1. Bennet
    Bennet June 13, 2008 at 7:59 am | | Reply

At CWD’s Friends For Life last summer Medtronic had a session where they were talking with parents as a focus group for some kind of a think like the Baby monitor you talked about here.

I likened it to the “machine that goes ping” here:

More than ugly brown boxes the lack of patient focus in my mind is the design issue. Medtronic, Cosmo, Animas, Dexcom, Abbott, Omni and a Partridge in a Pear Tree will all come out with different proprietary versions of the machine that goes ping.

Our data is our data. Data needs to be the patients. These little brown boxes need to play nice together so the kids in the sand box can too.

2. Allison Blass
    Allison Blass June 13, 2008 at 10:31 am | | Reply

I think that Medtronic car sounds awesome! I don’t really need it because I have excellent low-sensing abilities, but I know a lot of people who can’t feel them and I think if I couldn’t feel my lows I would feel much, much safer.

I also think the babymonitor idea is a great idea and hopefully they’ll improve on the idea over time. If it’s still in the prototype phase then there is plenty of time to make it not suck completely.

3. Brent
    Brent June 13, 2008 at 11:41 am | | Reply

The baby monitor is not just for babies! It would be a great device for anyone to make the alarms louder for parents of teens, partners on the other side of the bed, etc. This product is long overdue.

As far as the meter above, it’s a great idea. As I mentioned last week, I’d love to see WaveSense and Pelikan get together and do this.

Thanks again for the great blog!

4. Doug
    Doug June 13, 2008 at 12:37 pm | | Reply

The CGM “baby monitor” might be a good idea within limited scope. I have seen too many parents of newly (or recently) diagnosed kids (I’m referring to the Type 1 variety) who drive themselves crazy between guilt, hand-wringing and excessive surveillance. Their paranoia soon colors the entire family dynamics.

Being able to help your child/teen/sig. other through a low or high glucose period is consoling to all involved, but eventually the monitored party needs to know how to do it themselves and assume the responsibility. In the case of kids, it might be “when you feel this way Johnny, it’s ok to get the snack that we have for you in the fridge.”

On limited use (to establish new insulin regimens, learn how to integrate insulin/medication/exercise/food, establish good habits (or reinforce their practice) this would be a good tool.

5. Michelle
    Michelle June 13, 2008 at 2:12 pm | | Reply

right after my son was dx in late 2005 (or early 2006) I went to a pump talk and the cgm were still not even on the market yet but the minimed rep was talking about this baby monitor thing and at the time it sounded cool…and now it even sounds cooler.

I LOVE the idea of the OnQ. For kids that would be amazing. For instance, Ian took his meter on the bus with him today for field trip and I was paranoid that he would dump the whole container on the floor. (which is why I took another container in the car). From a parent standpoint, that’s something that would make life for my child easier. I like that. Now, is it accurate!!!????

6. Brian
    Brian June 13, 2008 at 5:49 pm | | Reply

As is often the case with new diabetes products, that CGM wall monitor for keeping tabs on your kid is simultaneously incredibly awesome and deeply sad. But CGM and a pump on a baby? I imagine that’s cumbersome sure, but what an amazing advancement for treating those who cannot treat themselves.

7. Lauren
    Lauren June 13, 2008 at 7:27 pm | | Reply

I am involved in a rituximab (anti CD20) study of newly diagnosed type 1s and I would be very cautiously optimistic, if at all, about these therapies. First, by the time symptoms appear, beta cells are 90% or more destroyed. These studies in their current incarnations aim at preserving the scraps of what’s left by down-regulating antibodies to islet cells. Second, these drugs are immune modulators. Rituximab depletes the antibody-forming populations of B cells, at the expense of prior and future immunities. Antibodies are the way the immune system remembers foreign invaders and even cancer cells.

Downregulating T cells is even more dangerous. Many transplant drugs diminish T cell populations. “Arresting the autoimmune process” means arresting an entire arm of the immune system. This is not without its price. I’ll be interested to read the results of these studies and see if their findings are robust — if the experimental group’s C peptide levels increase or stay the same. Until then I wouldn’t get excited.

8. Andy Rozman
    Andy Rozman June 15, 2008 at 6:40 am | | Reply

Hi !
    This OnQ, looks too big for my taste… I like small things… Roche has something similar than OnQ I think… Accu-Chek Compact…

As for Bayer lancette thing… I used something similar and I must say my fingers still hurt from it… I disocvered Softclix, this one is also from Roche… It doesn’t hurt that much… It’s been rumored to have smallest needles so far. I would advise this for kids… After using it for 2 weeks, my fingers feel much better now, after “abuse” from my previous lancette thing…

Andy

9. vicki abbott
    vicki abbott June 15, 2008 at 8:18 pm | | Reply

What would really be wonderful would be a device like the OnQ that DIDN’T use test strips – thereby saving diabetics lots and lots of $$. You know — it pokes you and you get the reading. No middleman strip. Why isn’t this possible??

10. Michelle
    Michelle June 16, 2008 at 9:41 am | | Reply

Brian, many infants and small kids use pumps now, and many more each day are using CGM’s. So that isn’t really new. In fact, MOST parents find rather quickly that pumping is the best way to deal with the erratic eating that goes along with the youngest kids. I dare say, it’s becoming uncommon to see kids without pumps. :)

11. Mason
    Mason June 16, 2008 at 5:28 pm | | Reply

A little word about the disposable strips. The reason that they need to be disposable, at least with the current state of technology, is that each strip has some chemicals. When those chemicals react with the glucose in the blood, a reaction happens and an electric signal is created. That reaction can only happen once on each strip. And the blood fills the pocket on the strip. So currently, we’re stuck (so to speak) with that middleman.

12. Peter
    Peter June 17, 2008 at 8:20 am | | Reply

Totally love the idea of OnQ! It’s about time someone did this. I hate having to unzip my kit and assemble everything. It looks a little like my iPod. Please hurry up and bring this to the market!

13. Nick
    Nick June 17, 2008 at 11:32 pm | | Reply

Hi, Im the author of the Diamyd Blog. Regarding your comments on Diamyd “Vaccine”. I think you should get excited.

This is a drug which may work, with no side effects. Treatment is very simple, a few injections (3-4).

Lets hope the Phase III trials gives us more information. They are starting req now.

Rgrds

14. Nick
    Nick June 17, 2008 at 11:33 pm | | Reply

Forgot the website in case you need more information:

15. Alana
    Alana June 19, 2008 at 10:19 am | | Reply

Re the in2it A1c onsite device – my kid’s endo has a finger-stick A1c machine in their (on-site) lab and it gives results in 90 seconds vs 1 week with LabCorp and Quest. Our endos are with CHOP in Philadelphia but we go to a “branch” office and the machine is expensive but small. My insurance requires that we go to LabCorp (or the hospital lab), but I finally got them to agree that the finger-stick A1c should be covered at the dr lab. I called LabCorps national hq to see if ANY of their sites had the finger-stick A1c capabilities and was told no. In fact, they couldn’t believe I would want (for my son) the fingerstick instead of an arm draw FOUR times a year…. Funny what people think. They asked if my son was an infant; I guess the thinking is that it is acceptable to not want an arm draw for an infant, but for a 12 year old, it is perfectly normal to WANT the pain of an arm draw? I told them it was all about compliance – figured that would get their attention. If he fears the arm draw now, will he submit to it later when I can’t cajol him into compliance? Every endo (and GP) should have an A1c machine onsite.