1. Amalas
    Amalas June 24, 2008 at 1:34 pm | | Reply

While this product does look AWESOME, I am mildly concerned about the phrase “more concentrated insulin.” That sounds like a headache waiting to happen.

I haven’t been a diabetic for very long, but didn’t there used to be different formulas like U-50, U-100, U-500, etc? Didn’t this cause a lot of problems, which is why they moved to a standard U-100? As such, I am surprised that a pump company would consider making a statement like that.

Anyway, I can’t wait to get more details on this because this looks like an absolutely beautiful product.

2. Scott
    Scott June 24, 2008 at 1:50 pm | | Reply

I too was surprised by the comment regarding “more concentrated insulin, once available on the market” largely because the U-500 variety already has a significantly slower pharmacokinetic profile than less concentrated varieties including today’s de-facto standard U-100. Its also worth noting that U-40, for example, worked faster than today’s Humalog/Novolog/Apidra analogs, but we can expect some delays with the überconcentrated stuff!

3. LaurenK
    LaurenK June 24, 2008 at 2:40 pm | | Reply

Yes, I’m also curious about the phrase more concentrated insulin. More insulin per mL? That will drastically change dosing, especially for those of us who are super insulin-sensitive. I actually love my Humalog. I tried Apidra for 3 weeks and it was terrible for me. I had skyrocketing post-prandial highs all of a sudden, leading me to believe Apidra has a shorter duration of action and different kinetics altogether. I learned not to take switching insulins lightly.

4. mcityrk
    mcityrk June 24, 2008 at 7:25 pm | | Reply

Hi-

With the thin channels in the device, the small volumes to be transported, and the use of more concentrated insulin does anyone else start to worry about increasing probability of the device being a clogged infusion line just waiting to happen??

mcityrk

5. yeawho
    yeawho June 25, 2008 at 8:02 am | | Reply

Okay, I may be naive, but this is different from the Omnipod how? That the “PDA” is ON the pump? Think it might be kind of difficult (for ME) to program since I can’t always see my sites (very well anyway).

U-500 insulin doesn’t bother me, I’ve used it in the pump before. For the insulin resistant diabetic, it’s nice not having to change out so often.

Anyway, I’m all for new technology and can’t wait to hear more about it.

6. Michelle
    Michelle June 25, 2008 at 8:43 am | | Reply

Ok, my question is this – is it going to be a stick on pump like the pod? Or a traditional clip on your belt, since I do see a tube sticking out of it?

I like the size. I like the small dosing – that’s a HUGE benefit to kids.

I like that advances are coming.

Ian just pulled out his cozmo and laid it on my debit card. Guess what ? It’s the size of a debit card already, so this new pump isn’t remarkably smaller – just a LOT thinner.

7. Angela
    Angela June 29, 2008 at 6:10 am | | Reply

I did the same thing when I saw this picture – pulled out a credit card and sized it up. The Minimed Paradigm is the same size as a credit card already. Then I went online and found the dimensions for the nanopump – listed in mm, I converted to inches here – 2.5 x 1.5 x .43. That is 3/8 of an inch shorter, 3/8 of an inch narrower, and about 1/8 of an inch thinner than my Paradigm (maybe your son uses a different pump Michelle, but that’s not a lot thinner than mine!) I can’t fit the Paradigm under clothes, and I don’t see how this one would be any better. I get that insulin has mass and as a liquid can’t be compressed… but it can take the form of any container. So why, when the major piece of mechanical equipment (the pumping mechanism) is a chip smaller than a fingertip, is this device STILL SO HUGE??? Is the insulin still stored in a tube-shaped reservoir?

My HbA1c is in the low sixes, and I am very comfortable with the cost/benefit of my level of control. I don’t like to obsess over every microscopic detail – so the capability to dose teensy-tiny boluses and program my basal to .02 microliters does not appeal to me. I’m also not afraid of my pump (in six years I’ve only had one minor problem), so the prospect of clogging doesn’t concern me. I just need something UNOBTRUSIVE and LIVEABLE. I had been hoping this might be it, and I am once again very, very disappointed.