1. Chris
    Chris August 4, 2008 at 8:32 am | | Reply

I love the information in your recent posts about exercise and nutrition. I am a Type 1 looking for information on weight loss. Everytime I try to do an internet search I get a ton of information on Type 2 and weight loss, but nothing specific to Type 1.

PS- Your contact me link doesn’t work.

2. M
    M August 4, 2008 at 9:02 am | | Reply

Hi Norae,
    How much daily protein is okay for a very athletic T1 with good cholesterol and kidneys? I drink a LOT of water to help compensate for the high protein intake, should I be fearful of too much protein?
    Thanks!

3. Glucoholic
    Glucoholic August 4, 2008 at 7:08 pm | | Reply

Norae,

Thank you so much for the information. It is so refreshing to hear a dietitian speak practically about nutrition for diabetics, and not hear some memorized mantra about balanced meals. Many medication-controlled type 2s such as myself have learned enough about our own bodies to know that following a food pyramid would be the quickest way straight to insulin shots.

I’m also very pleased to read your endorsement of lentils, black-eyed peas, black beans, and pinto beans. I’ve always been a very picky eater and struggle with finding things to consume other than meat. I’ve found that the legumes are the perfect solution for not raising blood glucose, but leaving me feeling more satisfied than usual.

Amy, thanks to you for seeking out and promoting such helpful information!

4. vicki
    vicki August 4, 2008 at 8:16 pm | | Reply

If your kidneys are healthy and you’re diabetic, you’ll do much better if you totally AVOID grains and grain products of any kind. If you doubt what I say, try this test: Eat a meal that includes one of those “healthy grains”. Check your BG before, then 1 and 2 hours afterwards. Be sure to weigh the items so you can duplicate the same meal without the “healthy grain”. Write everything down. You’ll see a huge difference in your postprandial BGs, with BGs afer the postprandial meal not including the whole grains being considerably lower. This should be enough to convince any diabetic that eating whole grains are NOT a good food for diabetics aiming for good control.

5. aaron
    aaron August 4, 2008 at 8:44 pm | | Reply

Generally speaking that after meal spike statistically speaking will is not a concern assuming you took the correct bolus to see the carbs consumed. The difference (not statistically significant) between say an A1C of 6.1-6.3 and 5.8-5.9 in the long run is minimal in terms of improving probabilities of avoiding complications in the long run.

The only difference is that the person with the lower A1c has a pretty draconian diet versus a fairly normal diet (eating out 1 or 2 times a week) for the slightly higher individual. In the end regular exercise along with accurate bolusing trumps radical diet restructuring in my book (23 years worth of T1 at this point both MDI & pump experience).

On another note a great suggestion after eating a meal is some form of moderate movement (such as cleaning up the kitchen or a short walk), a little bit of movement versus sitting on the sofa can be a great boost to helping control that spike while smoothing out the post dinner curve.

6. Norae Ferrara, RD
    Norae Ferrara, RD August 5, 2008 at 8:28 pm | | Reply

This is great. Thanks for all your questions and comments. Before I respond, I should say that there will be many questions I just can’t answer completely in this format, because for any medical professional to answer them completely and accurately, your medical history, medications and dosages, recent lab results, height, weight, etc. would need to be reviewed first. So these responses, and any article I write, are intended to provide general information, and DO NOT constitute a personal medical recommendation nor replace the advice of a trained medical professional (with whom each of you should be counseling on a regular basis).

I hope my perspective makes each of you think a little, and possibly bring some questions back to your dietitian, CDE, or endocrinologist.

That being said…

To M: For most people, with normal kidney function, .5 grams of protein for every pound of (desired) bodyweight is more than enough (even regular exercisers). For example, if you are 5’6″ and weigh 175 pounds, but want to weigh 150 pounds (which is in the healthy range), 75g protein/day would be more than enough. Athletes who train very hard (4-6 hours/day or more) may need up to 1g per pound. The body can’t use much more than that. However, and in the absence of kidney problems, it is not a big deal to eat too much protein. And since for most diabetics, things are tough enough–getting extra protein to fill the tummy can be a very good way to help control BG.

And since you mentioned you have good cholesterol, as a side note, when animal protein choices are lean (non-fat milk, or meats with minimal fat and cooked without oil), there is really no effect on cholesterol at all. If they are plant sources of protein (legumes, nuts, soy), the effect is actually to improve cholesterol.

7. D
    D August 8, 2008 at 5:31 pm | | Reply

Norae–Why do you advocate lean chicken? Is there something bad about chicken fat that you’re aware of? Same with butter? Why are vegetable oils better?

8. John
    John August 15, 2008 at 9:28 am | | Reply

Hi….

For me personally, the only way that I can control the aftermeal blood sugar spike to to eat an incredibly low carb diet.

Eating any type of bread or paste affects me for hours.

John

9. nonegiven
    nonegiven August 30, 2008 at 11:52 am | | Reply

When you eat carbs like rice, beans, potatoes, etc. your body makes saturated fat out of them for storage. In the absence of large amounts of carb, and therefore large amounts of insulin, saturated fat, like that in animal foods is good for you and raises your good cholesterol. Different types of saturated fat have different effects on LDL, some beneficial and some neutral, like increasing the particle size. Having your LDL cholesterol rise because of increased particle size is a good thing.
    Avoiding saturated fat has NOT been proven to be good for you and anyone who says it has is a liar. They have been trying to prove it for decades now and have failed.