1. Melissa Katz
    Melissa Katz July 1, 2008 at 8:26 am | | Reply

Hi Amy,

Love the post about CGM. Very interesting stuff!

Have you heard the latest from Animas? FDA Cleared OneTouch(R)Ping(TM) glucose management system. More info on the website http://www.animascorp.com/ViewAnnouncements.aspx?ID=85

Keep on blogging, we’ll keep reading!

All the best,
    Melissa

2. CALpumper
    CALpumper July 1, 2008 at 9:01 am | | Reply

Great post Amy!!!
    Thanks for the insight and POVs of someone who has been at the forefront of this technology.

My main point is simply this:
    “It angers me that a company would tell someone that something is not medically necessary. They are not in the medical field and I highly doubt they have any health issue remotely close to being chronic. Who are they to say what someone needs?? Who are they to deem what is medically necessary for a person??

How about the person with the chronic illness, along with their doctor (medical team in some cases), make that decision? Where are Our choices?”

Guess it’s not so simple…

3. Windy
    Windy July 1, 2008 at 11:13 am | | Reply

Appreciate your honesty Amy! I’m one of those T1 D’s with the hypo unawareness and it’s created some pretty scary circumstances involving 911 calls and such…. I’m confident this technology is a new step in tighter control and over the next couple years it will be integrated into pumps and widely accepted….. but the sooner the better for us who suffer from hypo-unawareness!!

Have a great day!

4. Kevin D
    Kevin D July 1, 2008 at 1:36 pm | | Reply

Amy,

My issue is as you have mentioned. The devices are not perfect for everyone and I’d hate to start seeing insurance rates increase for patients to get them and just waste money on an item that doesn’t work for them.

There’s also the fact that if they can be handed out like candy that some will get them that shouldn’t deserve them. In my opinion, if one is willing to fight a little to get a device, then they have the knowledge and patience to use it. Just think of what could happen if someone uses the device and doesn’t follow the directions to test before giving insulin? Say the device shows them at 200 and they correct. But in reality they are 120. This could create a car accident or other catastrophy.

The last issue I look at is when BG meters came out it took over 15 years for those to be widely accepted. When pumps came out I’d say around 10 years to be widely accepted. Now, we have CGM and people want it now. Is this just marketing push of the companies? Push of doctor’s offices? Why all the sudden a rapid change in want for a medical device? Let’s give the device time to be proven useful and reliable so insurance companies can see a need for one.

5. June S.
    June S. July 1, 2008 at 7:39 pm | | Reply

Amy,

I am wearing CGMS, and because I live ALONE and have a major (rational) phobia about nocturnal awareness, I really benefit from these sensors. They allow me to fall asleep at night. I’ve had diabetes for 36 years this month, and for most of them (excepting the first 10 years, when I had TOTAL hypoglycemia awareness, I have set my alarm for the middle of the night, or drank a glass of water (so I’d have to wake up to use the bathroom) or taken too big a snack at bedtime, out of a great fear of nocturnal hypoglycemia.
    I also suffer from daytime hypoglycemia awareness. When I was first diagnosed my hands used to shake when my BG hit 75; now they don’t shake at all. I usually just start crying when my BG’s get to 60. CGMS works for me!!!!

June

6. Jef
    Jef July 1, 2008 at 10:34 pm | | Reply

I just have serious problems with the insurance companies telling me what is best for me. When my doctor, CDE, and I all can agree that I would be a good candidate for a CGMS, that should be enough for the insurance company; regardless if I use it 24×7 or just a few times per month. The insurance companies are paid by people like me and the companies we work for. It would be nice if these same insurance companies would work for their customers, IE people like me.

I *am* willing to pay out of pocket, but I don’t want to set a precedent and ruin it for everyone else. I WILL fight (and am fighting) to get BCBS to cover a CGMS for me and the rest of you.

7. Patty
    Patty July 2, 2008 at 5:50 pm | | Reply

Can we now have a day to raise awareness of the ridiculously high price of test strips?

8. Al
    Al July 3, 2008 at 9:01 am | | Reply

I have to say I agree with Kevin D. I fought with our insurance company to approve the CGMS for our 20-yr old son. After a few months, we finally got it approved. He went on the CGM a few weeks (3 sensors ago) and he is already fed up with it and is taking a break. At this point for me, I would say the CGM is valuable for parents with young T1 kids that just do what their parents says and for adult diabetics that have a routine and are willing to take the time to work with the monitor and data. I would say older teens and young adults are not good canidates for the CGM. As I have discovered, it takes a lot of work and attention to get value out of a CGM. It can be frustrating for a young adult.

9. Gina
    Gina July 3, 2008 at 9:42 pm | | Reply

All of you have valid points. I do think that people that really want a CGMS are the ones that are willing to work. Such as people like me. I also understand that this isnt top notch yet. But niether was any other device when it first came out. Blood machines, pumps and now CGMS.

Kevin Stated: “Why all the sudden a rapid change in want for a medical device? Let’s give the device time to be proven useful and reliable so insurance companies can see a need for one.”

The data that this provides is helping so many people. It is giving people the chance to sleep, drive a car and sit in a classroom, without worry of low blood sugars. It may not be perfect but it has been proven to work. I have been wearing a pump for the last 7 years and it still gives me problems time to time, no piece of machinery is perfect. There is always room for improvement.

I have been struggling with high/low blood sugars for the past 6 years and I need this data. I need my levels to be in normal range. I want to be a mother one day and my levels just are too high from low blood sugar rebounds. If this is going to help me get in better control I will fight. Its not for everyone just the way the pump isnt for everyone. We all have our opinions.

10. The Diabetes Talkfest Blog » Blog Archive » Update on CGMS Day: They’re Listening!

[...] Yesterday I sent out a press release about CGMS Denial Day to prweb.com, and some other media contacts. Within the hour of sending I got a call from Diabetes Health Magazine that they wanted to do a story. I was very happy about this because I was not sure if any media would cover this event. Diabetes Self Management covered it in there section What We’re Reading. Amy Tenderich of Diabetesmine.com did a story called Paying for CGMS day. [...]

11. LaurenK
    LaurenK July 6, 2008 at 9:33 pm | | Reply

It’s immoral that insurance companies can deny this sort of thing. The whole problem is that they are for-profit, so it’s always in their interest to NOT pay for treatments. I am constantly amazed that there isn’t more outrage about the stranglehold that the insurance industry has on health care. If a doctor says it’s necessary, it should be illegal for the insurance company to deny it — otherwise, what’s the point of insurance? Why do we have to muddle through with clunky old technology while insurance companies drag their feet, delay payment, and deny coverage? People’s lives are more important than corporations’ billion-dollar bottom lines.

As for me, I am still trying to get the basics covered (like insulin). Pumps, CGMS, etc would be asking for the moon.