. It took7 years for me to qualify and of course I was much worse by than, so , I’m glad that he signed the darn thing so others wont have it hard to qualify for treatment for there condition.

9. Lee
    Lee September 28, 2008 at 2:05 pm | | Reply

I agree with Gene that I don’t feel disabled because of my diabetes and I too am aware of the tremendous increase in paper work busyness…I worked with handicapped oops physicallly chalenged children when ADA first became law. What a mess…it actually reduced the quality of treatment for these children and youth.

Still, I am optimistic and hope that under the new regulations employers would not find loopholes to avoid their responsibility in hiring the most qualified person for a position. Perhaps there wouldn’t be so many of us considered unemployable and therefor under insured.

10. Sherry
    Sherry September 30, 2008 at 8:32 am | | Reply

I also don’t feel disabled because of my diabetes. But, having lived with Type 1for 35 years without complications until a bout with retinopathy recently, I know how important this law is. I don’t know if, or when, my retinopathy might get worse – not to mention other complications that may be lurking. I appreciate knowing that I can fight discrimination in the workplace if I ever need to.

11. Lauren
    Lauren October 3, 2008 at 12:45 am | | Reply

Bush has a 22% approval rating and even the current Republican candidate is working hard to avoid all ties to the titular head of the GOP, so I hardly think Amy is unique in her feelings about the administration and its accomplishments, or staggering lack thereof. As both a T1 diabetic and a future physician, I believe our healthcare system is more broken than ever, after the past 7 and a half years.

I have mixed feelings about diabetes being considered a disability. But, it’s better to have the protections there than not.

12. Linda Fitzpatrick
    Linda Fitzpatrick December 11, 2008 at 8:57 am | | Reply

One of the implications of this new law is that more employers will get committed to what’s called the “interactive dialogue” with an employee who may have difficulty fufilling his job responsibilities. This dialogue or conversation will be to find ways to “accomodate” the employee (quotations because that’s a word with legal implications). For example if a person with diabetes needs to periodically eat something in order to maintain wellness…the job site should accomodate the person’s need. That employer would be smart to support the employee rather than to allow the employee to fail for lack of accomodation. Lawsuits in this arena are expected to soar in the coming year. I’ve written more about this in my new book A Practical Handbook on Disability Sensitivity: How To Be Gracious Without Walking on Eggshells.

Up until now, 98% of lawsuits related to disability discrimination have been dismissed according to experts at Jackson Lewis because disability has not been proven. The new law ADA Amendments Act is a remedy that will, as I mentioned, probably result in much more litigation in this area.

13. Rod Johnson
    Rod Johnson February 23, 2009 at 3:26 pm | | Reply

Interesting. It is good that he signed the law, but how will it really do for those with diabetes. I am sorry I am not caught up on it.

14. Javita Top Team
    Javita Top Team July 3, 2011 at 1:07 am |

Want to know more about Javita Coffee Company?…

[...]Want to know more about Javita Coffee Company? When you think new opportunity you think ‘new company’ or ‘high risk’, right? Well Javita Coffee Company has the foundations of an established successful company.http://javamlm.com/javita/about-javita