1. Denise  Bevard
    Denise Bevard June 17, 2008 at 7:16 am | | Reply

I hate these annoying instances! Reminds m of a conversation I had a few days ago trying to explain to an HR person how..even if I go to bed the same time,getup the same time, eat the same thing at the same time..day after day…my BG would NOT respond the same….” I don’t understand” was the response.. REALLY????

Its too bad that we can’t make some people go through a day in the life of…so they has SOME idea..

Glad it didn’t last too long!

2. Bennet
    Bennet June 17, 2008 at 8:03 am | | Reply

Your Diabetes May Vary

3. Craige McKenna
    Craige McKenna June 17, 2008 at 8:31 am | | Reply

Your post is oh so true! I don’t know how many times I have had to explain to people that just because I did and ate the same thing as last time, my BG will not be the same; “huh?” is their normal reply. We (diabetics) always have to watch, count, analyze, etc. everything we put in our mouths and what we do to know if it is either going to make us low or high. It is a continuous game that we have to play because if we don’t, we can, and will, suffer the consequences.

4. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson June 17, 2008 at 8:38 am | | Reply

Word Up Amy T!

5. carol
    carol June 17, 2008 at 9:15 am | | Reply

Nonjudgemental empathy coming your way ((((Amy)))). You are so right on! I’ve been trying to get a better handle on my early morning numbers to get my runs in earlier. Not much time to adjust unless I get up at 3:00 am to make sure things are headed in the right direction. Sometimes I wonder if I would be better off NOT to exercise, but refuse to give in to that since I actually enjoy it. I defintely feel ya!

6. Freddie Jaye
    Freddie Jaye June 17, 2008 at 10:08 am | | Reply

Diabetes blows, pure and simple.

In my (much) younger, pre-pump days, I had a very strenuous temp job. Turned out I could skip my post-meal injection entirely, and still have a normal reading hours later. The “exercise” of the job was enough to burn off the food with no insulin. Perhaps that would work with you, too.

I agree: dealing with ignorant people can be frustrating. Example: After my kidney transplant, a colleague remarked, “Cool! That means you don’t need insulin anymore, right?”

The best thing we can do with them is be patient. Keep explanations short and to-the-point. Try responding, “Yeah, a lot of people think that’s true, but…”

Remember: when faced with a choice between ignorance and stupidity, always choose ignorance. It is at least curable.

7. George
    George June 17, 2008 at 10:39 am | | Reply

I hear you Amy. Why can’t we get a flippin break! BOO Diabetes BOO!!!!

8. Kokernutz
    Kokernutz June 17, 2008 at 10:47 am | | Reply

I crank my BG up to 240 and take off my pump before going to the gym. When I leave it’s always between 80-120, never fail.

9. Lauren
    Lauren June 17, 2008 at 12:32 pm | | Reply

Before a 2-hour workout, I would have plenty of carbs and skip the insulin. I inject, though. To me, daily injections seem far simpler than messing with the pump’s “basal” settings and whatever else. That is just too much of a headache.

I also struggled this weekend. I had inexplicably high post-prandials which were close to impossible to bring down. After 24 hours of this I finally thought to check my insulin pen. Sure enough, a few drops leaked out when I pressed the plunger, rather than a steady stream. There was a giant air bubble in the cartridge. Mystery solved, finally.

No two days of my week are the same, between work and school and all the other stuff in my life. I find that skipping meals is the best way to deal with it. If I know I can’t eat until 5 or 6 at night, or later, I just have almonds or salad and avoid mealtime insulin during the day. When I go home and have more time to think about it, I’ll make dinner and inject insulin.

What drives me insane are people who push food on me during the day, not realizing that I can’t snack or nibble without planning for it. More than one coworker has been put-out because I declined to try homemade cookies, potato salad, or oranges from someone’s tree. I explain I’m diabetic so I have to watch what I eat. Then I hear, “well, it’s just fruit, it’s not dessert” or something similar.

10. LindaB
    LindaB June 17, 2008 at 2:53 pm | | Reply

Someone ought to invent a diabetic suit,kinda like when a guy walks around with a fake pregnancy belly attached to themso they can kinda see what its all about. you could rig it up with a belly that they inject into and they of course would have to test their real fingers,maybe a bell or whistle evry time its time to check,or when they go low or reach for a food item of any kind.I know it wouldn’t be the same as our everyday life,but, I bet just that “small” reality check would make them look at it a bit differently.
    I think I might have to work on that!!!

11. Rachel
    Rachel June 17, 2008 at 4:42 pm | | Reply

I know, I so know. I was just blogging on this exact same issue today.

12. Jef
    Jef June 17, 2008 at 10:11 pm | | Reply

Sounds like fun…er

I usually get the opposite problems with exercise myself. I can not eat, not change my basals, and run HIGH for hours after exercise followed by exciting crashes at unpredictable times.

For me, it’s food + insulin + normal basals or I’m doomed.

Isn’t this fun? :)

13. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell June 18, 2008 at 3:07 am | | Reply

Amen Amy.

You work hard to control your diabetes so that you can have great control and some flexibility in your life. But don’t dare take advantage of the flexibility because sometimes it will come back to bite you.

The one I hate is when I go low because I’ve decided to play with the kids in the yard for a while.

I’d give anything for a cure. But in the meantime I’d love to have insulin I could shut off or carbs that were absorbed in minutes or both!

14. Dave
    Dave June 18, 2008 at 1:26 pm | | Reply

Dear Amy – it’s posts like this one that keep me coming back to Diabetes Mine. When I read these kinds of thoughts it’s like you and I are just sitting side by side talking like a couple of old friends.

“Thanks” just ins’t strong enough – but it’ll have to do.

DB

15. JuneauKimberly
    JuneauKimberly June 18, 2008 at 2:07 pm | | Reply

I am so glad you told your story! I found so many parts of it that I could relate to… Like NOT realizing when my sugar is low…BECAUSE my brain is TOO LOW on sugar to realize it!!! Gosh, I can recall MANY times in the last 30+ years that I JUST COULD NOT FIGURE OUT that I was low… But thank GOD I know that when my thinking is “funny” that I should eat/drink whatever I have available and THEN test.

I had not had a low bedtime experience until just recently. The good thing about nighttime lows is that I kick my spouse over and over in my sleep. He knows what to do and does it promptly. This has happened twice in the last two years and it scared me. Sure, I keep glucose tabs by my bedside, but when I am in a deep sleep and my sugar gets low and I DON’T wake up, then what? I feel very blessed to have someone in my lfe who knows ME and knows what to do when I am in trouble.
    The rest of the world DOES need better education about us. I really hate to be anywhere when I get low and need to ask for help from a stranger. I just never know if I will survive each time it happens. My heart fights while my brain feels like I am losing…

16. MelissaBL
    MelissaBL June 23, 2008 at 8:51 am | | Reply

You have totally described my typical “melissa tries to go to the gym” experience. No amount of temp basal adjustments (30%, 40%, 50%, none?) or eating (before/during/after/fasting) combinations do the same trick every time. Yesterday is not today is not tomorrow. All we can do is prepare for the worst, hope for the best…and cuss a lot.

BTW, has anyone else had problems with a CGMS not being able to understand signals when around the treadmills? I’ve been using a loaner dexcom seven from my endo all week and every time I was too near the treadmills at the gym, I got “???” readings. Same thing happened when I stood up to sing at a microphone a few times this weekend (am a singer). My husband says it’s electrostatic chatter type stuff (or something very tech-y that I’m failing to quote accurately). Just wondering if that’s typical CGMS behavior before I consider spending that kind of out-of-pocket money.

Thanks for the post.

17. Lauren
    Lauren June 24, 2008 at 7:42 pm | | Reply

I have had similar experiences as I am sure all diabetics do. Just a few weeks ago I had an even scarier one than yours, Amy. I am living by myself this summer as I am in college and my roommates are out of town. Although I set my alarm for 7am to get up an run, I did not wake up. My sister knew I was supposed to call her at noon and when I didn’t she called a friend who came over to check on me. I was unresponsive and would not eat or drink anything. The paramedics were called and I was given 2 packets of glucagon gel, a can of coke, and some crackers. 20 minutes after this my blood was 24. When they said this I just cried and cried because I knew immediately that I should not be alive – definitely was some miracle that I did not die that day. Since my sugar wouldn’t rise after all of the carbs, they had to give me an IV and then it promptly rose to 124 but the medicine made me sick and I was in bed all day. I missed work and babysitting but lucikly my employers understood and were very empathetic. Being only 22 and dealing with these circumstances is extremely scary and hard and no one understands. I feel very blessed to have a wonderful family and great friends who are willing to deal with me when my blood gets low and take care of me. Ever since I was diagnosed I have not been able to recognize my lows which is another issue. I can only keep praying for a cure, as we all do.

18. Anna
    Anna June 26, 2008 at 3:35 am | | Reply

This happens to me almost every time I work out, too. It’s so frustrating, especially if you’re working out to lose weight. I’m 21, had type 1 for 2 years now, and yesterday just broke down and cried for about an hour because my blood sugars are so confusing, it seems like there’s nothing I can do. And I’m majoring in biomedical engineering!! (Which ironically contributes to my horrible blood sugars – yesterday I had a final and a 20 page lab project due for my electrobiology class…) Literally I have fluctuated between 37 and 320 some days. I promise that once I’m a bona fide engineer I will try to find a solution to all this!!