1. CALpumper
    CALpumper August 1, 2008 at 7:02 am | | Reply

I always get the “you need to remove your cell” when they see the black or brown something hanging from my waistline (I use the clip type pump cases). And I always reply “It is not a cell, it is an insulin pump.”

Sometimes the reaction is simply a weird look, sometimes it is a simple “oh sorry.” Going through the DC airport I got about 6 sorries from the woman security guard. I kept telling her it was quite alright, it is ok, stop apologizing. But at the same time, it was kind of nice, ya know.

Ahhh the joy of growing up with Type 1 and first hiding it from “friends” at age 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 …… then dealing with coaches while trying to be apart of a sports team when you need to stop and eat during a practice. Totally made me lose my sense of joy about the whole thing. Then making jokes in high school about shooting up. Then just doing my thing in college and avoiding parties. All the while letting a boyfriend know the deal and hope their immaturity did not drive me nuts. Then always telling an employer Up Front and Center the deal. (never did me any good but I stuck with my beliefs every time)

Then dealing with a long relationship where (in my such luck) the guy thought he knew what was best, every time. Gets old really quick. I never had a bad reaction to telling anyone. It was the first time the beau saw me in low state that started the downfall of the relationship. And so far, it has not failed me either. Sad really. Hence why I am alone. Oh well. This is me, take it or leave it. Can’t handle it then get to walkin’. I don’t have time for games or unnecessary and stupid expectations.

Thanks for the insight and post Amy. Good stuff. Hope your vacation is going well!

2. Allison Blass
    Allison Blass August 1, 2008 at 2:22 pm | | Reply

Yes, I do pick and choose answers for two reasons. The first, as you said, to have nine bloggers answering six to ten questions each month would have people reading for hours! I tend to choose answers that 1) are either unique or detailed (a few bloggers have given one word or one sentence answers, so those tend to not be included unless they are pure gold) and 2) the bloggers often have very similar answers, so having two or three people saying basically the same message is just repetitive.

Most round tables – most anything actually – that is in print is edited to some degree. I try to leave the answers that I do pick completely alone. I don’t typically edit answers except for grammar.

Anyway, the “they” in your post is actually me and I think I have a pretty good understanding of what people with diabetes need to hear. :-) Thanks for including your “outtakes.” I think all the bloggers should do that.

3. June S.
    June S. August 1, 2008 at 3:00 pm | | Reply

Well, I’m about to take my first airplane flight with my MiniMed Paradigm 522 attached. (Last year I was using the OmniPod, and it was hidden.) I have a doctor’s prescription saying that I need to travel with “pump attached,” among other things.

I can relate to CALPUMPER in terms of being alone. Diabetes has turned off a few guys, despite the fact that I never had a hypo. reaction in front of them. They were just put off by the testing, testing, testing of BG’s. Now I’m wearing a CGM – maybe I should start looking for a guy again!

Amy, I’m so glad for you that you were diagnosed so late in life, and that your husband (obviously) is very supportive of your having the big “D”.

4. Beth
    Beth August 1, 2008 at 3:31 pm | | Reply

Regarding airport security: When returning from Canada last year we put my son’s backpack (crammed with d-supplies) set off an alarm on the security conveyor belt. The guard rummaged through bags of syringes and vials of insulin, then held up the offending object…..the can of Sprite we’d stashed in there in case of lows.

He confiscated the Sprite, then waved us through without another word.

5. OneNote
    OneNote August 3, 2008 at 3:28 pm | | Reply

I don’t have diabetes I am looking into the health care profession and was looking around to find out more about it, cuz I don’t know anything about it.

6. Carole Matthews
    Carole Matthews August 4, 2008 at 6:31 am | | Reply

Makes me a bit nervous that one person doesn’t have to stop the car on his road trip to administer insulin; however, it does sound like insulin pumps are the way to go. My 7 year old isn’t quite there yet, but he’s very much into “gadgets” so the OmniPod just might be enticing enough. Thanks for this blog. I hope to start one soon about my family, to include how we’re living with Type 1.

7. Phil
    Phil August 4, 2008 at 9:06 am | | Reply

I am using a pump now and have gone through airport security many times. The guards have never noticed it, but one time a guy in back of me told me I had to remove my “pager.” When I told him it was an insulin pump and wasn’t coming off he looked very embarrassed.

Way back, when I was using syringes I went to Europe. This was during the psychedelic era when young kids like me where automatically assumed to be drug smugglers. I had notes from Doctors. I was prepared. Not once did any security people say anything about my syringes.