1. CALpumper
    CALpumper August 29, 2008 at 8:01 am | | Reply

Oh gosh. Been there with the not so informed Physician, an Assistant at that. After a year of seeing him though, I educated him pretty well in YDMV!! And in the end he really fought for me, really helped me with a serious problem. What looked like a “simple spider bite” that should “pop soon” with hot compresses and warm soaks, advice of an ER Doc, turned into a year long struggle with infections, fevers and worse. MRSA. Fun for me, add another to my list of diseases with No cure. Right.

So on the side note of those at the office (and well before this debacle with supposed spider bite, horrible periods) I would just bring in my heating pad, plug it in and do what I had to do! But at the time of the spider bite turned infection of disgusting proportions and curious eyes, I had to do Moist Compresses. Fun. Good thing the spider bit me during the summer. Dresses-are-us was the fashion trend in the office at the time (for me at least) and a little hike here and there, move the compress and try to relax (oh the bugger bit me on the back of my thigh, thanks). Either way, that was two years ago. I am left with a Huge scar and some instances of hives and sensitivity to the sun but no need for heavy antibiotics or prescriptions. Just keeping up with my already insistent hygiene. ;-)

Hope you fair well with the antibiotic and this is Not a move backwards in your insulin therapy. Keep us posted.

2. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson August 29, 2008 at 8:19 am | | Reply

Ouch is right Amy! Hope it heals quickly for you.

3. chris
    chris August 29, 2008 at 8:34 am | | Reply

Oh yeah…been there with the docs who don’t know what individual BG numbers mean. A couple of years ago I was at the optometrist and he asked for my last BG reading. When I told him it was 180 he got very concerned. Asked if my numbers were always that high. Wanted to know if my endocrinologist knew I had these high BG readings. I just sat there thinking what an idiot. I tried to explain to him about the whole pre-meal, post-meal difference.

Now whenever someone other than my endo or a CDE asks for my last BG I usually just say it was 110 or something like that. I mean, really, if you really wanted to know how my control was why not ask for my last a1c?

4. ralph berry
    ralph berry August 29, 2008 at 11:39 am | | Reply

Sorry for that. I have been taking two injections forever, each day and watching my diet closely allowing for a 6.6 a1c. I have been a type 1 for 56 years and think tight control can be reached without all of the technology that many diabetics are compelled to use. Not against technology but there gets to be a limit to all things good and bad.

5. tmana
    tmana August 29, 2008 at 12:25 pm | | Reply

Ouch. All around, ouch.

CALpumper, I feel for you: I’ve had insect-bite allergies since childhood. For the most part, I’ve not had them too badly since diagnosis… but my legs and ankles got really bitten up this past Saturday at the renaissance faire, and I’m finally able to get shoes back on my feet. Regarding blood glucose levels, most doctors ask for my latest A1C — but also, one’s blood glucose at the moment can have an affect upon the medical issue to-hand (or be a result of that medical issue)… so it’s not necessarily an irrelevant question.

6. Jules
    Jules August 29, 2008 at 12:35 pm | | Reply

Sorry about that Amy. I know you enjoy hot tubs but they really are a cesspool of bacteria. The chemicals used to try to keep the nasties in check are volatile organics that you inhale deeply into your lungs as the bubbles churn away. Try avoiding the hot tub for a while and see if it makes a difference. Perhaps there are natural hot springs in your neck of the woods that you can try. I immediately thought of the hot tub angle when I saw your infection. It happened to me except mine was a nasty case of mastitis caused by a hot tub.

7. LindaB
    LindaB August 29, 2008 at 2:41 pm | | Reply

hey amy!
    I know your tummy area is sensitive, is the rest of your skin that way? My stomach used to do that, with a lovely green ooze to boot, but, I found that if I moved my infusion site to a little bit thicker skin area I had less problems. I also sometimes had to go without the pump and do injections till I cleared up. Mu thigh was a good area and my arm too. I know its not the most fashionable place, but, It worked, In the end I educated a whole lot of curious people who wanted to know what I was wearing.

8. Phil
    Phil August 29, 2008 at 8:53 pm | | Reply

I always thought that if I had to go to a hospital the docs would kill me because they knew nothing about diabetes. All my friends thought I was crazy. Then I broke my ankle and need surgery. I insisted on local anesthesia so I could make sure no doc could kill me. In the middle of the night my blood sugar reached 300 and I was told I could not have insulin. Only after I insisted on seeing the patient advocate did they begrudgingly allow me insulin. And they asked me what the dosage should be. That morning I checked myself out of the hospital.

If I am ever told I need surgery I think I will do it myself at home because I will stand a better chance of surviving.

9. June S
    June S August 30, 2008 at 10:04 am | | Reply

Amy,

Wow! You have been through a lot. TOO much, in fact! I’m sure this is a really stupid question, but are you ULTRA careful to cleanse the skin with an alcohol swab, and make sure your hands are really clean before putting on a Pod? I, too, have very sensitive skin, so I feel for you. I do hope the infection will clear up SOON!

10. Dennis
    Dennis August 30, 2008 at 1:33 pm | | Reply

Well? By the Nubmers?
    This is a Good Warning on preparing you better for Problems like these in the future…

1. Not seeeing your PCP regulary and Keeping Him Informed and Up-to-date is One problem..your Mistake, not his. Even Sending Him Email or Fax Updates is better than Nothing.. They are ‘Part of your Team” and your the Coach and it’s your Job to keep them all updated..Inclulding but not limited to sending them Websites of your New equiptment…If not, actual print outs and Webiste addresses to find them..

2. Blaiming a PCP for Not knowing your specialty Disease is Just Flat out wrong of you..Ie: They are ‘General Practioners’.. expecting the to know your speical disease and all their Detials is asking a Pharmacist to fix your Car.. or do Heart Surgery..for you.. Lucky he just didn’t send you to the ER instead.. T1′s are Like Stepping On Eggs, very fragile people, rembmer we have alot Less going for us on Fighting Infections and other problems.. our Immune abilities are at least 25-50% less than Non D’s..

2. Calling and Going and seeing An Endo( your Endo) is the first choice, why? Simple , they are used to seeing pumpers and all their problems alot more so.. hence see them first.. if at all possible
    If your Endo is Not Available? Most have a back up on call.

3. If Endo not Available? See the PCP, (that you have been kept informed) and he would have probably given you a mild Med and Told you to go see your Endo for Follow up and 2nd opinion or Call Him while you were in his office..just in case.. on wether or not to continue using the Pump/infusion set or go to MDI for next 10 days..

4. Many ER’s are also set up for Sipder/Snake bites as well. called Anti-Venoms etc… if caught in time.. And they have Specialsit on call /staff as well..

And of course, keep your Endo/PCP updated on your progress and results.. Their Staff will just put it in your file/computer and ck on that at yor “every 4 mos” appointment.. that’s Min. for T1′s by the way..to be seeeing Endo’s and min. every 6 mos for PCP’s.. and always ask for copies of your Labs and bring them in for every appointment for each..
    Just in case they don’t have access to them..

11. June S
    June S August 31, 2008 at 5:49 am | | Reply

Amy,

You haven’t gotten back to us regarding the way Abbott handled your case after your skin blew up after using the Navigator. Did they propose any solutions? Since you’re out there in the public eye, one would think they might treat you with kid gloves!

Also – on a totally different subject – I note that Nick Jonas is now acting as a spokesperson for Bayer’s blood glucose meters. Has he stopped using the OmniPod? Perhaps he can just pretend to use something that he doesn’t need, so he can collect the $$$. This is America, after all!

12. Mike
    Mike August 31, 2008 at 12:29 pm | | Reply

I took the summer off the Omni Pod after just nine months on the pump. I was getting sick of the skin reactions from the adheasive. My A1c climbed from a 5.5 to a 5.7 off the pump. I am going to stay off unless I see a bad climb upward. Good Luck.

13. meg
    meg August 31, 2008 at 3:17 pm | | Reply

Maybe it is not a factor in causing the infusion site infection, but using the omni pod pump requires much more adhesive contacting your skin than does a pump with tubing. Also there’s the weight of the pod constantly pulling on your skin. Is there any data addressing adverse skin reactions using different types of pumps?

14. Fritz
    Fritz September 1, 2008 at 12:09 pm | | Reply

I usually take a shower and then clean my skin good with an alcohol swab before putting an Omnipod on. I had an infection once (not as bad as Amy’s though) and I’ve read that bacteria on the skin get pushed into your flesh by the needle and can cause an infection The needle of the Omnipod with the plastic Cannula over it, is almost 3 times thicker than a normal insulin injection and will push more bacteria into your skin so cleaning the infusion site is very important.
    I don’t want to change the topic but i wish that someone would tell Insulet that having diabetes does not make us stupid!! with all their annoying alarms that drives us crazy :) ) In 8 months using the Omnipod i had more than 30 replaced….2 this week…am i doing something wrong or does everyone have the same problems?

15. Beth
    Beth September 1, 2008 at 7:15 pm | | Reply

We’ve had to deal with two site infections on the kid — not fun. We went back to shots for two days while waiting for the anitbiotics to kick in, then made sure to use sites on his body far away from the infection. We try always to practice sterile pod changes, but let’s face it — they make a hole in your skin, and humans are covered in bacteria. It’s amazing they don’t happen more often. (This same kid had cellulitis from a hot tub 3 years before diagnosis, so I think he just has sensitive skin).

Once we realized that skin irritations and infections were going to be part of life on the pump, we found a great dermatologist who has really worked with us, so we go straight to her for any infections.

16. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell September 3, 2008 at 1:54 pm | | Reply

Ouch, ouch, ouch. That looks really sore. I’m glad to hear that it’s clearing up well.

Oh and good control! :-)

17. Acai Capsules
    Acai Capsules December 26, 2008 at 4:00 pm | | Reply

Amy, ouch is the right word! It looks really bad. Hopefully you got it cleared up well.

18. News Guy
    News Guy December 27, 2008 at 10:58 am | | Reply

what happened after your skin blew up? Did you get any kind of special treatment? I can understand why the title is ouch :(

19. Pure AC
    Pure AC January 6, 2009 at 2:00 am | | Reply

That looks incredibly sore Amy. How long did it stay inflamed? I hope it didnt get any worse

20. Kameron Hurley
    Kameron Hurley August 15, 2009 at 6:49 pm | | Reply

Thanks for posting about this back then. Just found this post after developing my own Omnipod site infection, which looks just slightly worse than the one you’ve pictured here. I’ve been cleaning and caring for it the last two days and hoping it would clear up, but it’s not.

Looks like it’s a trip to Urgency Care tomorrow for some proper antibiotics. Was really trying to avoid that… mainly because, as you note here, dealing with incompetent doctors of any sort when you have t1 is a real trial.

Grrr. Thanks.