1. Kokernutz
    Kokernutz June 5, 2008 at 7:50 am | | Reply

I am big on protein shakes as I do a lot of weightlifting at the gym. Provided I get a carb-free mix (yum to Cytosport’s Complete Whey), I don’t have to dose except for the carbs in the milk I mix it with.

I sometimes wonder if the added chemicals in the food make my liver pump out more glycogen. Or something. I don’t know!

2. Courtney
    Courtney June 5, 2008 at 8:25 am | | Reply

Hi Amy, when I started drinking protein shakes I had to have a long talk with my doctor because like you, my blood sugar was saying that there were more carbs in that drink than I was being told. What I found out is that I actually have to bolus for the protein. I don’t remember why, I just remember that when I’m eating an inordinate amount of protein it does something and I need insulin. The ratio is much smaller than what I would bolus for carbs but it still makes a difference.

3. Jonathan
    Jonathan June 5, 2008 at 8:35 am | | Reply

I’ve always wondered why it is that the carb counts on the nutrition labels on some foods always seem to be wrong. Unfortunately, when the label is wrong, it usually understates the carb content. Some of the ones I’ve found that are problematic are diet bars, like Zone Bars, Cliff Bars and various protein bars (so many of which still seem to have 30 g of carbs per bar); protein shakes, too; some wrap breads also. Glad to know it is not just me. It just makes this already complicated process a little more so.

4. adam
    adam June 5, 2008 at 8:52 am | | Reply

Protein raises your blood sugar as well as carbs, though not nearly as quickly. I inject regular insulin to cover protein as well as carbs. You have to be careful with injections to cover protein–it’s easy to overdo it.

I only eat meats, seafood, non-starchy vegetables, fats, cheeses, and desserts. It is the best way to consitently achieve normal blood sugars despite type 1 DM. I don’t feel the least bit deprived, although it took a couple of years to overcome cravings for pizzeria pizza.

5. mollyjade
    mollyjade June 5, 2008 at 10:02 am | | Reply

I agree Jonathan. I don’t eat cereal bars often, but I found some at whole foods that were only 20g carb, and they were all ingredients I recognized. They were my breakfast for a week, but I ended up having to dose as if they were 40g carb. I seriously considered writing the company. Apparently I think my body is more accurate than a lab!

6. tmana
    tmana June 5, 2008 at 10:39 am | | Reply

(1) USDA standard for calculating carbs is “by difference”
    (2) Nobody audits the package information to verify that it is accurate. This is not limited to the US. I submitted this as an news article to DiabeticConnect. The url is http://www.diabeticconnect.com/news_articles/352
    (3) the USDA Nutrition Analysis Laboratory’s database of nutritional values has more errors in it than I can throw a planet at — I mean, how can a 52-gram serving have 58 grams of carbs? This is what I found listed for my favorite cold breakfast cereal, Kashi GoLean. The package serving is 52 g, 140 calories, 1 g fat, 85 mg sodium, 480 mg potassium, 30 g carb (10 g fiber – 1 g soluble, 9 g insoluble; 6 g sugar), 1 g protein. SR20 lists information for the same 52 g serving as 1188 calories, 1.9 g fat, 165 mg sodium, 926 mg potassium, 58 g carb (19.6 g fiber; 12 g sugar), 26.1 g protein. Even if it were pure fat, the highest calorie count 52 g could provide is 468. The rest of the numbers suggest they were based on a 100 g serving, not the 52 g serving listed in the database.

With crazy numbers and no oversight, is it any wonder the label says “10″ and your body says “50″?!?!?!

7. Lauren
    Lauren June 5, 2008 at 11:31 am | | Reply

I’m a T1 vegan with a carb-rich diet, but maintain an A1c under 6. I could never drastically cut out carbs; I don’t think that’s healthy in the slightest, especially not for people who exercise daily. You need to replenish glycogen, diabetic or not. Also, high protein all the time taxes the kidneys and can affect bone density. There are times when I’ll eat a salad for dinner or tofu scramble for a weekend brunch, which are low carb enough that I can avoid an annoying spike, so I understand bypassing carbs for convenience. I don’t think eating low-carb is sustainable or advisable over the long term, though.

8. geekgirl
    geekgirl June 5, 2008 at 11:36 am | | Reply

Meh. I do think the nutrition labeling is wrong quite a lot of the time. Stuff like soup is always a WAG – the manufacturers don’t count how many pieces of potato, carrot, beans etc are in each can. I use the carb count on packaging but monitor after meals carefully to make corrections.

Is another common thread between these products HFCS?

9. mollyjade
    mollyjade June 5, 2008 at 11:49 am | | Reply

Lauren, different things work for different people. It’s pretty clear Amy isn’t trying to survive on 30g of carb a day. I think she’s shooting for that moderation between almost none and 300+g.

10. Lauren
    Lauren June 5, 2008 at 12:55 pm | | Reply

Just putting in my general two cents. Of course everyone has to find their balance — for example, 90% of what I’ve read about diabetes management is useless for me. But, I do think carbs get demonized, and not as many people are aware of the pitfalls of eating high-protein all the time.

11. Kelly K
    Kelly K June 5, 2008 at 1:48 pm | | Reply

PEANUT BUTTER…….I am addicted. It’s comforting to know I’m not the only one ;)
    k2

12. riva
    riva June 6, 2008 at 10:17 am | | Reply

I think when we talk “carbs” we bandy this label around a little too freely. I’m very apt to say I eat hardly any carbs because I don’t eat white, refined carbs but I eat lots of veggies and beans which are carbohydrate foods.

But I do find like evreyone else sometimes the carbs listed on a label or a book like Calorie King have nothing to do with what they do in my body. I tried this great grainy bread that said it had 15g of carb per slice for which I’d need one unit of Humalog, I needed three times as much! Go figure.

13. Romeo from the great white north
    Romeo from the great white north June 6, 2008 at 10:18 am | | Reply

Pasta that says it only has 8g of carb. In my experience I have have had to adjust to the same value as normal pasta. This and some of the other exsamples are reasons why oversight is so important. Our politicians pas a law that gives a good sound bite, but ends up being meaningless because no one checks or the companys in reality don’t care.

14. Jo
    Jo June 8, 2008 at 4:54 am | | Reply

(I haven’t read all the comment, so if this is dupped, sorry!)

I found the only way to be sure is to read first 10 ingredients before eating something.

15. Paul
    Paul June 11, 2008 at 3:25 pm | | Reply

“How much of it could possibly adhere to a handful of mini-carrots, anyway?”

Actually, carrots have a somewhat high glycemic index, so it’s probably the carrots plus the ranch that is causing your spike.

16. Susan
    Susan July 3, 2008 at 5:57 am |

I could not believe the amount of quality material on this site. The site is extremely eyecatching and pulls the reader straight it, the articles are great quality and are very professionally written. I have seen too many of these sites where it looks good, but there’s nothing of value there.