1. Titos
    Titos July 7, 2008 at 8:38 am | | Reply

Not having insurance and a chronic (or any major) disease is a terrible predicament and for anybody living in Europe it is amazing that this problem cannot be rectified in the US for many years now. Providing a basic coverage to every resident (or at least citizen) of a country is the minimum one would expect in terms of societal solidarity. Try to fix the problem at the next election or move to Massachussetts

2. Scott
    Scott July 7, 2008 at 10:29 am | | Reply

A related concern, for those of us who are fortunate to have medical insurance, is what to do with our supplies when treatments change? My dr. switched me from Humalog to Novalog because of some low bg’s, so the Humalog sat unsed in my refrigerator until it expired. Since starting an insulin pump, boxes of pen needles and syringes sit in my closet unused.

I know there are people struggling to buy basic supplies, and I wish there were a way to legally “donate” these to someone who needs them more than I do. But I know my insurance company would object (the policy only covers ME, not others), and there are probably laws against transferring prescription items anyway.

What have people done in this type of situation?

3. Neal
    Neal July 7, 2008 at 11:26 am | | Reply

Any clues as to how much the reduction is on test strips with the TogetherRX. I use the TogetherRx for my Lantus and it knocks off about $20 dollars. I doubt the test strips price could beat what I pay from the internet i.e. 50 dollars cheaper than retail per box of 100.

4. LindaB
    LindaB July 7, 2008 at 1:20 pm | | Reply

whenever I go to my doc I ask for samples. I usually recieve about 4-6 vials of insulin from my endo when I do this. I had used One Touch test strips in the past but I now use CVS true track meter with their true track test strips and have cut my strip costs in half, I pay 51.00 for 100 test strips, where One touch is over 100.00 for the same amount. When I have a scrip change and have things I cannot use any more I will take them to mt doctors office and ask them to please give to someone who can use them. I just make sure that they are still in date.
    It never hurts to ask your physician for samples of meds. they have closets in some offices that are full of meds that the pharma co’s give to them to give to patients. When they prescribe an insulin change ask for a sample vial. If they are just trying something new why pay for a scrip taht may not work. Ask for a sample for thr trial period. Then fill it if it works.I have the Together RX I used it for One Touch strips and it knocked about 25.00 off. It was still more cost effective to go with the CVS system and strips.
    Everybody should ask for samples. It doesn’t hurt to ask and most of the time they have it just sitting in the back. Give it a try.

5. Patty
    Patty July 7, 2008 at 2:13 pm | | Reply

If you live in Orange County, CA, you should look into the MSI Program (known as either Medical Services for Indigents or Initiative, depending on if you get an updated pamphlet). I am currently unemployed and qualified after having knee surgery last year. Eligibility lasts 12 months and they are now covering more routine medical care, not just major operations. I’m able to get my insulin and thyroid medication for free. There is an income limit but isn’t per household. The web site is http://www.ochealthinfo.com/medical/msi/

6. LaurenK
    LaurenK July 7, 2008 at 10:53 pm | | Reply

The current solutions to the high cost of health care and supplies are like putting a band-aid over a gaping wound. We have to take a stand against the insurance companies’ stranglehold over every aspect of health care. It’s always in their interest to avoid paying for something, even when a denial means that people will suffer. I hope that with the change of presidential administration we’ll get some new thinking on this issue.

7. mollyjade
    mollyjade July 8, 2008 at 9:06 am | | Reply

It’s also worth mentioning to your doctor if you’re having a hard time paying for things. My doctor let me know that I qualify for free testing supplies and syringes, and I had already checked that PPA site with no luck. I’m still not sure why I qualify for this program, but the $2,000 a year savings is making a huge difference for me.

8. InsureBlog
    InsureBlog July 11, 2008 at 8:26 am |

Resource Update…

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE: Amy at DiabetesMine reports that there’s a new prescription drug program for folks without prescription coverage (and who aren’t eligible for MediCare). TogetherRxAccess is actually a service of nasty ol’ Big Pharma, which cont…

9. Paul Belyeu
    Paul Belyeu July 12, 2008 at 11:21 am | | Reply

Thank God , my diabetic pills are only $4.00. The test strips is what’s a killer, even at Wal-Mart they are $54.00 for fifty and when you test like you should, that runs into some money, however I did find a web site where you can get them for around $ 24.00 plus shipping. Like so many others I have no insurance either. If anyone is interested the web site is healthwarehouse.com. No I’m not advertising for them, It’s just when I can find a bargan, I’m willing to share the information. Saving any amout is great and I hope this helps some of you.

10. SALLY DARRELL
    SALLY DARRELL July 12, 2008 at 12:37 pm | | Reply

I have a perpay insuance.My husband still works.
    my co-pay is 410.00 monthly.
    I get $534 Social Security.
    We have a yearly income of $36,000
    Thank GOD for what we have.
    GOD BLESS every one.

11. Donna Carroll
    Donna Carroll July 12, 2008 at 2:15 pm | | Reply

Thank you for the information. Keep up the good work. I just joined this community, although I have had diabetes for 8 years. The last few years I have not taken care of myself as well as I should have. That has cost more in $ and quality of life. I feel more confident with the help of everyone in the community and the info that you all have provided.

Blessed Be.

12. Donna Carroll
    Donna Carroll July 12, 2008 at 2:17 pm | | Reply

Thank you for your information. Every little bit helps.

Blessed Be

13. caramia728
    caramia728 July 25, 2011 at 2:33 am | | Reply

Are you on Medicare? If so have physician write scrip for you. They pay for my strips. Hope this helps if you are.

14. Shelly
    Shelly July 25, 2011 at 12:14 pm | | Reply

I get my insulin and testing supplies at Walmart. Eli Lilly makes ReliOn exclusively for Walmart. ReliOn insulin is $24.88 a bottle. Their meter is only $8 and the strips are $36 for 100. I was looking at a cost of over $700/month before asking my doctor to switch all my prescriptions over to the ReliOn brands. Now I’m at only around $100/month. Still expensive, but a lot more reasonable and managable.