1. Kate
    Kate July 8, 2008 at 7:51 am | | Reply

amy,
    i do believe that the kind of batteries that the transmitter uses are the kind that come in my omnipods – - – maybe a place / way to resuse them? they are still great when i take them out (every time i remove a pod), so here’s to a little hope that my recycling ways are not in vain…

2. June S
    June S July 8, 2008 at 10:35 am | | Reply

Yikes! That transmitter/receiver (rectangular) looks larger than an OmniPod Pod! I think I would have run out of space on my skin for both had I not switched to the MiniMed Paradigm with Real Time. Their seashell transmitter is much smaller.

3. June S
    June S July 8, 2008 at 10:36 am | | Reply

Yikes! How can you fit a large “Pod” on your body PLUS the large Navigator transmitter/receiver. From the photo, it appears even longer than an OmniPod Pod. (Perhaps the photo is deceptive.)

4. Kassie
    Kassie July 8, 2008 at 10:58 am | | Reply

Love the minimal callibration, though it sounds like you are still testing anyway so I’m not sure how much of a bonus that ends up being. I’ve heard great things about the accuracy, too.

The cost, though… definitely a hurdle. Assuming this is a loaner, do you think you’ll buy this when the time comes? Or undertake the insurance battle?

5. barbara
    barbara July 8, 2008 at 1:02 pm | | Reply

I’m so excited to see you using and reviewing this product! I’ve worn the dex com and it was less than stellar for me…how much do the watch batteries cost? I assume the sensors are comparable with dex and minimed. Hmm. Will be waiting for your comments in a few days!

6. Viranth
    Viranth July 8, 2008 at 2:03 pm | | Reply

I want one of those!

Wonder when they’ll be availiable here in Norway, and if I can get one …

7. Ellen
    Ellen July 8, 2008 at 4:07 pm | | Reply

Looking forward to reading all your comments about the Navigator. Thank you for sharing.

8. Titos
    Titos July 8, 2008 at 4:09 pm | | Reply

My son has been using the navigator for 6 weeks now. Impressions:

- Very accurate on the abdomen, less accurate on the arm
    - Very good and timely alarms, excellent trending info you can work with
    - Transmitter a bit big, but what the hell
    - Tremendous help when doing exams, sports or driving.

You can manage to avoid both lows and highs by reacting to the trends (though it is more difficult to avoid highs than lows). If you wear the cgm and behave as you did before and react to it you will definitely increase time spent within euglycemic zone. What does happen however is that he can now do things he could not do before, so he does them (e.g. eating pizza, KFC or other things that are difficult to control). Fingesticks apart from calibration are down to 2-3 (or less) per day

9. karend1
    karend1 July 8, 2008 at 6:33 pm | | Reply

Amy,

Once again thank you so much for sharing all the wonderful information that you do.

It looks a bit large to me, but if it is accurate I would be thrilled, as for right now I am not using my Medtronic CGM. :(

Keep us posted.

10. ACat
    ACat July 8, 2008 at 11:06 pm | | Reply

Amy, just wondering … values above 200 TWICE a day? And that with all the gear you are using? Isn’t a pump supposed to keep you much much lower? I mean, even with just pens I manage to stay below 170 right after breakfast plus a pretty tight business schedule. I wouldn’t even be able to *think* straight with a 231. Hope you’re doing well, of course. Just wondering …

11. Manny Hernandez
    Manny Hernandez July 9, 2008 at 1:20 am | | Reply

Amy:
    Thanks for the thorough review of the Navigator. I just linked to it from both the Continuous Glucose Monitor Users group and the Continuous Glucose Monitor Forum in TuDiabetes.

Take care,

12. John
    John July 9, 2008 at 4:49 am | | Reply

Hi Amy — Did you ask the trainer about the Navigator warning which states: “A portion of the membrane polymer will remain in the skin each time the sensor is removed. Although no health effects were observed or reported in clinical studies, the long term effects of the sensor membrane fragments remaining in the skin have not been determined.” — This is from Abbot’s “Brief Statement of FreeStyle Navigator System Uses and Risks flyer ART14904 Rev. A.

Any thoughts or comments on this issue?

Thanks.

13. Dave
    Dave July 9, 2008 at 7:38 am | | Reply

I have to say the thing looks huge but I will admit I am biased since I use CGM through my Minimed pump. I find that my current sensor can get in the way especially during a Yoga class. All that bending can make it difficult to keep it in place.

I am glad however that there are several choices out there in the market place. My insurance covers my sensors and the more people that use CGMS the more likely insurance will be will to pay for it. Especially if it saves people from have complications from going low.

14. John
    John July 9, 2008 at 8:27 am | | Reply

Hi Amy — Hmm… My concerns are with how much of these particles are left in the skin, if they ever disintegrate (or migrate), if, over time, the accumulation of these particle interferes with glucose readings, and how these particles may ultimately affect insulin absorption… especially considering that the Navigator shares the same “real estate” as infusion sets, pods and needle-stick sites used to deliver insulin, symilin, byetta, etc… We already know that infusing insulin may cause scar tissue in patients over time, leading to decreased infusion sites… Will the same happen with the puncture left by a CGM system, and will this be exacerbated by a footprint of “micro” particles?

15. gina
    gina July 16, 2008 at 1:31 pm | | Reply

Amy,
    Great post thank you for this.

gina

16. clike here
    clike here October 15, 2012 at 4:09 am | | Reply

This is one awesome post.Thanks Again. Will read on…