OmniPod + DexCom = Yippee!

[Post title borrowed from a Reader email :) ]

Today Insulet Corp, makers of the tube-free insulin delivery system OmniPod, and DexCom Inc., makers of the wireless continuous glucose monitor DexCom Seven, have announced plans to develop a combined product. Yippee! Read the full announcement HERE.

Logo_omnipod

Dexcom_logo

The skinny:

The PDM with DexCom technology will combine the functionality of both systems’ handheld receivers into one single handheld wireless device, eliminating the need for a separate receiver. The PDM will be used to program the wearable OmniPod with insulin delivery instructions and will also receive and display continuous glucose readings directly from DexCom’s wearable sensor transmitter. The integrated system will provide patients with continuous information about glucose levels and allow patients to continuously track trends, enabling them to accurately anticipate excursions outside of normal glucose levels and to make appropriate treatment adjustments. Alarms on the PDM will immediately alert the patient when glucose levels are outside of the target range, allowing the patient the opportunity to intervene and prevent acute events. Development, clinical and regulatory efforts are expected to continue throughout 2008, with an anticipated product launch in mid-2009.

Wow, Insulet sure had us fooled. Strong rumor had it they were working with Abbott on an integration with the Navigator CGM. But since that product’s been stalled with the FDA for, well… forever, it looks like DexCom beat them to the altar. Pretty exciting, if the combo product is as accurate as the OmniPod and small and sleek as the DexCom.

For the moment, all I can say is: Mazel Tov!

**** UPDATE 1/10/08 ****

This week, Dexcom also signed a joint development agreement with Animas Corp., to integrate its wireless CGM technology into Animas’ insulin pump models by early 2010. Looks like the whole push is really gaining some traction here!

***************************

1. Sara
    Sara January 7, 2008 at 5:29 pm | | Reply

Hmm, maybe I will look a little harder at the Omni. Endo suggested it but I saw no reason to bail on MiniMed. Maybe I have one now.

2. Mark
    Mark January 8, 2008 at 1:19 am | | Reply

I can’t tell by the tone of what you wrote today if you are pleased (just joking).

3. JasonJayhawk
    JasonJayhawk January 8, 2008 at 1:23 am | | Reply

My endocrinologist said that this would be happening. I wonder how much “insider knowledge” was out there manipulating their stock prices before it was announced to the public. Wow! (I think the “Diabetic Investor” guy should analyze their stock to see if it fluxed any once knowledge was leaking out…)

4. Greg C
    Greg C January 8, 2008 at 5:35 am | | Reply

This deal with Dexcom is non-exclusive joint development deal just like the Navigator ABT deal. It sounds like PODD is hedging their bet. Great move.

5. Albert
    Albert January 8, 2008 at 6:19 am | | Reply

It’ll be interesting to see how this develops and how effective the whole system will be.

6. Andy
    Andy January 8, 2008 at 7:49 am | | Reply

It was the next step in development. I think Minimed already started on this way by incorporating pumps with Guardian system, although I don’t now how the status of this project is… For Omnipod it was just the next step. The receiver is PDA, so it could do much more, than it’s doing now… To bad that Animas implantable sensor is not ready yet (after so many years of design), that would be a treat. Animas pump, with sensor that works for about 3 years, no additional hassle… We just have to wait a year… or few, so that CGMs become more “popular”.

7. chris
    chris January 9, 2008 at 12:01 pm | | Reply

I wonder if this will have any implications as to whom Abbot will cozy up with whenever, if ever, the Navigator gets approval. I’ve got my fingers crossed for a Cozmo/Navigaotr partnership…

8. Dan Fahey
    Dan Fahey January 11, 2008 at 6:54 am | | Reply

Are there any Omnipod users that are already also using the Dexcom Continuous BGM?
    Any that just use Dexcom, with or without an insulin pump?
    Right now, the only integrated product is by Minimed, and I don’t like its tubed infusion set.
    Yet the integrated Omnipod/Dexcom product is likely 18 months away.

9. EmoryCole
    EmoryCole January 11, 2008 at 8:01 am | | Reply

Andy posted:

That’s what I’ve heard “unofficially” from Cozmo folks! Now if only Navigator could get approved. Wonder what the hold up is??

10. Randy B
    Randy B January 11, 2008 at 9:15 pm | | Reply

Wow – all of a sudden MiniMed is not the only game in town! First Insulet, and now Animas marrying-up with Dexcom. The competition should prove interesting.

11. Ethan
    Ethan January 13, 2008 at 10:28 pm | | Reply

This is great news. I only wish it was coming sooner. I love the Omnipod conept, I jumped on the chance to get it as soon as it became available in my area. I’m switching from a Cozmo to Omnipod in a couple weeks and adding a Guardian CGMS to help me get better control. I’ll use the Guardian until Omnipod gets set with Dexcom. Things are looking up! It will be interesting to see what Minimed’s next move will be. It’s good to have competition.