1. mollyjade
    mollyjade July 30, 2008 at 7:48 am | | Reply

I once had an endo tell me to eat a slow-release bar every night before bed because I was having trouble with overnight lows. Even as a teenager I couldn’t understand eating a nasty-tasting bar instead of real food.

1. Becky
      Becky November 10, 2013 at 6:22 pm | | Reply

I’m new to all this sugar/carb awareness and am interested if the Glucerna drink might be an aid to help me until I get more educated on what to eat and drink and when. Do you have any advise for newbies ?

2. Lili
    Lili July 30, 2008 at 9:59 am | | Reply

I used to use Glucerna, but didn’t like it that much. Now I use Boost Glucose Control. Still, I can’t imagine confusing either of them with a dessert substitute.

3. Fred
    Fred July 30, 2008 at 11:26 am | | Reply

I also get lots of e-mail from Glucerna and it goes straight to my junk mail. The words “For people with Diabetes” is misleading and they should take it off. Why would you drink a slow-release Glucerna shake with 27grams of carbs? It will not raise a low fast enough and with all that carbs raise your blood sugar levels over a longer time than what a fast acting insulin will work(meaning more than one injection to lower your blood sugar after drinking one of those).I think they just want a piece of the billions that we already pay to stay alive.

4. Wade
    Wade July 30, 2008 at 11:59 am | | Reply

I used Glucerna when I had my wisdom teeth extracted. Was an easy way to consume calories on a liquid diet, and it doesn’t spike the blood sugar like the other ones do. It tastes like crap though, and I was happy to return to solid foods and throw my remaining supply in the trash.

5. Landileigh
    Landileigh July 30, 2008 at 12:06 pm | | Reply

I have been on Glucerna twice per doctors orders on a 6 time a day regimen. 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, 10pm.

After Diagnosis:
    1. To find my median
    2. To control blood sugars
    3. It is used for diabetics with gastroparesis

After my cholecystectomy:
    1. To help people who have acute/chronic pancreatitis keep theirs calm while transitiioning from no food to food
    2. It is EXTREMELY digestible and the least irritating to your pancreas
    3. Because of the low low sugar, it doesn’t engage the liver as much, which helps calm it for excess glucagon secretion.

6. Glucoholic
    Glucoholic July 30, 2008 at 7:12 pm | | Reply

I use Glucerna shakes or Atkins shakes for breakfast almost every day. Being type 2 and not having time to prepare a proper type 2 breakfast begs for solutions like these. I’ve always really appreciated their utility, and find that they have very predictable impact on morning blood glucose.

7. gina
    gina July 31, 2008 at 8:12 am | | Reply

Im sure people use Glucerna as a shake or dessert choice because it can be pretty good if you add strawberry to it or some kind of fruit.
    The only flavor I actually like IS strawberry. It is a bit pastey tasting.

I have used it in mornings for breakfast because I really hate eating in the morning, the best part of glucerna is you can make it at night put it in a drink container in the fridge and the next day it will be really chilled and easy for on the go travel, It stabelizes your blood sugars pretty good, I travel to the city to work on two trains I dont want to be plummetting and passing out in the middle of a crowded subway in NYC so for me glucerna is a good meal replacement. Actually you can use glucerna before working out as well to keep your blood sugar from dropping too.

I have heard people using it to gain weight, my aunt also uses it the same way as landileigh because she had a kidney transplant. It is easier for some people to digest glucerna rather than eating food.

As far as the chart above, I am not sure comparing them is relevant.
    Glucerna does not have as much sugar as those others and is
    slower to digest which is why many people use it to get in better control of their diabetes management.

Of course we all would rather have those foods for dessert and if i want a reese peanut butter cup I am going to eat it. For a quick sugar fix lol

Why the heck would i want to choose glucerna lol But, if you are on a strict diet and trying to control your Blood sugars if glucerna works for you why not?

8. Runehawk
    Runehawk July 31, 2008 at 8:54 am | | Reply

Wait a minute – what’s all this about T1′s needing to *gain* weight? (I’m wrestling with exactly the opposite problem – I want to *lose* weight, but I’m swimming upstream against my insulin!) -r

9. Norae Ferrara, RD
    Norae Ferrara, RD August 2, 2008 at 8:20 pm | | Reply

You are right Gina, for diabetics, Glucerna makes a lot more sense as a dessert option because it is so much lower in sugar. The Glucerna question was posed by a non-diabetic, and when someone (non diabetic) is looking for a sweet chocolaty dessert, in practice I recommend a small piece of the real thing! So that’s what the chart is good for. :)

And Runehawk- I feel you! Most of my patients, no matter what chronic condition they are dealing with, are struggling to lose weight. It isn’t easy… My most successful clients go through a lot to get the weight off–more frequent BG checks as we reduce calories, more exercise, and constant adjusments in insulin to match it. It is not recommend that you try it on your own. Hopefully your doctor has a CDE for you to work with. And as far as for those who need to gain weight–what I know is it is very rare, but when a diabetic does need to gain weight, 4 out of 5 of them will be type 1. :)

10. rose gillet
    rose gillet October 29, 2008 at 4:35 pm | | Reply

I have some Vanilla Glucerna 8 oz. cans and it says it has 140 calories not the 200 you have — carbs are 19 and you show 27 — sugar 5 and you have 6. I don’t understand. I think these are too sweet and told the Company that and they kind of laughed.. I put cinnamon in mine though as I heard that Cinnamon is suppose to help with blood sugar control..

11. Jake
    Jake January 12, 2009 at 1:29 am | | Reply

why is this being analyzed as a weight loss issue?? glucerna is intended to help control blood sugar levels …. and it does that quite well.
    if you are to lazy to manage your own diet, then shut up and monitor you own lazy eating habits

12. cathy
    cathy January 19, 2009 at 9:17 am | | Reply

rose gillet: the 8 oz cans are snack shakes. i believe the chart is referring to the 8 oz bottles that are meal replacement shakes. they are the same fl ounces but the meal replacement shakes have more calories (the 200 listed in the cart, sugar, etc.) and are intended to be consumed in replacement for a meal, rather than the can which is intended for between meals. i agree it can get confusing :)

13. ella
    ella March 21, 2009 at 9:05 pm | | Reply

i am confused with all of this.. so answer me this.. is Glucerna a good product to use to 1. help lose weight, and 2. to help someone with metabolic syndrom lose weight when used as a meal replacement?

1. JacquelynJones
      JacquelynJones May 31, 2012 at 3:10 pm | | Reply

Ihave not lost a single pound with these shakes,just use as a breakfast alternative to solid foods.

14. Stanley Anderson
    Stanley Anderson June 13, 2009 at 5:54 am | | Reply

What is the different between a can of Glucerna, and a can of Glucerna 1.2 beside there is more nutritional value with the 1.2 Glucerna for a person who is tube feeded. If a person change from Glucerna which have been authorized by a physician to glucerna 1.2 would there be a stomach problem? My wife gets sick often I am trying to track down the problem so we can explain it to the doctor. Its may not have any thing to do with with my wife problems I am pulling straws to see if I can come up with something. Thank you for any assistance you may offer.

15. DS
    DS August 16, 2009 at 8:15 am | | Reply

I don’t think we can get this Glucerna over here. I think ill just stick to eating chocolate to help my sugar levels up. It doesnt seem to do me any harm as long as i exercise regularly.

16. john j
    john j June 28, 2010 at 7:31 am | | Reply

I have another 10 pounds to lose so if your a diabetic and need to lose weight whatqa good drink in place of Glucerna

1. JackieJ
      JackieJ January 16, 2012 at 12:41 pm | | Reply

Hi All!

I discovered that Russel Stovall cany has a diabetic kind that you can find at Dollar General stores for $1.65 per bag with 6-8 piececin them and they taste great plus the Co-Co-Cola company has a new Diet Coke with splender added in it. My doctor hooked me up with the soda and I hate diet soda , but if you let it get real chilled then drink it, it taste pretty good.

After a week you will glady go to the store for them.I have tried ever diet drink there is but this taste is best with splender. I do not care for splender but in this case it is great. My weakness are sweets also so I know how an addiction feels.

Jackie J

17. Jackie Jones
    Jackie Jones April 19, 2011 at 7:25 pm | | Reply

Hi Everyone ! By some of the comments I’m guessing that boost with glucose is okay. I love glucerna but on my budget cannot afford but maybe a 6 pk a month. Looking at some of the ingrediants on back of the pack. Cards are kind of high and sugar also.

So I’m kind of scared to buy it because I’m type 2 but syill have to take the shot plus melformin. Any advice more?
    Thanks,
    JJones

18. Susan Helper
    Susan Helper October 14, 2011 at 11:33 pm | | Reply

Seems expensive and lots of calories and sugar. I’m type 2 diabetic and this added more weight. Stopped after two weeks. Sugars rose when I drank it. Now back to high 80′s or low 90′s AC1 went from 6.7 back to 5.4. Won’t drink again.

19. Bill
    Bill January 16, 2012 at 10:46 am | | Reply

It is great to see some quality input versus relying on the manufactures non-informative labels and web site. Thanks to everyone and Ms. Norae Ferrara for great insight.

Bill

20. alma
    alma February 4, 2012 at 8:55 am | | Reply

Does glucerna drinks raise low blood sugars and does it lower high blood sugars? I’s confused!

1. JacquelynJones
      JacquelynJones May 31, 2012 at 3:12 pm | | Reply

It can do both requirements of checking all that is eaten in between regular meals.

21. Elaine Sievers
    Elaine Sievers April 13, 2012 at 9:36 pm | | Reply

This is my first time using Glucerna. The reason I am trying it is because, my blood sugar level drops in the morning when I am doing my work and I start to shake. I am hoping that this will help it to stay level until lunch. Does anyone know if this will help?

22. Rachel
    Rachel May 31, 2012 at 12:30 pm | | Reply

I think these might be new but I love the Glucerna hungersmart shakes! I’m not a diabetic but I have a gluten sensitivity and these are not only gluten-free, but 180 calories for an 11.5 oz bottle, have 15g of protein, 16g of carbs, and 5g of fiber. I drink them for breakfast every day and sometimes for lunch, too. They are a great alternative to the Special K and Slimfast shakes because it’s not LOADED with sugar, which isn’t good for even non-diabetics. These shakes keep me full for atleast 4-6 hours. Can’t beat it for 180 calories! Anyway, like I said, I’m not a diabetic and obviously diabetics shouldn’t just use these as meal replacements.. I think these shakes are meant for snacks and such being that they don’t have a whole lot of calories.

1. Billy G
      Billy G June 24, 2012 at 7:36 am | | Reply

I’m considering Glucerna for reasons similar to yours. I want to lose weight but am a compulsive eater. I’m not a diabetic but I’m frequently hungry and I eat too much and too often in response. I thought Glucerna might act as an appetite satisfier, and send me looking for food less frequently. What has been your experience?

23. ANNOITED
    ANNOITED September 5, 2012 at 5:12 pm | | Reply

I CAN RELATE TO BILLY THTS WHY IM TRYIN IT CAUSE MY BLOODPRESSURE IS HIGH AND THEY JUST PUT ME ON MEDS AND DOC TOLD ME TO LOSE WEIGHT AND WATCH MY SALT AND CAFFINE INTAKE MY DOWN FALL IS SWEETS AND NOT EATING IN THE AM HE SAID IF I DROP SOME POUNDS I CAN GET OFF THE MEDS IM REALLY TRYING BUT I CANT EAT RIGHT WORKING 12/10PM SO IAM GONNA TRY THE SHAKE FOR BREAKFAST HOPEFULLY IT WORKS AND WHEN I AM ON THE GO !!! WILL KEEP ME POSTED……

24. Jaycee G
    Jaycee G October 28, 2012 at 8:19 pm | | Reply

My Finacee is new to diabetes and I was in CVS waiting for my hair appt to start across town so I thought hey why not do a little shopping before and I stumbled upon this shake and it prevents sguar spikes it said and I know he is really depressed with having to “stick” him self all day everyday. He says it gets old. I work in a hospital so I know that insulne ultimally breaks down your system to where you are depented on it. He does not like that idea at all so he is trying many different things to help not take as much insulne which in encourage. He drank his first one today. Did not like the taste so well but I can report that he did not have to take his insulne (except his night time one) all day long. So this future wife (and husband) is especially happy with this product.

25. Brenda Liles
    Brenda Liles January 17, 2013 at 8:12 am | | Reply

I have Chronic Pancreatitis & live w/a very special diet but Glucerna shakes calm the nauseous times throughout the day. I am also Type 2 & have recently lost 51 lbs & exercise on a daily basis. My problem is wanting too feel better, not tired & sick all the time.

26. Brenda Liles
    Brenda Liles January 17, 2013 at 8:15 am | | Reply

My pancreatitis is caused from a gall bladder removed 40 yrs ago & some gall stones were left behind.

27. SteelBear
    SteelBear March 7, 2013 at 6:57 pm | | Reply

I was 400# and my DM was getting worse. I had a Gastric Bypas (the duadenal Switch) and now my doctor has taken me off of the DM meds due to my BS dropping too low on the meds. Adverse effect of this surgery is I don;t process sugar and thus if I eat lots of sugar then I have no friends (LOL). I have found that among the options glucerna has less sugar than most and tastes pretty good in comparison to many other alternatives. As far as those Sugar Free treats. LOOK very closely at the amount of sugar alcohol and realize that sugar alcohol in large doses (varying with each person) can cause severe diarrhea and cramping. Some of the ingredients that make up sugar alcohol (such as the -loses) are important to take note of and do research on. With that said I am always on the lookout for a tasty low sugar treat so feel free to make suggestions.

28. Tina Harrison
    Tina Harrison May 30, 2013 at 9:31 am | | Reply

I began drinking these before Tuesday night archery league and have seen an improvement in my score. Normally, I begin to get weak and my left arm shakes after the third or fourth round now I make it through the entire night without running to the cookie jar at the range.

29. Dave
    Dave February 21, 2014 at 8:45 am | | Reply

Im a Bernstein follower. I think you’d have to be crazy to eat something like this. It should be simple to drink this thing and cover it with insulin and see what happens, I can only guess that it would go sky high. So why drink it?

30. William Cheong
    William Cheong May 5, 2014 at 3:30 am | | Reply

I am a pre-diabetic meaning that I am within the border of the dangerous zone. Is it advisable to take Glucerna milk to help prevent becoming a diabetic later or is there other type of milk which is more suitable for my case which must be very common among the world population because diabetics are developed from pre-diabetics.

31. William Cheong
    William Cheong May 5, 2014 at 3:47 am | | Reply

Another question I wish to ask is that for people with IBS problem (irritable bowel symptom) who is found to be intolerable to most of the normal milk, is Glucerna suitable for him?

32. marg
    marg May 15, 2014 at 6:48 am | | Reply

Hi I have to have a low salt diet is and have been trying to find out what amount glucerna contains. I would appreciate your help. Thanks Marg.

33. Kerry Le Blanc
    Kerry Le Blanc May 15, 2014 at 7:20 pm | | Reply

Probably not, one thing is does is lower your ac1l, in other words your glucose level, which if it’s to low can potentially put you into a hypoglycemic state, your brain gets its energy to function and to repair from glucose

34. kim
    kim August 30, 2014 at 10:46 am | | Reply

A lot of carbs. I’d try it as I need to gain weight but wonder if there is better out there.

35. Terry
    Terry September 21, 2014 at 11:59 am | | Reply

I have had to use Glucerna for the last four years. I HATE the stuff but I guess it beats starvation. But not by much! The only tolerable flavor is strawberry and that better be almost frozen. I still use a straw to get the mess down. A lousy dentist pulled all my upper teeth, neglecting to tell me I didn’t have the “right” shaped mouth for dentures. They simply fall out of my mouth even with ‘gripper glue’ like Fixodent. I was a very young looking 50 yr old, now I look 70 with a sunken face; one side of my face has a large indentation – looks like I got WHACKED with a bone-crunching cue ball. So, no biting foods for me just soft stuff (translation: high carb foods) or Glucerna. I have gained 20 lbs on the stuff, and have gotten to where I simply forget to “eat.” I see a pump now but it’s too late. The neuropathy in my feet and lower legs is horrid, the liver colored blotches on my ankles are so ugly AND painful. Doctors in Alaska are good for two things: taking your money and writing scripts. Moving 6000 miles to the Lower 48 might be the best thing but I cannot afford that. So looks like I will keep fighting high glucose levels, bad doctors and dentists and hope heart attack #3 won’t leave me a vegetable. I tell people all the time Don’t ignore Type 3 and don’t let incompetent doc’s tell you it isn’t a big deal. It IS … eventually.

36. kay
    kay September 26, 2014 at 9:23 pm | | Reply

I’m really baffled how people are gaining all this weight while drinking these. I mean by the simple math of it all…how the heck are people porking up like this on 200 calorie meals?

I’m pretty sure it’s not even physically possible to gain weight while using Glucernas….unless you’re guzzling down like, a dozen a day, or consuming ‘snacks’ worth a few thousand calories in between meals…in which case maybe it would be best to just own up to the fact you have an eating problem rather than blaming it on the shake that’s making up only a small a fraction of the calories you eat.

I started using them after having surgery to get my wisdom teeth out and never stopped. I drink one for breakfast, freeze another at night and eat it like ice cream to kick my chocolate cravings. They taste pretty good, they keep my sugar from spiking, I get plenty of vitamins, and I’m not really sure what else a person can ask from a simple 8 oz protein shake.