Your Chronic Condition — In Comics :)

My friends at HealthCentral Network understand the value of a smile when it comes to living with compromised health.

Thus, they’re creating a new series of personal health stories in comic strip format. And they’ve done mine to kick off the diabetes series! Based on the recent Newsweek article about me…

Check this out:

(Click on the image to be re-routed to the full comic version over at HealthCentral)

Amy_comic_frame_2_2

Gee, I look younger in comics :)

Anyway, would you like to see your own story in “the funnies”?

HealthCentral is accepting submissions on stories about diagnosis, or some kind of struggle, or a triumph — anything having to do with your or your family member’s or friend’s diabetes (or other condition – here’s an example of one for breast cancer). They’ll be showcasing a new comic every month. It’s an ongoing process, so submit yours any time by emailing the HC team HERE. I’ll be on the lookout for you all!

1. Courtney
    Courtney February 29, 2008 at 7:54 am | | Reply

That is way cool Amy :)

2. Beth
    Beth February 29, 2008 at 8:05 am | | Reply

It is a perfect illustration of what an important impact you have had on so many of us — thanks, and keep up the good work!

3. Brian
    Brian February 29, 2008 at 8:51 am | | Reply

Amy,

I very much enjoy reading your blog. I have a 11 year old son with Type 1 diabetes and celiac disease.

Brian

4. elizabeth joy arnold
    elizabeth joy arnold February 29, 2008 at 11:04 am | | Reply

That’s the coolest thing!! I’d say the first picture makes you look younger, but the others make you look like you’re on your deathbed. I’d want to kick the artist.

Is it really true there are more adults diagnosed with T1 than there were previously? It’s interesting, I’ve met a handful of adults who were recently diagnosed with T1, but hadn’t realized it was more likely now. I wonder what the heck’s in our food supply?

5. Hannah
    Hannah February 29, 2008 at 12:06 pm | | Reply

That’s completely adorable. I think that one of those other generic bloggers towards the end of the strip, the blondes in red shirts, is me. ;)

6. M
    M February 29, 2008 at 6:28 pm | | Reply

How many of you have actually “passed out” from this?

7. AmyT
    AmyT March 1, 2008 at 9:42 am | | Reply

Thanks, Guys. Hey Elizabeth, I guess I was sorta on my deathbed at the time.

M – I haven’t personally passed out, but I know many who have — causing car accidents, ER visits, ruining a daughter’s wedding, etc. Ugh.

8. Rizwana
    Rizwana March 6, 2008 at 9:06 am | | Reply

I LOVE IT!! This is great.I have been reading your blog religiously for the past month and I want to thank you for sharing thoughts, and research regarding Diabetes. I was thought I was alone, and that talking about diabetes was not right…as someone pointed out to me the other day ” why do you advertise the fact that you have diabetes..it’s like someone who has cancer is going around telling people that they have cancer!!” —anyway thank you so much for taking the time and effort to blog your thoughts about diabetes and giving the courage for others not to shy away from this disease but look it straight in the eyes.

9. camille johnson
    camille johnson March 9, 2008 at 10:44 am | | Reply

I’ve had TypeI for 28 years. Starting just 4 years ago, I started passing out quite regularly – 18 times and 18 trips to the emergency room in the last 6 months. Many, many doctor visits, and changes in insulin use later, I still don’t feel comfortable knowing it could happen again at any time. I applied for a DexCom Continuous Glucose Monitor but my insurance co. (BCBS) turned me down, even though my Endocrynologist stated that, in my case, this is truly a life threatening emergency.

10. Erica campbell.