1. Scott
    Scott June 24, 2008 at 7:16 am | | Reply

I’ve seen this before, and while it’s clever, it also gives the impression that the way in which a diagnosis is viewed is an “either/or” situation, rather than a “both” situation. Already, some cheerleaders are using this to try and reposition it being a matter of simply viewing the situation differently. But with a complex and chronic condition, few people adhere to a particular way of thinking the same way all the time — rather, they experience ALL of these feelings at different points — and that perhaps what we should take away from this is that nothing is as simple as simply looking at something from a different perspective — there’s a who range of issues which need to be considered, and that chronic conditions are not the same as acute conditions which arise suddenly.

2. elizabeth joy
    elizabeth joy June 24, 2008 at 7:40 am | | Reply

When I started watching I wanted to slap this guy upside the head (and you too, Nicole, for posting it), wondering what the hell was wrong with him. But it really is so incredibly powerful.

I agree with Scott that it’s inevitable that we’ll feel both ways at different times, but I think the message here is that we can decide where to put our focus; you can make yourself think positively, and see the strength this disease gives us. We need to count our blessings, and we all have many, even blessings associated with diabetes: blood testing, insulin pumps, fast-acting insulin, laser therapy for retinopathy, etc., that just weren’t available years ago (when I was first diagnosed.)

Being thankful every day is the best way to feel in control of our lives, and find happiness despite everything life throws at us.

3. tmana
    tmana June 24, 2008 at 7:53 am | | Reply

I’ve seen this one before… it’s that old saw about lemons and lemonade… Our lives have been turned upside-down by diabetes — but in some ways, I think the trials of managing this chronic condition have enriched us, made us stronger, and made us more determined to survive and thrive.

4. carol
    carol June 24, 2008 at 7:59 am | | Reply

What Scott said! Very well put. Most of the time, I am like the “backwards” version of this. Some of that outlook comes from faith, some is positive thinking, and some is denial. I pursue and value life in a much different way post diagnosis, and for that I am truly grateful. But there are other times that the forward version of the tape plays in my head as well. Like after a show stopping low that takes me out of action for a half hour or so, and leaves me with that tired, weak feeling for several hours.

But it is encouraging to me that the apostle Paul had a “thorn in his flesh” that he repeatedly asked God to remove. God didn’t, but He gave Paul the strength to do His will in a huge way in spite of it. I have the feeling that Paul had a little of both versions of that tape going as well, and I wonder if whatever that thorn was made him more effective in reaching out to other people. Sometimes weakness really is strength, and it is those weak moments that make me realize my need for God and others who share in the struggle.

5. Angie RN
    Angie RN June 24, 2008 at 8:59 pm | | Reply

We are what we make ourselves, for sure. Life can make an impact that we sometimes find hard to bear, but remember God answers prayers. The answer WE WANT may NOT be the one HE wants for us, but is THE one HE NEEDS for us. Each of us have a reason to be in this world, a does make an impact and tells the truth in that, we can be in this “predicament” and worse ! Our kidneys could fail and we live with dialysis three times a week, bedridden and in a nursing home for the remainder of our days. Life is a challenge and it’s up to us to manage the BEST we can. Having a POSITIVE ATTITUDE can make a BIG difference, not only in our own personal life, but in others around us.

6. Jef
    Jef June 25, 2008 at 12:02 am | | Reply

Hey, I was a patient of Dr Edelman while I was living in San Diego. Let me tell you, there’s nothing like having an endocrinologist that is also a type 1 diabetic. He really was able to put things in prospective.

7. riva
    riva June 25, 2008 at 4:51 am | | Reply

I agree with Scott, and pretty much everyone else. Life with a chronic illness like diabetes is up and down, and of course “choosing up,” more of the time, because it is a choice, works better. While the video is simplistic in its all or nothing lemons or lemonade parable, albeit clever, it helps remind those who do not even think there could be “ups” that they should.

8. Betty
    Betty June 25, 2008 at 7:26 pm | | Reply

Life isn’t a bowl of cherries no matter who you are Diabetic or non- Diabetic.

9. Pat
    Pat June 26, 2008 at 4:34 pm | | Reply

It is very strong & powerful.
    At times I feel the same way……….. I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in January. Want to talk about chronic pain……….the pain is there all the time. Constant stiffness in all your joints. Some medicines don’t even take the pain away. I am stuck with this for the rest of my life. There is no cure & it doesn’t EVER go away. It’s like a thorn in your side.
    I sure do know how this man feels & other who have a disease.