1. Cindy
    Cindy July 4, 2008 at 6:58 am | | Reply

I’m just your garden variety DMer rebel: I take full advantage of the flexibility that wearing a pump allows, especially on holidays, regarding eating what I want and not keeping to a time schedule. (I slept in today!!! YAY!!!; I’m going to eat whatever I like at this afternoon’s picnic. Yay!!!) I keep logs when I need to trouble shoot something but other than that, I refuse to be obsessed by those numbers. And there’s nothing better than chocolate and cheese (not much of a coffee or wine drinker)or even one of my all time favorites – pizza.

Living longer is not necessarily the best thing about having a pump; I think it’s enjoying the life you live.

So Happy Independence Day to you, Amy, and to all “closet diabetes rebels. :)

2. Michelle
    Michelle July 4, 2008 at 9:01 am | | Reply

Donuts.

I think that’s Ian’s little snub at diabetes. He loves his donuts.

3. Lili
    Lili July 4, 2008 at 12:18 pm | | Reply

LOL! I just realized I wore sandals to my endo appointment last week. Well, it was 80 degrees! No one said anything about it, though.

4. MelissaBL
    MelissaBL July 4, 2008 at 3:04 pm | | Reply

I have to admit I was my endo’s star logger in my pre-pump days. For ten years, they would parade my little logbook around the Children’s Medical Center of Dallas clinic and point out how I’d used a four-color pen (blue=bkfst, purple=lunch, pink=dinner, green=bedtime – the lisa frank of diabetes care) and had developed a code for notating my site rotations with colored-in corners of the tiny logbook squares.

Then, I went to college. I got the best endo around, who I didn’t like too much, but respected (and subsequently ignored). I got approved for the pump. I discovered freedom, liberty, and…unfortunately, the righteous justice of my diabetes. I did not test, I did not log, and I took advantage of my newfound lack of structure ALL the time. I remember once on Christmas Eve testing my blood sugar and noting that the last time my meter had a reading was Thanksgiving Day.

My life as an adult has been different. Since becoming a teacher and meeting my husband and switching to an endo I get along with, I have been empowered. Born again, they say. I now test at least 6 times a day and often twice that. I am still bad about logging sometimes, preferring to do it in chunks at the end of a week. But I am watching now. I care now. I understand the damage I was doing.

But we’re still human. It’s still hard to eat right or count every carb. Sometimes, you just want/need/have to put it in the backseat for a while. But the problem is, while you think that you’re in control because you’re able to live without thinking about it, you’re actually letting Diabetes drive. And it should never have the license to do that.

5. LaurenK
    LaurenK July 4, 2008 at 4:51 pm | | Reply

I don’t log (as I’ve mentioned), I don’t count carbs, and I don’t ever stick to anything resembling a schedule. I wasn’t a “breakfast, lunch, and dinner” eater before dx, and I’m certainly not one now. That’s how I “stick it” to my type 1. I am determined not to waste an extra minute of my day dealing with it.

6. LindaB
    LindaB July 4, 2008 at 7:38 pm | | Reply

I do not log,I test 4 times a day instead of 10, I wear sandals year round (It’s a law in south Fl !!!!!!), and I have several tattoos, and cheese and chocolate rank up there too. i take good care of myself but I don’t let my diabetes rule my entire existence, I think I would go stark raving mad if I did.

7. Jan
    Jan July 5, 2008 at 8:35 am | | Reply

Since this is not my diabetes but my young niece has Type 1, I am compulsive about logging and testing BS. I take care of her five days a week. I have found, despite the best of care, I really cannot manage her diabetes the way I would like to unless she is wearing her sensor. She refuses to wear sensor this summer and I hope she will consent to wear it in the fall. It would probably be better for the mental health of all, if we did not have to look at the logbook, LOL. She gets quite a few more treats than I suspect adult Type 1s allow themselves, being a child. We schedule, space between meals/snacks and give known foods/snacks mixed glycemic index as much as possible. Have found though that late night snacking is disastrous when she does it, as it takes four and a half hours for Novolog to leave her system. So biggest challenge is late night snacks, which she sometimes craves.

8. Viranth
    Viranth July 5, 2008 at 1:43 pm | | Reply

I test roughly 10 times a day, I eat every three hours and unless I feel low, I sleep for as long as my (almost) two year old son lets me.

I have a eating log, write down everything I eat and how much insulin I take for that meal. Counting carbs isn’t really working for me, since for example potatoes requires less insulin than rice.

I do this because I will not let this break me, I am going to get a grip on this and control it. I’m only on my first 7 months, and I’m only 27 years old, but I still feel that I need to do everything I can do to get it right.

My last A1C was 5.3% And I’ve never had a hypo where I’ve been unable to do whatever I want.

9. Hannah
    Hannah July 7, 2008 at 5:43 pm | | Reply

I only wear socks about half the time, and I loooove me some peep-toes and sandals. I love ice cream, Italian ice, and eating the fun-sized candy bars from the candy basket at work. I am pretty awful at logging, but when I can get my computer to log for me, it doesn’t seem as huge of a deal. What can I say? I’m a punk.

10. Janet
    Janet July 10, 2008 at 8:34 am | | Reply

When my (then 14-year-old) son was diagnosed 2 years ago, I was fastidious about record-keeping. But let’s be realistic: teenagers eat pizza and jelly beans and all kinds of stuff that’s not good for ANY of us. In two years he’ll be going away to college, and Mom the Diabetes Fairy will no longer be hovering, so I’ve gradually backed WAY off. Having diabetes is bad enough; who needs a nagging mother making it worse?

Since he went on the OmniPod 8 mos. ago, we’ve let the PDM do his record-keeping. I keep myself “involved” by filling the new pod with insulin every 3 days. I know he is perfectly capable of doing this himself, but it’s my way of remembering to check his BG averages. When I notice he hasn’t been testing enough, I point it out to him. At the same time, I do a control test on his current vial of test strips, make sure he has spare AAA batteries, and change the barrel in his MultiClix lancet — because I know these are the few things he DOES neglect. And whenever his activity level changes drastically (beginning of tennis season, hiking mountains, etc.), I act as his alarm clock for 3 AM BG checks until we get his insulin doses adjusted.

The OmniPod has been a GODSEND. After about a month on it, he told me “it’s almost like not having diabetes,” and I (secretly) cried. I’m so lucky to have a kid who can look at his diabetes and see a half-full glass. The first time we ate at a restaurant after his diagnosis, he was starting to give himself a shot (syringe) at the table, and my husband asked if he’d rather go out to the car or something, and my dear, sweet son asked, “Why?” (I was kicking my husband under the table!) Around the same time, he told me that he felt as if a part of him had died & he asked if he could talk to a psychologist. After just one visit, he announced that he was fine — he had friends he could talk to. And then he got on with his life. He never once cried.

I HATE this disease, but letting it consume me would only make it worse for my kid than it already is. So basically I “check up on him” at pod-change time (about twice a week). Every 3 months I copy a week’s worth of data from his PDM to a chart for his endo. (No Pathfinder software for the Mac.) His BG averages 150 & his A1c is usually been 7 or less. I know that, compared to the parents of many teenage PWDs, I am incredibly blessed. He has never lost a PDM (although he has dropped it and cracked the screen). He ALWAYS wears a medical ID (cool teenage versions — dog tags or a silicone wrist band) and always carries his “diabetes junk” (glucose tabs, etc.)

He is not the perfect PWD & I am not the perfect mother of a PWD — and I DON’T CARE. Diabetes has its place in our lives, but that place is not the center. No one is perfect. Why should PWDs try to be? My son & I sometimes volunteer for the JDRF, delivering backpacks filled with diabetes info to newly diagnosed teens. But the most important thing we try to deliver is not in the backpack. It’s the message that DIABETES WON’T RUIN YOUR LIFE — if you don’t let it.