1. beth
    beth June 18, 2008 at 10:53 am | | Reply

I must admit I wasn’t expecting anything very interesting to come out of this, but I started looking just out of curiosity, and… These ROCK. Well, some are duds, but overall, these are excellent and now I’m not even sure who I should vote for :(

2. Amalas
    Amalas June 18, 2008 at 11:28 am | | Reply

You mean the Glucopatch doesn’t exist yet? Make it so! It’s very scary to tell/show my husband how to use a Glucagon pen. A quick patch would be sooo much easier and probably safer too.

I was also fond of the Dimo meter, the Maximum Slide, Break-off test strips, glucose tablet skins, compact case, and bioflips.

3. KK
    KK June 18, 2008 at 11:43 am | | Reply

Loved the Dimo (adult sizes designs would be great too!) Log for life, Maximum slide, compact case & the Diabetes cards. Wish there was a more effective way to vote

4. Michelle
    Michelle June 18, 2008 at 5:35 pm | | Reply

My top 3:

#1: I give Maximum Slide high points for category 1 and 2 and with some minor tweaking it would be a really sweet category 3

#2: I give the Dimo Meter Watch high points for category 1 and 3 but it would need some serious tweaking to figure out how to actually make it work.

#3: I give Break off Test Strips high points in category 1, minor tweaking in category 2 (need to keep the strips clean somehow so they stay useful) and in category 3 it’s just “there” ..can you make strips aestectically pleasing? Maybe with a nice case which would solve category 2′s problem.

5. Sue
    Sue June 18, 2008 at 6:22 pm | | Reply

I like the touchpad the best, that seems like it would allow me to carry a lot less with me, which would make it much less noticeable out in public. I also like the idea of the glucose covers. Those would be great for adults too!

6. whelps
    whelps June 18, 2008 at 6:26 pm | | Reply

I’m most interested by the touch pad design for a couple reasons.

After an admittedly brief review on the submissions, it seemed like the touch pad design had the most thought out production plan. The system seems to have been designed for ease of mass production and real world reliability.

Furthermore, the touch pad addresses important concerns unaddressed by many of the products, communities, and discussion around diabetes, including this website. With the rise in diabetes among Hispanics, juveniles, and the elderly, many people being diagnosed with diabetes cannot make use of tools like this website, let along advanced equipment options for treatment. The touch pad addresses these concerns, making ease of use the focus of its design.

While the style of the product may leave something to be desired, this is far outweighed by the benefits brought by the ease of use and production feasibility. After all, the style can be changed fairly easily in later phases of development, but features such as ease of use and production feasibility are foundations for the ultimate product.

7. David
    David June 18, 2008 at 7:10 pm | | Reply

All of the entries are interesting but I really think the touchpad idea is great!

8. Terry Keelan
    Terry Keelan June 18, 2008 at 8:56 pm | | Reply

I’m all for the Diabetes Cards. Tear off strips would be easy to carry, they use existing technology, they avoid the problem of fumbling for strips – much like the Maximum slide.

If there’s an award for coolest presentation of an idea, that goes to the Maximum Slide guys.

9. Jeff
    Jeff June 18, 2008 at 9:18 pm | | Reply

I got a kick out of the Break Off Test Strips. Having them be the size of a credit card and fitting in a wallet would be awesome and convenient!

10. Corinne
    Corinne June 19, 2008 at 2:59 am | | Reply

I’m pretty psyched about the TouchPad. I feel that this entry is extremely strong in the “clinical efficacy” category; a convenient way to calculate insulin doses appeals to a number of patient demographics. This product could help train children and young adults on how to monitor their condition. Because kids are eager to use technology in any form, it makes testing and dosing fun. On the flip side, the TouchPad isn’t too intimidating for technophobes to use. Kind of like an interactive book.

11. Paul
    Paul June 19, 2008 at 9:36 am | | Reply

I think the kid that designed the Compact Case to transport all diabetes supplies has the best idea overall. I am not sure of what else is on the market, but it is clear that this kid is living with the same day to day challenges that I am.
    As for the most interesting idea, the cell compatible meter is by far the best. This would solve so many problems for us diabetics. Namely, always carrying around a bulky meter. Also, this is a great way to have integration of a digital log book. An alliance with an online resource would be perfect.