1. Amalas
    Amalas July 11, 2008 at 10:00 am | | Reply

The warm-up period for the Dexcom is mildly inaccurate, the way you describe it. You will start getting readings in only 2 hours. Sometimes, those readings are accurate/consistent right away. Sometimes, it can take up to 12 hours to get accurate/consistent readings.

I actually find that if I put it in at night and “sleep on it”, I can get very inconsistent readings overnight. However, if I put it in when I wake up, I can get consistent readings right away after the 2-hour period.

So, I think it depends on a lot of things, but 2 hours is still a lot less than 10 hours.

2. mollyjade
    mollyjade July 11, 2008 at 10:33 am | | Reply

It sounds like they need to create variable alarm targets. Sort of like a programmable thermostat. That way you can have a lower hypo alarm at night and temporarily raise the hyper alarm after meals.

3. Leah
    Leah July 11, 2008 at 12:38 pm | | Reply

wow, that is alot of gear to be sporting in your own skin. thanks for taking one for the team.

4. Titos
    Titos July 11, 2008 at 4:39 pm | | Reply

The reason the alarm goes off after meals is because zour blood sugar is going up fast. In effect the system is trying to tell you to correct behavior, e.g. by taking insulin a few minutes earlier perhaps or by reducing carbs. The system operates as it is supposed to

5. Anne
    Anne July 11, 2008 at 7:02 pm | | Reply

I wish you could set multiple alarms for high or low levels that go off in either direction. This could be *very* helpful during a bike ride or triathlon, for example; not having to constantly look at the thing would be a big improvement–almost as good as wirelessly transmitting the information directly to my brain! :)

6. Viranth
    Viranth July 11, 2008 at 11:56 pm | | Reply

Maybe you’ve already mentioned this, but does it tell you if you’re about to go down or up? I’m recently DX’ed, and my only nighttime hypo came because I wasn’t sure if my BG was going up or down, and I didn’t want tot stay awake for much longer.

7. June S
    June S July 12, 2008 at 8:10 pm | | Reply

Re: Lag Time
    Here’s what I do with my MiniMed Real-Time sensor system: If I am about to hop into bed, and my Paradigm pump thinks my BG is 120, but my fingerstick blood sugar reading is 100, then I set my LOW alarm for 95 (which means it will likely alarm when my BG gets to 75.) I live alone, and I LOVE the sensor system because it gives me the confidence to sleep through the night without setting my alarm to go off at 3 a.m. (which is what I did most nights for many, many years)!

8. Titos
    Titos July 15, 2008 at 11:14 am | | Reply

Viranth, The Navigator tells you if you are going up or down and it also gives an indication of rate of change, so you can decide whether to react immediately or not.
    Amy, the whole point of the thing is to avoid going high. You can adjust the alarms and put the higher after a meal, however this is rather self defeating isn’t it? The point is to modify behavior, so that BG levels don’t rise by that much

9. Bob S
    Bob S July 17, 2008 at 2:53 pm | | Reply

Hey Amy – love the blog. I’ve been using the navi for a bit and we’ve found that if you use the adhesive provided, you need to cut a hole in it so that it doesn’t adhere to the transmitter. That should keep the bandage tight against your skin. Others have been using other stuff to good success as well but I like the IV stuff provided.

10. Kong Trang
    Kong Trang September 29, 2008 at 4:41 pm | | Reply

Amy-

Can you update us on your Navigator experience? It’s been a couple of months and I’m sure you have more things to say about it. I am really interested in getting one and you are the best resource for real-world expectations with these things. Thanks!

11. Dustin
    Dustin January 25, 2011 at 9:40 pm | | Reply

I just got my omnipod in the mail and was thinking of getting a CGM as well. I plan on using my arms for my pod since I’m kinda skeeved about the idea of having something stuck in my stomach area.

I currently have been giving my injections in my arms after my neuropathy in my legs got to the point that the injection sites there would hurt for hours after giving myself an injection.

I was thinking of going with freestyle’s since the omnipod’s PDM has a freestyle BG reader built into it.

Any preference on models, since it appears you have used another model aside from this one?