Opportunity Knocks

Knock-knock… Who’s there? YOU. You-Who?

Exactly. Yoo-hoo, PWDs (people with diabetes) and all readers of this blog. If you can forgive this corny opening, please read today’s call for your involvement on several fronts:

1) Want to be a media star? Or at least quoted in a story on “the lack of coordination in health care,Intl_med_signs_2
especially for diabetics” in the AARP and More magazines? Journalist and author Shannon Brownlee is working on a story about how our system fails to care for the whole patient, and how the medical left
hand often doesn’t talk to the right. She’s looking for PWDs ages 50-70 to with personal stories to share, i.e. the myth of the “health care team” for treating diabetes, and how you may have suffered for it. btw, Brownlee is author of the new book “Overtreated: Why Too Much Medicine is Making Us Sicker and Poorer.” Find her contact info HERE.

2) Interested in trying a CGM (continuous glucose monitor)? DexCom, makers of the DexCom Seven wireless system, is calling all patients who have not yet tried a CGM — or even an insulin pump — to fill out a marketing survey HERE. They’re looking for opinions from people who have “not yet decided that these technologies are right for them,” ostensibly to understand what makes us patient-types decide to take the plunge (possibly in connection with their new partnership with OmniPod developers – ?) The survey apparently takes about 20 minutes, and for your time, a donation will be made in your name to either the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) or the American Diabetes Association (ADA).

3) DiabetesMine.com has proudly been nominated for “Best Medical Weblog” and “Best Patient Blog” onMedblog_awards_3 the web over at Medgadget’s famed 2007 Medical Blog Awards. Please take a moment to look over all the cool candidates, and if so inclined, cast your vote for this particular hard-workin’ PWD. Polls are open until Sunday, Jan. 20, 2008 at midnight (PST). A million thanks!

4) The door is always open to share your stories here. DiabetesMine’s Holy @#$! Amazing Stories category features just that — any kind of eyebrow-lifting tale you wish to share about diagnosis, or life thereafter, living with the Big D. Meanwhile, the Diabetic Partner Follies is the place for partners and loved ones of PWDs to do the same. Please send all inquiries and submissions to me HERE. Images welcome, too, of course.

5) Be well!

1. Amalas
    Amalas January 9, 2008 at 8:49 am | | Reply

I just tried to take the Dexcom survey and it’s not available anymore.

2. Amanda
    Amanda January 9, 2008 at 9:04 am | | Reply

That’s a ditto re: Dexcom survey. Too bad. I was excited.

3. landileigh
    landileigh January 9, 2008 at 9:25 am | | Reply

just want to let you know that the survey is closed for DexCom.

4. Mark
    Mark January 9, 2008 at 9:56 am | | Reply

Amy,
    Don’t worry, I already voted for you.

5. AmyT
    AmyT January 9, 2008 at 10:49 am | | Reply

Hmm, sorry about the survey. I’ve got an urgent message into DexCom asking what’s up, since they seemed to be so keen on continuing participation.

6. M
    M January 9, 2008 at 1:34 pm | | Reply

I had no trouble getting into the survey, but I only wish they’d mentioned it was only for Americans! I thought it would be so, but since it didn’t say anything I took it anyway. Right at the end I realise I can’t do anything because the ‘where are you from’ bit ONLY allows you to put in a city / state in America.
    Amy, perhaps you can edit so we know it’s just for Americans – and I hope the writers of the survey will do the same.

7. scott
    scott January 9, 2008 at 3:14 pm | | Reply

There was no problem getting into the survey. I am interested however how they plan to make a donation to JDRF in my name when that information was not gathered before, during, or after the survey???

8. Deb
    Deb January 9, 2008 at 5:53 pm | | Reply

Hi all – the survey is back up and live. thank you and thank you Amy!

9. Christine Miserandino
    Christine Miserandino January 9, 2008 at 9:57 pm | | Reply

great website! CONGRATS!!!! so well deserved! (I voted!) it is always amazing to work with you

10. Shaun
    Shaun January 9, 2008 at 10:17 pm | | Reply

Congratulations on the award. You definitely deserve. One of the best diabetes blogs on the net. I know I refer to you often on my own blog: