1. Scott
    Scott September 24, 2008 at 7:16 am | | Reply

This is one of the most frustrating aspects of this disease, as the odds are good that our partners will NEVER share this experience (even if they someday develop type 2 diabetes, for example, its just NOT the same disease). This really is a member’s only club, I’m afraid!

2. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson September 24, 2008 at 7:49 am | | Reply

Great post Amy.

Riva G. also recently posted about an experience between her and her husband that I found interesting.

I know that not being able to help in many ways does bother my wife terribly. I think it makes her feel very vulnerable and helpless, which, for “fixers”, is pure torture. I imagine this is also very much what parents experience when dealing with children living with diabetes.

3. CALpumper
    CALpumper September 24, 2008 at 8:23 am | | Reply

Amen Amy!
    “’m not really looking for him to provide a “fix,” which I know will just lead to frustration for both of us. All I really want is for someone to say, “it sucks, doesn’t it?” and give me a hug. And maybe be able to forgive how snippy I was acting just before dinner there.”

While I am single as a slice of cheese right now, in the past the above quote is ALL I wanted and needed.

Darn fixers.

Thanks for this post Amy.

4. Kathy
    Kathy September 24, 2008 at 8:41 am | | Reply

It’s tough…you want your spouse to know what you’re going through, but at the same time it’s like all the other give & take of marriage when you know they have their own issues, fears, etc. with this disease.

It’s a challenge for me as I met my husband later in life, when I had already managed the D alone for quite some time. He, on the other hand, had never seen a PWD close-up who wasn’t suffering horribly. So somewhere in between we’ve learned cues to my behavior at 35 or 350, and he gets it for the most part. But I still feel a twinge of guilt that the D affects anyone other than me, and no one more intimately than him.

5. LindaB
    LindaB September 25, 2008 at 5:25 pm | | Reply

I guess I’m lucky. My husband is diabetic also. He’s type 2 and I am type 1. He seems to always know whether I am high or low, sometimes before I realize it myself. he knows how it feels. he knows what its like to live this every day.
    Don’t get me wrong, we have our differences about lots of things , but, just knowing that your partner truly “gets it” is a blessing.

6. Phil
    Phil September 26, 2008 at 10:02 am | | Reply

My wife is remarkably adept at recognizing when my BS is low, often before I realize it. But you are right-unless you have been there you have no idea how miserable it can be.

7. adam
    adam September 26, 2008 at 4:43 pm | | Reply

Your man may or may not know that fluctuating blood sugars might be causing mood swings. But I’m sure you tell him when you’re upset with either him or with the children or with some situation. It’s imperative that you do.

By switching to Dr. Bernstein’s low-carbo. diet and exercise program for people with diabetes, I have managed to normalize my blood sugars, and to reduce the rate-of-change of blood sugar throughout the day. Mood swings are gone. Severe hypogycemic episodes are rare.

8. Grand Rounds Vol. 5 No. 2 « monash medical student

[...] Tenderich at “Diabetes Mine” reflects about peace-keeping attempts between life partners when diabetes is in the mix. Her reflections are prompted by birdie’s thoughts on a [...]

9. LiamM
    LiamM October 6, 2008 at 11:46 am | | Reply

This really resonates with me. I feel like because it’s touted to most people as a condition that there’s a treatment for and no obvious outward signs they write it off as being easy to deal with. But as we all know it’s quite the opposite. I’m finding it even harder lately because Myself being type 1 in my late 20′s am in the situation of having both my own condition to deal with and a wife who’s been going through the different but equally life changing ordeal of breast cancer. Talk about feeling bad when you have diabetes related mood issues :(

10. Tom smish
    Tom smish November 27, 2009 at 3:45 am | | Reply

I know that not being able to help in many ways does bother my wife terribly.