1. CALpumper
    CALpumper July 29, 2008 at 7:48 am | | Reply

Thanks for the first guest post! Love it!

Oh I so agree, one of the worst crimes of this disease, lost moments.
    I could never add up the lows. It would bring on a low, no doubt. ha ha.

But I do know of two lows that brought the paramedics. Three lows that I simply don’t recall but I SO remember waking up trying to figure out how I got where I was. I do know of a couple highs that made me sick but I did not have to go to the hospital. Over 23 years and I can account for those. Not bad I say, not bad. No major “diabetes related” complications either. General health could be better and I wish upon all the stars that some of my genes were different but….

They do say tight control brings on the lows. Oh how I know. Oh how I hate. I tell people that for me, I would rather be High than Low any day. Any day! Lows scare me. My biggest fear is passing out. It has been over 2o years since I have but somehow it is still my biggest fear. They just plain scare me.

Thanks again for the insight, well written and funny post about the lost moments of PWDs. Lost Moments, sounds like a book or movie title. ;-)

2. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson July 29, 2008 at 2:37 pm | | Reply

Awesome Amy!

Jim – I’m a big fan! I love the dLife “internal dialogue” video piece. Thanks for sharing a bit more of yourself with us through Amy’s guest posts!

3. Health Nut Jake
    Health Nut Jake July 30, 2008 at 6:52 am | | Reply

Great post. My roommate is diabetic and he has a tough time enjoying the activities we take for granted.

4. Reed
    Reed July 31, 2008 at 8:29 am | | Reply

Jim – congrats on your excellent control and few complications. Hey one thought about your lows … I experienced the same lows for three decades and felt the same way – missing moments & waiting 10-15 minutes to get my mojo back. And my A1Cs showed it, too … a pulled a 4.9 and my endo said it was too low! All of this changed when I went on a pump two years ago (43 years into diabetes!) I was using multiple injections (sometimes 8/9 per day) to cover what I now know to be basal insulin. I no longer have 10-12 bad lows per week and my A1Cs have come up, too. Thanks for sharing your story. –Reed

5. Dallee
    Dallee August 2, 2008 at 10:11 am | | Reply

Dear Jim – If you adopt a low carb diet, your lows are almost sure to vanish — but do remember to adjust insulin downward because you won’t need to “cover” so many carbs. It’s a pretty simple and logical principle: keeping carbs pretty steady reduces the going high and then having a rebound toward the low side. The system is set out in Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution book. I have no connection with the book except that I have followed his program as a T2, lost 50 pounds and had my doctor be delighted — as well as maintained normal BG readings for the last year while taking only metformin.
    If you have finger contracturers, finger splints will help very quickly and they are incredibly cheap.
    Best wishes!

6. Phil
    Phil August 4, 2008 at 8:47 am | | Reply

I know exactly what you mean. Its like you are in the Twilight Zone. The worst part, excluding when you pass out, is when it happens at work. You are not making any sense and people look at you like you are crazy. If it is a bad one and you need assistance, you feel so embarrassed when you finally come out of it. And since so have consumed so many carbs to bring your blood sugar back up, your blood sugar sky rockets. Then you take more insulin to bring your blood sugar down and if you take too much, your blood sugar gets too low again. I call it the merry-go-round.

7. Beast of burden
    Beast of burden August 5, 2008 at 1:28 pm | | Reply

I think your complications are related to each other and not the diabetes, but I’m not funny like you :)

Great article!