Eat Your Greens

They keep telling us we should eat lots of veggies and fruit. Obviously, veggies are better — if you don’t want to spike your blood sugar, that is (D’OH). Well, I don’t eat nearly as many servings of greens per day as I ought to. And don’t pretend you do, either.

So what are our options then? Disguise the stuff? No, I mean like the celebs do, hiding them inside other foods that seem more appealing? Maybe. Or maybe try liquidating the stuff into a smoothie with a little zing. Here’s a recipe that some very health-conscious friends passed on:

Mainly spinach (3/4) then add the following:
One apple (cut it up before you put it in the blender or it’s a disaster)
Tablespoon of raw chopped ginger
Parsley (usually lots)
Cucumber (half of a hot house or English cucumber)
Lemon Juice (use half a lemon and squeeze it in)
Celery (not much of this or it’s difficult to blend)
Bell Peppers (totally optional, they say — personally I can’t digest the suckers)

Blend until smooth on high – It’s best if the veggies are cold…
“The apple, ginger and lemon really make it taste great,” my friends claimed.

Here’s me attempting to make the stuff:

Img_1540

Ingredients – check!

Img_1542

Stuff into blender – check! (Wow, that’s full)

Img_1544

Produce extremely green drink – check!

Img_1547_2

Drink despite the disgusted looks on children’s faces, and despite husband’s remark that it looks like some Frog [Byproduct] – check!

Really, it wasn’t half bad after all.

I wanted to note that I also tried Mollyjade’s suggested vegetable dip, made by mixing peanut butter, soy sauce, chili sauce, and garlic powder. Chili-flavored peanut butter. Strange. A little like you’d imagine the “PB Special” at El Torito Mexican restaurant. In other words, the jury’s still out on that one — especially since my BG level shot up after I presumably under-dosed for this concoction. But worth a try just the same. I think I’ll spring it on my next Book Club meeting at our place, just to test whether it motivates people to eat their raw greens :)

1. David Edelman
    David Edelman March 7, 2008 at 7:06 am | | Reply

Amy, that expression on your face perfectly captures your caption! One thing I miss about Rhode Island, home of my alma mater, is the large number of smoothie shops where I could get just such a concoction without taking out my blender. Thanks for sharing your experience in words and photos.

2. Kelly K
    Kelly K March 7, 2008 at 7:07 am | | Reply

Amy -
    Thanks for testing out the green stuff, your an inspiration and a brave one at that! The drink sure looks interesting. Was that the drink Dr. Oz made on Oprah?
    I’m going to give it a try as I’m also trying to up my whole veggie and fruit intake.
    I wonder if cilantro would work ?

As far as veggie dip – I take 1 to 1.5 part plain greek yogurt(better for us than sour cream and very tasty) & mix it with 2.5 parts salsa,lime juice,cilantro & various spices to taste.
    It’s delicious and great with veggies. I use bell peppers, baby carrots, cucumbers and celery.
    It’s good to snack on, u get both the crunch factor & the health factor.
    Your book club might like it!

3. Courtney
    Courtney March 7, 2008 at 8:48 am | | Reply

You know, I’m just gonna have to think good thoughts about that green concoction you’re drinking and try it out. Although, I can stick to my shot of wheat grass and probably get the same nutrients…

4. Marston A.
    Marston A. March 7, 2008 at 8:54 am | | Reply

Hah, yup. This is exactly what I do and have for breakfast every morning. I’m also a sucker for a good baby spinach salad.

After 6 months of doing this everyday and just eating more raw veggies and fruits in general I’ve never felt so good or with more energy in my life. Insulin intake is down 50% and A1c is down almost 4% so far as well. Awesome.

5. joan
    joan March 7, 2008 at 11:50 am | | Reply

Love the pictures. One of my favorite ways of consuming spinach is to microwave a whole package of frozen spinach and add it to an eggbeater omelet. I find that I really cannot taste the spinach in this dish but I feel good knowing that I am consuming it (and for those of you who are “volume eaters” like I am but interested in losing weight also like I am), this makes a HUGE portion and few calories.

6. Scott K. Johnson
    Scott K. Johnson March 7, 2008 at 12:59 pm | | Reply

Um…that looks really…green…

I love the picture!

7. Elijah Meyer
    Elijah Meyer March 7, 2008 at 6:33 pm | | Reply

Not trying to be a wise ass here, but do you really dislike vegetables so much that you have to mask them in a smoothie? I mean, you essentially just pureed a salad, and a salad with those same ingredients would be a lot more appetizing.

Have you tried sea salt? Pepper? Extra virgin olive oil? Balsamic vinegar? They go great with vegetables! Just sayin’ is all.

8. AmyT
    AmyT March 7, 2008 at 7:24 pm | | Reply

Elijah,
    I eat GOBS of salad. No really, I mean GOBS and GOBS. Being gluten intolerant, salad is about the only thing on most restaurant menus that I can safely order. I just get tired of it, is all. Always nice to try *something else*

9. Dennis
    Dennis March 7, 2008 at 9:31 pm | | Reply

Ahh used to just have a V8
    Now it’s Splash/Fusion V8
    Has all the veggies in one little 6 0z. can

add a touch of Vodka and your good to go..

10. Susan
    Susan March 8, 2008 at 1:21 pm | | Reply

I tried it and liked it. But, I did have a problem, because my blender wouldn’t blend it, so I transferred it to my food processor and used a spoon instead of a straw to eat it. The ginger makes it palitable. Thanks from
    a hungry LADA

11. Florian
    Florian March 9, 2008 at 8:54 pm | | Reply

I have always enjoyed eating all kinds of fresh veggies. I also like a large green salad with my dinner. Spring lettuce with baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, chopped walnuts, feta cheese and a sprinkle of homemade dressing made with lo salt V8 juice and Balsamic Vinegar. Sometimes I add pieces of one or more of the following; green peppers, celery, carrots, cucumbers, radishes, red onion, alfalfa sprouts, broccoli, summer squash, and apple. DELICIOUS, Healthy, and Nutritious

12. mollyjade
    mollyjade March 13, 2008 at 8:36 am | | Reply

You used chili sauce and not chili powder, right? It should be more Asian than Tex Mex.

I like green smoothies. I add a bit of unsweetened soy milk to mine (only 3g carb for a cup and it adds some protein), and I use frozen banana or berries instead of an apple. If I use blueberries, it turns an interesting shade of purple-brown. I always seem to overdose for them though.

13. Lisa
    Lisa March 17, 2008 at 3:58 pm | | Reply

I suppose I’m lucky because I much prefer raw veggies to cooked, and I don’t require dip. I also discovered the pre-packed salads section at Trader Joe’s, and that’s been a godsend. I still don’t eat enough servings per day, but I’m doing mucho better than I did just a couple of years ago.

14. Louise
    Louise March 17, 2008 at 11:13 pm | | Reply

I make green smoothies everyday. I use spinach or kale, and add raspberries or blueberries, some carrots, and water or pomegranate juice. I blend it all in my food processor for a few minutes, and we have a great start to our day :)

15. Czes Kulvis
    Czes Kulvis June 26, 2008 at 3:43 pm | | Reply

Green raw food contains heaps of enzymes too