1. Challenge Diabetes
    Challenge Diabetes April 8, 2008 at 11:55 am | | Reply

Experience Counts

First Ever Wireless Diabetes Management System
    Poster Presentation from Diabetes Technology Meeting November 2003.

This is a Poster Presentation – an academic presentation of clinical research regarding the first ever documented diabetes management tr…

2. CALpumper
    CALpumper April 8, 2008 at 12:05 pm | | Reply

Sounds interesting and possibly useful.

I still want to test without pricking my finger though. In the meantime, lower costs for those test strips!

3. HealthCareVox
    HealthCareVox April 8, 2008 at 2:29 pm | | Reply

Qualcomm Exec Talks About The “Health Phone” Of The Future

Earlier today, my friend Amy Tenderich published a fascinating interview with Don Jones, Qualcomms vice president of Business Development. During their conversation, Jones focused on how wireless technologies will aid disease prevention an…

4. Bernard Farrell
    Bernard Farrell April 8, 2008 at 3:23 pm | | Reply

I’d really like to test the interface and see whether real people can actually use it.

To many devices seem to have been designed by engineers, so the usability is way down.

If they’re looking for testers, I’d sign up.

5. John
    John April 8, 2008 at 5:25 pm | | Reply

“For diabetes, research suggests that an integrated meter in a phone is far more appealing to Type 2’s than Type 1’s”.

I’m highly skeptical of this point. Sure, Type 1′s may always carry their meter around — but that doesn’t mean they always want to carry a meter AND carry a phone. Cell phones are everywhere, and I doubt that Type 1′s use them less than Type 2′s — so why wouldn’t a Type 1 want an integrated device so they can carry one object instead of two? Look at the market for PDAs — many people have switched to the convenience of having a PDA that’s integrated into a cell phone.

6. pepermint_2007
    pepermint_2007 April 9, 2008 at 4:26 am | | Reply

I do not believe this. I have been waiting over a year and half for lifescan to produce a windows vista compatible software. instead they are wasting their time on wireless connection. they should first get the basics right.

7. tmana
    tmana April 9, 2008 at 9:12 am | | Reply

It sounds to me as if the correct approach to downsizing meter technology may be to go look at consumer-model heart-rate monitor technology.

My original Polar F6 heart rate monitor went almost two years on the original watch battery, and the chest transmitter is still working fine. (Based on size and geometry, the transmitter probably works on watch batteries.) Set-up requires entering height, weight, gender, and date of birth, and current time. It calculates my ideal exercise heart rate ranges for the day, and warns me when I am exercising too hard (or not hard enough). It permanently captures my exercise time, heart rate range(max/average), and estimated calories burned per exercise session. More advanced models store exercise routines and capture sport-specific training information.

All of Polar’s monitors from the F6 upward can be uploaded to online software for further analysis.

While there are certain things I’d like to see in the HRM (a continuous-memory heart rate readout for a single exercise session) — just like there are things we’d like to see in blood glucose meters (besides small test size/quick and accurate response/inexpensive or no-cost consumables, customizable upload and analysis capabilities) — I think if the companies behind these two technologies were each to explore the other, we consumers would get quick, accurate information, analysis to our (or our healthcare professionals’) desired level of detail, in small, integrated, easy-to-use packages.

8. J Di Napoli
    J Di Napoli April 9, 2008 at 5:28 pm | | Reply

As a Type I for 35 years – I still would love to have a virtual coach – even if it is an algorithm via a cell phone – I think we could use all the reminders and guidance we can get us easily distracted from our diabetes routines and problem solving. Sign me up for that clinical trial too!

9. Nicole
    Nicole April 21, 2008 at 12:24 pm | | Reply

We have been using the glucophone for several months now and it has been WONDERFUL. Since there is no school nurse, my daughter and I manage her diabetes ourselves. Before glucophone she would either have to leave class to call me with her number or she would text and I would text her back. Now with the glucophone the phone sends me her number and I only need to text her if she needs to do something about that number. I think the tech is awesome and has made a HUGE difference in the life of my Type 1 daughter.