SWEET!

Talk about perks of having a chronic illness. I get to review jewelry! Have I mentioned that I love jewelry — even the medical kind? Although the less medical-looking, the better.

So check out this sweet little thang:

Hah_bracelet

It’s very Tiffany’s, no? How’s this for a Valentine’s surprise for that beautiful PWD in your life?

This is the latest addition to my medical bracelet collection, the “chunky sterling silver” model from HAH Originals. But don’t get thinking that my hubby got romantic on me. Mine was provided by HAH complimentary for review purposes here. Hugs to them!

I must admit I was a little surprised when I first opened the package at how very shiny the silver was. I usually prefer my silver jewelry with a more subtle, brushed finish. These bracelets also seem to run quite small, as I have a tiny wrist and was concerned that even the 7″ small size might be too loose. If anything, it’s bordering on too tight. But then again, I’m glad it doesn’t hang too much, because heavy bobbing charms just get in the way when I’m typing, cooking, testing glucose, etc. In that sense, the “chunky” fits just right.

Lots of other mouth-watering (and life-saving) jewelry designs can be found HERE and HERE (check out those beaded watches). And also HERE and HERE. I also like the look of almost everything at StickyJewelry, and for the kids and workouts, try Design-A-Band.com.

What’s your favorite diabetes-related bling or bauble?

And a sweet, sugar-free Valentine’s Day to All! (yeah, it’s still got carbs)

1. Amalas
    Amalas February 14, 2008 at 8:04 am | | Reply

My favorite is without a doubt Fiddledee IDs. http://www.fiddledeeids.com/ I also have small wrists and like my bracelets to be tight instead of hanging, so I get the kid’s sizes. =) The modular nature also means you can get a new band without getting a new nameplate, or you can get a new nameplate without getting a new band.

2. Windy
    Windy February 14, 2008 at 8:57 am | | Reply

Next to the taste tester at Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream plant, you have to have the coolest job ever.

3. joan
    joan February 14, 2008 at 9:06 am | | Reply

I like the plain bracelet that easily identifies that I am type I. I admit that I am not a jewelry wearer (except I love earrings)and while the bracelets you show in the blog are very pretty, I am concerned a paramedic would not see it as a medic alert bracelet. I am interested in hearing from those who wear the diabetes “bling” if they had problems being identified as diabetic from medical personnel.

4. Khürt Williams
    Khürt Williams February 14, 2008 at 12:51 pm | | Reply

MedicAlert bracelet is all the bling I allow myself.

5. CALpumper
    CALpumper February 15, 2008 at 10:36 am | | Reply

I like the way you think Khürt.

This is where I got my latest ID bracelet:

It is a simple sterling silver charm bracelet. On the front is the Medical Symbol, on the back is my name and Type I Diabetes.

I wore a necklace when I was a child then moved onto a stainless steel bracelet that I had for over 15 years.

Suggestion, whatever works for you. Personally I suggest the stainless steel as I never take my bracelet off. Sterling silver tends to ware and that disappointed me greatly as it does not shine like it used to. I am a no maintenance gal, not a lot of jewelry so I would rather not worry about keeping it “cleaned”.

I also agree with being careful about the type of jewelry and the manner in which you display your medical alert id. Of course you do not want anyone to miss it in the case of an emergency.

Again, if it works for you, work it! Go bling Amy, it suits you! ;-)

6. AmyT
    AmyT February 15, 2008 at 11:02 am | | Reply

Hey Guys,

I also once worried about the “bling” not being recognized in case of emergency. See http://www.diabetesmine.com/2005/05/too_pretty_to_s.html

Check out all the comments there, too. Helped calm my fears.

7. RhonnyR
    RhonnyR February 15, 2008 at 11:58 am | | Reply

I have been wearing this James Avery for at least 5 years and I have never once taken it off.

It’s sterling silver but I have never had to polish it. And…it goes with EVERYTHING!

8. Amanda
    Amanda March 9, 2008 at 1:16 pm | | Reply

Another great site you should check out is cutemedicalbracelets.com They are super affordable and lots to choose from.

9. allen
    allen April 8, 2009 at 10:42 am | | Reply

Study of Oral Insulin for Type 2 Diabetes Patients

Since the development of various synthetic medications to help type 2 diabetes patients maintain control of their blood sugar levels, insulin has been used as a “last resort”. This is because insulin could only be taken using needles. This is despite the fact that it may be the most appropriate treatment. Well, medical researchers are studying new ways to provide type 2 diabetes patients with insulin orally (by mouth). In fact, a research center near you is currently seeking participants for a study assessing the safety and effectiveness of an investigational type 2 diabetes medication: insulin taken in capsule form by mouth.

Who is eligible for this clinical research study?

Qualified study participants will meet the following entry criteria*:
    • Have type 2 diabetes
    • Be 18 to 70 years old
    • NOT taking insulin, Actos, Avandia, or Byetta

*These are just a few of the study entry requirements. There are others that may make you ineligible to participate; these can be discussed with a study representative.

If you are eligible and decide to participate, you will receive study-related medical care and study medication at no cost.

To learn more, please visit our website at http://www.oralinsulinstudy.com/index.asp?c=dm
    or call 1-866-954-0021.

10. Sarah
    Sarah November 21, 2009 at 11:33 am | | Reply

My younger sister is a very brittle diabetic and she is also very stubborn, so she didn’t want anything to gaudy or all metal. My family worries a lot about her, so I found this website, that sells all kinds of different styles of diabetes medical alert ID jewelry; like leather cord and diabetic guitar pick pendants, heishi shells, cloth bracelets with silk ID labels, and hemp jewelry. They have stuff that I haven’t seen from any other diabetes jewelry site. Everything they sell is surprisingly cheap and very stylish. I would highly recommend that people check out this diabetes jewelry website, because my sister finally found something she actually likes and wears daily, thank God. http://www.mjcdiabeticjewelry.com/home